Month Settable TOU Blackout

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeHorse

One thing I'd really like to see in these units, be it the Evr-Greens or the Smart Charger by AV is will any of the units be monthly programmable so that it will prevent -- or at least make it very difficult for me to charge during peak hours. And will it be possible to set the TOU off-peak hours on a 12-month calendar. For instance, could I program my EVSE to only operate:

Jan: 11:00 - 17:00 & 21:00 - 07:00
Feb: 11:00 - 17:00 & 21:00 - 07:00
Mar: 11:00 - 17:00 & 21:00 - 07:00
Apr: 11:00 - 17:00 & 21:00 - 07:00
May: 11:00 - 17:00 & 21:00 - 07:00
Jun: 22:00 - 11:00
Jul: 22:00 - 11:00
Aug: 22:00 - 11:00
Sep: 22:00 - 11:00
Oct: 11:00 - 17:00 & 21:00 - 07:00
Nov: 11:00 - 17:00 & 21:00 - 07:00
Dec: 11:00 - 17:00 & 21:00 - 07:00

Of course, my electric company includes Morgan Freeman. No, I mean my electric company considers national holidays like 4 July as 100% off-peak but that should be a manual over-ride since I think day-programming is a bit much. Well, month-programming is a bit much, but man would it rock. Also, take 15 minutes off either end to make sure the TOU time doesn't differ from my EVSE time. Then again, what about daylight savings...?

That is only two setting-changes per year, but "basic" EVSEs will not have that capability.

However, you can set your LEAF to do a "timer-charge" (to start at a designated time) and set a "charge-max-duration" (to terminate charging at a certain time, even if the car is not "full").

Presumably, there is also a "charge-now, until-full" button, and a start now and charge for only the set duration (to use out in "public").

garygid said:
That is only two setting-changes per year, but "basic" EVSEs will not have that capability.

However, you can set your LEAF to do a "timer-charge" (to start at a designated time) and set a "charge-max-duration" (to terminate charging at a certain time, even if the car is not "full").

Presumably, there is also a "charge-now, until-full" button, and a start now and charge for only the set duration (to use out in "public").

Well, I'll probably just need to write an iPhone app for it, since I don't want to have to remember when TOU starts and then make a mistake. Should be able to set it once and forget it.

EDIT: Although for me, I'll probably be alright if I say don't charge before 22:15 every night.

Eventually the in-car settings will probably allow flexible, seasonal, etc. settings, but initially we will be fortunate to have user-settings at all.

Yes, you found a "universal" setting that would seem to work all year for you.

Initially, even an iPhone app might not be able to change the car's settings, though it might be able to tell the car to "Start Charging" and "Stop Charging".

Program the charging window into an Arduino or BasicSTAMP, and have the micro open or close a contacter/relay upstream of the EVSE?

Back