Ingineer, I'd like contact re: Extending the range of Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerdow

I'm thinking of getting a leaf in the UK and I'm thinking of ways to extend its range as there are few fast charging points here and anyway I don't want to fry the batteries by fast charging. I was thinking you could put a big lump of deep cycle lead acid batteries in the trunk and connect them up via the charger, but I'm wondering if the software would allow it to charge at the samre time as driving. Found Ingineer on the web with a fossil fuel generator device so presumably you have encountered this issue? I'm an electronics engineer.

rogerdow said:
I'm thinking of getting a leaf in the UK and I'm thinking of ways to extend its range as there are few fast charging points here and anyway I don't want to fry the batteries by fast charging. I was thinking you could put a big lump of deep cycle lead acid batteries in the trunk and connect them up via the charger, but I'm wondering if the software would allow it to charge at the samre time as driving. Found Ingineer on the web with a fossil fuel generator device so presumably you have encountered this issue? I'm an electronics engineer.

You won't fry the batteries fast charging, if you do then you are driving more than 150K miles per year. Putting lead in the car is a very bad idea period. Using the factory charger to charge an aux pack is very complicated. Your best bet is a range extension trailer without lead acid and a separate charger or an efficient generator trailer. The first is the most affordable and the latter is expensive. If people tell you you can add reasonably to the existing pack in the trunk affordably and safely it is simply not true, quoting cell prices on easy does not make a pack. You can contact Ingineer at http://www.evseugrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

rogerdow said:
I'm thinking of getting a leaf in the UK and I'm thinking of ways to extend its range as there are few fast charging points here....
we will have ~100 DC Fast Chargers in the UK early next year and several thousand AC Charging Stations as well... I think for a small Island we will have plenty of places to charge :)

Back