bjn
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2015

Re: BMS Details

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm buying a Leaf battery pack from a junk yard. I'm going to connect it 32s3p instead of 96s1p, to get ~120V nominal. I would save some money if I could use the original BMS with the new battery config, instead of buying an aftermarket BMS. Do you think that would work?

Will the BMS auto-balance cells when needed? or is that decision made somewhere else in the car, and sent to the BMS over the CAN interface?

In other words, do I need to write some code which reads the BMS through CAN, and sends commands to activate the shunts when appropriate? or will the BMS brain do that for me, so that just a simple monitoring app like Leaf spy would be needed?

EDIT: another thought, would it be beneficial to connect all ASICs (3 paralleled ASICs per cell group) to the reconfigured battery, so that the BMS "thinks" that "everything is fine, all 96 cells connected"? Or wouldn't that matter, BMS would work fine even if 64 cells are "dead"?

bjn
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2015

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:37 pm

The battery pack arrived to the garage yesterday and I removed the lid. I also bought an ELM 327 OBDII to Bluetooth.

I made a simple cable to connect the ELM 327.
I bought the female OBDII from a junkyard, the guy gave me one which has the ability to reconfigure the pins. I removed all pins and added only four - pin5 (GND), pin16 (12V) and pins 6+14 (CAN). It turned out that the round connector in the Leaf battery has a standard 0.1" spacing, which was neat because I could use simple standard female headers for that end. In the upper left of the round battery connector are two 12V pins. Upper right are two CAN pins. Just below the CAN pins are three GND pins.

The ELM 327 and BMS powered up on first attempt,

and I could connect with the App.

Everything just worked. Thanks for the info in this thread. Thank you for the App, Turbo3.

Looks like my pack is in good condition. It's from a 2013 Leaf with only 6800km.
Next step will be to take the pack apart and connect it 3p. Then I will attempt the modifications to the BMS.

gtmarinoart
Delivery Date: 19 Sep 2014

Tue May 19, 2015 10:43 am

Hello, I need help , you need the content of EEPROM 93s86 bms leaf 2011-2012 :D

AlexT
Delivery Date: 25 May 2015

Mon May 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Hello everyone! I'm from the city of Kiev. It Ukraine. My friends and I remake Porsche 924 in electric vehicle. It will be installed with 96 units Nissan Leaf. Therefore we wanted to ask your advice if we can install this machine on the BMS, to our 96 modules. What you need to do, or it is not possible. Thanks to all!

nikmaster
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2013

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Possible, but the they have to be connected as 96 cells - two in parallel, and also is not sure that this will be able to do the balancing, since is calculated to one pack balancing only

Augtron
Delivery Date: 04 Nov 2015

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:40 am

Hi,

I am doing a vectrix conversion to leaf batteries and want to use the leaf BMS. I am only managing 18 modules with 36 cells. So all I have to do is bypass the remaining 60 ASICs? Did anyone confirm that it would balance cells and initiate charger cut off?

Glyndwr1998
Delivery Date: 23 Nov 2016

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:32 am

Hi to the forum, was directed here from another forum member from a renewables forum.

I have got a leaf battery from a 2014 model gen 2 cells, complete. I want to use the complete pack in a home energy recovery system to work with my solar pv and a ups.

Is it possible to connect a micro controller like an arduino or duinomite with can bus connector, Imwoiod definately use leafspy with an elm327 as an instant visual display to indicate the condition of the pack, but I would also like to use the same can messages for battery voltage, pack voltage and temperature sensors into an arduino to control the charge and discharge process.
The leafspy already knows what these messages are as they are already reading and displaying them.
I'd need to know what the can message addresses are to write them into code for the micro controller.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you. Anthony.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Glyndwr1998 wrote:Hi to the forum, was directed here from another forum member from a renewables forum.

I have got a leaf battery from a 2014 model gen 2 cells, complete. I want to use the complete pack in a home energy recovery system to work with my solar pv and a ups.

Is it possible to connect a micro controller like an arduino or duinomite with can bus connector, Imwoiod definately use leafspy with an elm327 as an instant visual display to indicate the condition of the pack, but I would also like to use the same can messages for battery voltage, pack voltage and temperature sensors into an arduino to control the charge and discharge process.
The leafspy already knows what these messages are as they are already reading and displaying them.
I'd need to know what the can message addresses are to write them into code for the micro controller.

Thank you. Anthony.

Review this thread for how to read BMS information.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11676

framuga
Delivery Date: 17 May 2016

Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:48 am

Very interesting thread. Can someone tell me where to buy a battery pack leaf in Europe? Thank you

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:30 am

Glyndwr1998 wrote:Hi to the forum, was directed here from another forum member from a renewables forum.

Thank you. Anthony.

Anthony;
Did you ever successfully integrate into (assuming an off-grid) solar system (or maybe energy shifting GT scheme?) What UPS where you considering to operate at such high DC voltages?
2012 Leaf SL; 34,000 miles. 12 bars - Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.
4000 watts Grid-tied solar. 3000 watts (level II) off-grid solar Leaf charging capable.

Return to “Engineering”