New silicon valley member

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugrik

Just signed the papers on a 3yr lease from Premier Nissan of San Jose. I'll be taking delivery tomorrow or the day after depending on when their service department finishes prep; evidently 4-weeks-worth of Leafs all arrived at once (notably early!) and there's a queue to finish them.

I ordered a black SL with the zero stickers on it and I'm installing my own Leviton L2 charger at home (the Nema6-20 socket is already in place; I have twin 50A lines in the garage due to previous at-home-welding efforts that are no longer there). I also have an industrial workshop with tons of power (that's where all the welding gear went!) so I'm looking into setting up public charge stations there if possible. I've got solar plans for mid/late 2012 at the shop, but as I rent the home I'll avoid putting them there (my landlord, while a nice guy, has no interest in investing in solar and I don't want to buy it for him).

My leaf was originally supposed to ship in late December. Then, a month ago, it was suddenly bumped to "mid September", which threw a few monkey wrenches in my fiscal planning. Then this huge batch arrived 2-3 weeks earlier than even that and I got the call yesterday saying "yo, your Leaf is here!". Got the downpay together by the skin of my teeth (so much for saving up for December delivery!) as if I'd declined it wouldn't be until next June before I could get one again, or so the dealer said. So I'm happy to be a Leaf owner earlier than planned even though my wallet is making sad-eyes at me now.

My area of San Jose has had a Leafsplosion these last few months. It went from seeing one or two a month to seeing 2-5 _a day_ in my usual commutes. The blue is by far the most common, followed by the silver, then the red. I'm glad I ordered the black nega-Leaf as I've only seen one other on the road so far, so it's not as common a color. If only they'd sold a properly deep blue instead of the blue they have...

One advantage I have: my employer's buildings have L2 chargers already. The new building we're constructing north of downtown will hopefully have them too; that's in progress. I'm going to use the Leaf for daily commutes. For longer weekend-travels and hauling stuff to the shop I've got a trusty little Ford Transit Connect.

garygid said:
You should link up with the SF LEAF Gathering crowd, if you have not done so already.
Yes, welcome! Please join us at the next meeting, they are fun: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do consider joining us on September 10th up in Union City. The coffee, bagels and comradery at the tailgate party alone are worth the trip, not to mention the formal program :lol: And, yes, LEAFs are sprouting up all over San Jose--there are now four of us that live within a 1000 foot radius.

trentr said:
Welcome! I'm just wondering if you considered the EV Project for a free L2 charger and L3 port?

I've submitted my app there and I'm waiting to hear back, yes. :) However as I rent my house I may not qualify even though my landlord is all for me installing chargers. Been renting this same place for 18 years now and I've done all kinds of upgrades. But these programs all seem to have a hate-on for renters and punt you out the minute you don't fly the 'own the house' flag.

Tugrik said:
trentr said:
Welcome! I'm just wondering if you considered the EV Project for a free L2 charger and L3 port?

I've submitted my app there and I'm waiting to hear back, yes. :) However as I rent my house I may not qualify even though my landlord is all for me installing chargers. Been renting this same place for 18 years now and I've done all kinds of upgrades. But these programs all seem to have a hate-on for renters and punt you out the minute you don't fly the 'own the house' flag.

Unfortunately, I've heard that the EV Project does tend to reject renters, regardless of how long you've been renting. They probably think that since you rent, you're more likely to move away before the end of the info gathering program and thus don't want to enter you into the program. You might want to try contacting Blink directly and ask if supplementing information from the homeowner may strengthen your case for getting into the program (no guarantees but can't hurt to try and ask).

Back