wtdedula
Delivery Date: 10 Sep 2017

Re: Advice on taking a road trip in Ohio

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:12 pm

Hello All;
Well I took my road trip this past weekend and learned so much about the range of my 2015 Leaf "S" and also had one terrifying moment that ended up fine. So here's a description of my experiences ... Lots of learning and discoveries here for newbies ...

1. It took me a long time initially to figure out what charging stations I wanted to visit along the way betweek Cleveland, Ohio and Columbus, Ohio - about a distance of 125 miles. At the beginning, I was cautious so I started with about 50% charge and headed to a Nissan Dealer (In Medina, Ohio) about 18 miles away to pick up a full charge. The dealer was nice and let me charge there as there was one free spot (of two). They didn't ask for payment and there were no signs so I assumed it was free. Charging took quite a while - probably about 2-1/2 hrs. When fully charged, I headed to the midpoint of my journey, another Nissan Dealer in Mansfield, Ohio.

I drove 55 miles almost exclusively on the freeway and I used 75% of charge (25% was remaining) by the time I arrived at the Mansfield Nissan Dealer. It was pretty late by the time I arrived so this dealer was closed. I was disappointed to see that the charging station was being used but it appeared that Nissan was charging one of their own vehicles because that had those papers on the window telling about the car's specs. So I decided to remove the charger from their vehicle to charge mine with full intentions to put it back when i was finished. I even left a courtesy voice mail to the dealer letting them know what I was doing. I even left my phone number. I charged there for a few hours and then headed the rest of the way.

2. My remaining leg to Columbus took me from the Medina Nissan to Tangier in Columbus - A distance of about 44 miles. However, I never got there. Here's where things got scary. It was dark outside by the time I exited the freeway and with only about 15% charge left, I ended up going back on the freeway rather than turning Left onto a main road. I began to get so nervous because there were no exits coming up for what seemed like a long while. Finally found an exit and got off with about 8% battery left. I was in Columbus by now so I knew there would be a lot of charging stations here. But because I wasn't familiar with the area and didn't want to chance getting lost, I called my brother (Who I was visiting) to come and drive me to a charging station which he found at a IKEA store just a few miles (or less) away. So we got there OK but it was my first case of range anxiety. I arrived at my destination successfully - Yay !

3. For the trip back to Cleveland the next day, I decided to try an experiment. For the trip back, I decided to take the side screets and not the freeway and ended up having a much better experience.

I started with 100% charge at IKEA of Columbus. By the time I arrived at Nissan of Mansfield a distance of 56.8 miles, I still had 39% of charge left. At Nissan of Mansfield, I charged to 100% in probably 1-1/2 hrs. Then continued on my journey to Nissan of Medina.

4. When I arrived at Nissan of Medina, I noticed I didn't record my power level but I recall I probably had about 40% charge left at least. And this was good because both charging stations at the Medina Nissan were being used. I was only about 20 miles from home at this point so I felt confident that I could make it home with 40% of charge remaining. But rathe r than going home, I decided to go a little further and stop near a Walmart with a quickcharger near my home and charged up to 82 %. Then went home.

So here's what I learned on my trip -

1. I definitely got much better mileage per charge by taking back roads than by taking the freeway. The difference was quite amazing, actually. This means that I will probably always take back roads to Columbus when visiting my brother from now on. This does add about an hour to the total drive but in my opinion, the drive is more relaxing and scenic.

2. The next time I travel, I'll leave early in the morning so as to arrive well before sunset. Now that I know which power stations are available and reliable, this should be possible.

3. I feel quite confident that I will be able to make it from my home to my brother's home with only one charge at the Mansfield Nissan but only if taking the back roads and not the freeway. Cleveland to my brother's house is about 125 miles and I discovered that when taking the back roads, I actually get at least 80 miles on a charge with a 2015 Leaf model "S" with all 12 bars remaining. This is likely not possible if taking the freeway. I do want to note that it was a nice but cool day so I didn't use either my heater or my air conditioner during my entire trip coming or going.

4. I learned on this forum to monitor (and trust) the % charge display more than the miles remaining display. So coming and going, I monitored the % charge display. Plus, I don't think the time to full charge display is that accurate. I think the charging time was actually less. I don't think I spent as much time at the Nissan Dealers as the display said I would.

Tim

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:16 am

I am glad that you had a good adventure. I disagree with you, however, that you will take side roads on such a long trip. I think that maybe you were going fast on the highway, that you got low mileage. You will get the same, and even better mileage on the highway if you keep the speed at about 55. Do not care "what will the other drivers think"... You have the right to travel the speed that you want. ALso, most highways have a minimum speed of 40... so 55 is very reasonable.

forget about the time estimator for charging on the dashboard.... You should start your trip at 100%, and expect to charge at about 25-30 % of charge PER HOUR of waiting.

Finally, if you are going to travel long distance regularly, I would highly recommend an J1772 EXTENSION CABLE so that you can charge even it there is another car blocking you from the charger. I got mine from emotorwerks, and I know that Jlong also makes a very good one, but it is a big expensive.

good luck

pyromancy5
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2017

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 am

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing the adventure. Though, if I make any trips to Cleveland anytime soon, it will be in the wife's ICE Focus. Cinci, on the other hand, with a stop at the Jeffersonville Outlets might make a good trip.

wtdedula
Delivery Date: 10 Sep 2017

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:44 pm

powersurge wrote:I am glad that you had a good adventure. I disagree with you, however, that you will take side roads on such a long trip. I think that maybe you were going fast on the highway, that you got low mileage. You will get the same, and even better mileage on the highway if you keep the speed at about 55. Do not care "what will the other drivers think"... You have the right to travel the speed that you want. ALso, most highways have a minimum speed of 40... so 55 is very reasonable.

forget about the time estimator for charging on the dashboard.... You should start your trip at 100%, and expect to charge at about 25-30 % of charge PER HOUR of waiting.

Finally, if you are going to travel long distance regularly, I would highly recommend an J1772 EXTENSION CABLE so that you can charge even it there is another car blocking you from the charger. I got mine from emotorwerks, and I know that Jlong also makes a very good one, but it is a big expensive.

good luck

I will have to experiment some more but it appeared when I didn't travel on the freeway, I had more battery percentage left than if I did. It seemed to be pretty dramatic to me. I probably traveled about 60 MPH on the highway. Even the side streets were pretty fast, averaging around 50 MPH. There were a few cities I went through where I had to slow down.

Even though traveling on the side streets took longer by perhaps an hour, I feel I made up that time due to less charging time required.

I will plan to make this trip in a few weeks but this time starting much earlier in the day so I arrive in Columbus well before dark. I'll again report on how many miles per charge I am able to get.

Tim

BuckMkII

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:29 am

I was going to suggest that the difference in range on the two days could be due to wind, but looking at the wind history for the Mansfield airport on Weather Underground, it looks like the wind was dead out of the north on Saturday and south to southeasterly on Sunday, so both days seem pretty favorable, or maybe even more directly behind you on Saturday.

But the devil is really in the details there! Terrain can alter wind direction quite a bit and the wind was light at Mansfield on Saturday afternoon. If you had a more effective tailwind component on Sunday, that would seem like a possible explanation.

By "side streets" do you mean US highway 42? (A Douglas Adams fan club should get an Adopt a Highway sign put up on that road. ;) ) Although there doesn't appear to be much terrain along most of that route, could the freeway be a bit hillier?

Did you use cruise control? My only little freeway trip so far (about 20 miles each way) gave me surprisingly good mileage by setting the cruise control just over 50 and keeping my fool feet off the controls.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/ai ... 99999&MR=1

https://www.wunderground.com/history/ai ... .wmo=99999
2013 SV no QC, manufactured July 2013
car grew up in San Jose CA, purchased 5/31/17 in Seattle
on 6/16/17: AHr = 56.4; SOH = 86%; Hx = 84.3; ODO = 39,250
on 9/29/17: AHr = 55.3; SOH = 84%; Hx = 81.6; ODO = 41,492
bar 12 lost 8/21/17

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”