New member 2024

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plisken65

Hello, long time lurker; first time poster. Picked up a 2022 LEAF SL plus with 1200 miles on odometer in April 2023. First EV ever after weeks of research. Almost went Bolt, but those seats...couldnt do it. Plus trusted the battery fire safety on the LEAF more. I'm located in SW Ohio and have been using this forum to answer alot of questions, so thank you. I only L2 at home, and have been taking care of battery best I can. I drive 26 mile highway commute (one way) and charge roughly every other day. Been enjoying the car so far, zero issues even in sub zero temps last month.

Did think of a couple questions:
1. Are highway speeds hard on the battery? Seem to remember a post about weak cells from hard acceleration...

2. Do the propilot sensors self heat? Had them malfunction after a frost, but about 10 miles down the road they cleared up and began functioning, again.

1200 miles? I put more than that on mine in a little over 2 months!
Higher speed take more power from the battery than the same distance covered at lower speed. SO is it harder, yes, is it damaging? not likely.
Apparently, a fairly well-off couple bought it to drive until their Toyota Highlander came in, then traded it back in. I'm proud to be owner #2!

Hello, long time lurker; first time poster. Picked up a 2022 LEAF SL plus with 1200 miles on odometer in April 2023. First EV ever after weeks of research. Almost went Bolt, but those seats...couldnt do it. Plus trusted the battery fire safety on the LEAF more. I'm located in SW Ohio and have been using this forum to answer alot of questions, so thank you. I only L2 at home, and have been taking care of battery best I can. I drive 26 mile highway commute (one way) and charge roughly every other day. Been enjoying the car so far, zero issues even in sub zero temps last month.

Did think of a couple questions:
1. Are highway speeds hard on the battery? Seem to remember a post about weak cells from hard acceleration...

2. Do the propilot sensors self heat? Had them malfunction after a frost, but about 10 miles down the road they cleared up and began functioning, again.
Given that you have the larger battery, driving down the highway in a side-by-side comparison of the 40 kWh and 62/60 kWh Leaf would use similar power at the same speed, but the larger battery is experiencing less stress because the portion of power being used is a smaller "stress" on it. For example, you are cruising down the highway and using 20 kW of power. The 62/60 kWh battery rated max is 160 kW, so you are only using (20 / 160) 12.5% of it's rated power, while the 40 kWh Leaf is rated for 110 kW, so you are using (20 / 110) = 18.2% of it's rated power. So the bigger battery is experiencing nearly 46% less capacity stress. Granted the bigger battery Leaf is also heavier, so it's not perfect math, but you get the general idea.

You have two sets that both need to be working properly. The radar in the front needs to be clear, so snow, ice, or even heavy rain can block it. It does not self heat, so in theory, if the front was covered in ice, you could pour warm water over the front to try and melt it off. Sure, some water will refreeze on it, but if the ice is small, it should be no different than a light rain shower to the radar. The next one is the camera above your rear-view mirror. It must have an unobstructed view of the road as well. The wiper can usually take care of that for rain, but if ice is building up on the wipers or around the camera, it's view can be blocked. Either one of those can cancel out any pro-pilot features if they are blocked. If the camera is blocked that can interfere with the auto-high beams too, you'll be blinding everyone. 😏

Given that you have the larger battery, driving down the highway in a side-by-side comparison of the 40 kWh and 62/60 kWh Leaf would use similar power at the same speed, but the larger battery is experiencing less stress because the portion of power being used is a smaller "stress" on it. For example, you are cruising down the highway and using 20 kW of power. The 62/60 kWh battery rated max is 160 kW, so you are only using (20 / 160) 12.5% of it's rated power, while the 40 kWh Leaf is rated for 110 kW, so you are using (20 / 110) = 18.2% of it's rated power. So the bigger battery is experiencing nearly 46% less capacity stress. Granted the bigger battery Leaf is also heavier, so it's not perfect math, but you get the general idea.

You have two sets that both need to be working properly. The radar in the front needs to be clear, so snow, ice, or even heavy rain can block it. It does not self heat, so in theory, if the front was covered in ice, you could pour warm water over the front to try and melt it off. Sure, some water will refreeze on it, but if the ice is small, it should be no different than a light rain shower to the radar. The next one is the camera above your rear-view mirror. It must have an unobstructed view of the road as well. The wiper can usually take care of that for rain, but if ice is building up on the wipers or around the camera, it's view can be blocked. Either one of those can cancel out any pro-pilot features if they are blocked. If the camera is blocked that can interfere with the auto-high beams too, you'll be blinding everyone. 😏
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm not sure what happened. I usually garage the car, but needed it to sit out overnight and that's when it got the frost. Forward collision warning and lane departure warning blinked on and off, and pro pilot wouldnt engage, but after driving a few minutes all was well. I figured the frost had melted. Still learning all the bells and whistles.

When it’s frosty I often get the same warnings and sometimes it clears on that drive sometimes it doesn’t until the drive home when it’s warmer. Can’t count on those things in certain weather. I really enjoy driving my 2020 SL Plus.

Back