L3 Fast Charger, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taka

I am starting this thread as a place to post any info on level III Fast Charger.

Starting with Aker Wade

http://www.akerwade.com/v.php?pg=70

Aker Wade LEVEL 3 ADVANCED CHARGER SOLUTIONS

VOLUME PER QTR FLEET MODEL STREET MODEL
0-24 $47,400.00 $59,880,00
25-99 $41,400.00 $53,880.00
100 + $35,400.00 $47,880.00

Did contact Nissan on the Quick EV Charger but no response so far.

Hey Nissan

Condo leafer's looking for your L3 Charger!!!!

Would be nice to get at least a price and date when it will be available!

Why do we need a thread on L3 charger costs and comparisons. This seems to be a waste of time and yet another item on the list that will drift off topic.

My condo HOA is looking for a L3 charger to install. So far we have 2 Leaf order in the building. The main electric room is too far away from our assigned parking stalls and next to the electric room parking is limited. Would be able to assign 2-3 parking stalls for charging usable only at night.
Nissan is talking about their 17K or less L3 charger that will be installed in Japan at some dealers. Did send 2 inquire mails to Nissan USA but did not get any response yet. I’m sure some other condo Leafer’s will look at the L3 charging.

Taka said:
My condo HOA is looking for a L3 charger to install....... The main electric room is too far away from our assigned parking stalls and next to the electric room parking is limited.
I would be surprized if there was even 3 phase power available.

Besides more L2s would seem to work better.

Taka said:
My condo HOA is looking for a L3 charger to install. So far we have 2 Leaf order in the building. The main electric room is too far away from our assigned parking stalls and next to the electric room parking is limited. Would be able to assign 2-3 parking stalls for charging usable only at night.
Nissan is talking about their 17K or less L3 charger that will be installed in Japan at some dealers. Did send 2 inquire mails to Nissan USA but did not get any response yet. I’m sure some other condo Leafer’s will look at the L3 charging.

YOu must have an HOA with very deep reserves to spend this kind of money on a charger that is likely not needed when you can just use L2 units instead. Why would they want to invest this type of money for a benefit that is likely not needed. Do they also understand the installation costs for L3 electrical requirements? Code requirements for a device like this? This seems like a decision that has not been fully researched or understood and that it would make far more sense to get far more high quality L2 units which would give more utility.

With ONLY 3 parking spots available, ...

only 3 vehicles can be charged over-night using L2 (8-hour) charging.

However, using QC (240v) one can charge (only to 80%?) 6 cars PER HOUR, so maybe 18 cars during each evening, and perhaps 6 more in the morning.

Since large apartment complexes might have "plenty" of power at the property's input service transformer, QC is a possibility.

Further, since a QC unit (it is "just" a DC power supply, with some "control") could be designed to run without requiring 3-phase power, there is no real reason that at least one "QC2" could not be quite useful there.

Right and they all run out to see who is done at night. Unfortunately all L3 units must have 440 and charging the pack every eve on L3 does not seem like a good idea on the pack. For the money of an L3 unit and the expensive cost of installation it seems a better solution could be found to trench, etc and put in more L2 units or just three L2 units. It's not like people are going to go down and keep swapping cars, it would become a logistical hassle after time.

A cooperative sign-up list for QC charging times, with half-hour blocks, would cure the logistics.

Of course, I realize that such a "system" would be dangerously close to "sharing". :)

garygid said:
A cooperative sign-up list for QC charging times, with half-hour blocks, would cure the logistics.

Of course, I realize that such a "system" would be dangerously close to "sharing". :)
It is hard enough to get residents to swap laundry when completed. Never work with EV unless there is an attendent.
Multiple L2, even L1 would work far better in the long run at a destination charge point.
L3 makes more sense for enroute chargepoint.

smkettner said:
garygid said:

It is hard enough to get residents to swap laundry when completed. Never work with EV unless there is an attendent.
Multiple L2, even L1 would work far better in the long run at a destination charge point.
L3 makes more sense for enroute chargepoint.

I could not agree more. Peoples have dynamic schedules and at times you come home and connect and need to take off, go to sleep etc. This is a very bad model and a poor investment on a single unit selection that will also put high stress on pack s that are connected while hot.

Yes, "Sharing", "Cooperation", and "Responsibility" seem to be tough concepts for many humanoids to master and practice.

But, the sign-up often works at the tennis courts, nail appointments, performing arts tickets, and sometimes even golf.

Strangely, some people do adapt.

EVDRIVER said:
Right and they all run out to see who is done at night. Unfortunately all L3 units must have 440 and charging the pack every eve on L3 does not seem like a good idea on the pack. For the money of an L3 unit and the expensive cost of installation it seems a better solution could be found to trench, etc and put in more L2 units or just three L2 units. It's not like people are going to go down and keep swapping cars, it would become a logistical hassle after time.

Actually, you don't need 3 phase 440v supply for quick charging for some chargers. You just need to be able to supply 50kW of power. The Nissan system in Japan uses 200v with a transformer-based system to raise to voltage for quick charging. Basically, you just need 300 amp service to the charger to do the job.

lne937s said:
EVDRIVER said:

Actually, you don't need 3 phase 440v supply for quick charging for some chargers. You just need to be able to supply 50kW of power. The Nissan system in Japan uses 200v with a transformer-based system to raise to voltage for quick charging. Basically, you just need 300 amp service to the charger to do the job.

Note "Japan" I am speaking of US systems available now.

EVDRIVER said:
lne937s said:
EVDRIVER said:

Note "Japan" I am speaking of US systems available now.

I think the point is it is not an absolute requirement for Level 3 quick charging and since very, very few chargers are actually publically available (most just are offering preliminary specs and are not available now), there is no reason to believe that all future level III chargers for sale need to use 440v 3-phase-- it is not a "must". It is actually easier to do it with US 240v 300 amp service than with Japanese 200v. 440v 3 Phase is only really useful if you want to go significantly above 50kW on the quick charger (but no batteries to be offered in the next few years can handle that much).

Cost to provide power might be similar with single or three phase up to 50Kw however to retify to a smooth DC might be easier(lower cost) with three phase power.
Three phase may need wire pulled in from much greater distance to a residential area depending on the local distribution.

Back