2016 charge timer not honored.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oils4AsphaultOnly

I have a 2016 S-30 with the 6kw charger that I plug into a 6.6kw Bosch EVSE. I've set the charge timer to end at 8am. Ever since the day I got the car, I've noticed that the car finishes charging WELL before (at least 2 hrs now) when the timer is supposed to stop. With my old 2013 S, the charging would complete ~30 minutes before, but 2hrs before is just too early. Anyone have this same issue? Will a factory reset help, or should I get it serviced? I'd hate for the battery to lose its capacity prematurely due to a bad charger. :(

Are you using the same EVSE you used with your 13? If not I'm guessing the timer on your '16 doesn't take into account how fast your EVSE is, the maximum for your car. It sounds like it's going off a lesser charging rate, which explains why it finishes so soon.
I've noticed with my '13S that using my 30a Juicebox that charging completes an hour or two earlier than I have my timer set for. Because of this I purposely tell my timer I'm leaving a couple hours later than actual, although this doesn't always work to give me a full charge, especially if I'm down less than 1/2 a charge, again it's like the timer is calibrated off a 20a charge and I'm feeding it 27.5a.

jjeff said:
Are you using the same EVSE you used with your 13? If not I'm guessing the timer on your '16 doesn't take into account how fast your EVSE is, the maximum for your car. It sounds like it's going off a lesser charging rate, which explains why it finishes so soon.
I've noticed with my '13S that using my 30a Juicebox that charging completes an hour or two earlier than I have my timer set for. Because of this I purposely tell my timer I'm leaving a couple hours later than actual, although this doesn't always work to give me a full charge, especially if I'm down less than 1/2 a charge, again it's like the timer is calibrated off a 20a charge and I'm feeding it 27.5a.

Yup, same EVSE. And yeah, I think you're right. I just had a light-bulb moment and checked my utility's hourly utilization chart (props to SCE for having this!), and it seems the charging stops about 5 hrs early (on the first day)!! Yesterday, it stopped about 3 hrs early. I'm guessing that the cpu is re-calibrating, much like the guess-o-meter?

Back