30 AMPs???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

Ok. I know we've been told that the Leaf has a 15amp charger...

But why in this doc in the references:

Mar '10 II : https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...GMtMTYyMC00OTE4LWFiM2YtMDExMjA5ZTI0MTBm&hl=en

If you scroll down and look at the charging graph it lists both 15 amp and 30 amp and a charge time of 8 and 4 hours respectively.

Why list this info if it won't be pertinent to the LEAF?

Also - the EV Project Blink charger appears to be 30amp capable FYI

http://www.blinknetwork.com/commercial/level-2.php

This has been grinding on me for some time. Similarly AV only has a 32 amp evse that requires a 40 amp circuit.
I have no idea why Nissan requires such an expensive over capacity installation.

Anywho, I plan to get a basic Leviton 16 amp as it will charge plenty fast even if somehow Leaf is equipped with a larger 6.6Kw charger.

This one thing GM did right by offering the basic Voltec 16a evse for the Volt. Too bad they will not sell to Leaf owners.

Likely because the EVSE is rated as such and not adjustable inside. This has been discussed at length here and it's better to have the higher capacity for upgrades, other EV charging etc. This would have been a good question in any of the EVSE threads, in addition:

THE EVSE IS NOT A CHARGER!!!!!!

The inverter in the Leaf has more in common with the charger IN THE CAR then the EVSE does, will everyone please stop calling the EVSE a charger, it is in no way a charger!! It is a smart extension cord. The charger is in the LEAF.

The 16A L2 EVSE only supports the present LEAF's 3.3 kW (8-hour) charging.

The "future" 6.6 kW (4-Hour) charging will require more current, around 30 (to 32) amps, that require the "40-amp" circuits.

Yes, but will it be possible to upgrade the G1 Leaf charger from 3.3 to 6.6? If so, how much is it likely to cost (rhetorical)?

If/when can one Upgrade to 6.6 kW charger in the LEAF, and cost ... is not yet known. It might not become available at all, so don't count on it in your "critical needs" planning.

garygid said:

The "future" 6.6 kW (4-Hour) charging will require more current, around 30 (to 32) amps, that require the "40-amp" circuits.

What Nissan information is actually available that this is even a possibility ever?
Or is this just wishful thinking?

smkettner said:
garygid said:

What Nissan information is actually available that this is even a possibility ever?
Or is this just wishful thinking?

It's been stated that there is no confirmation of Nissan having a charger upgrade ever, this is a fact. I would be willing to bet the likely hood is that is will happen at some point but not for a year or more and may be available on new models. It is a fact that you can buy a high power charger today and use it to charge the Leaf if you know how to connect it properly and it will work, this has been done over and over on many factory EVs. You will need a higher capacity EVSE for a higher capacity charger.I would also not be surprised to see the EVSE credit available next year as it will be needed more than ever with all the new EVs, volt, PI Prius, etc.

I thought I read that the 2012 leafs that will be made in the Smyrna, TN plant may have the larger 6.6KW onboard charger. Can't remember where I saw that, might have been one of the Nissan PowerPoint presentations

Mitch672, that was just another of the conjectures on this forum. There is no reason to consider that anything other than wishful thinking.

EVDRIVER said:
THE EVSE IS NOT A CHARGER!!!!!!
...will everyone please stop calling the EVSE a charger, it is in no way a charger!! It is a smart extension cord. The charger is in the LEAF.
Nobody in this thread has called the EVSE a charger, both cdub and smkettner were referring to the internal charger, the one built in to the car. Please go back and read their posts carefully ;)

A lot of confusion will be prevented over the next 20 years (until wireless power transfer is widespread) if we just call the EVSE a "charging cord", people will instantly understand what that means.. and will know not to get an undersized one.

Back