LEAFStat iPhone/iPad app to monitor battery status etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm33

LEAFStat is now available on the iOS app store.

Information on the app is available here. The app is intended as a simplified app displaying only the most essential information. It does not display all the information displayed by Leaf Spy. As I gauge interest, more information will be added, although I'd like to maintain a focus on a streamlined interface.

The following description is copied from the website. Additional information is on the website including OBDii-WiFi adapters its been tested with.

LEAFStat displays valuable information from the 2011-2014 Nissan LEAF all electric vehicle which is not displayed on the dashboard. Information is accessed via the OBDII port and a OBDII to Wifi adapter (required, purchased separately). Displays

• Current battery charge measured in the cars native measure. Termed GIDs, each GID represents roughly 80wh of capacity. Can be used to determine how much range is left.
  • kWh capacity remaining.
  • State of Charge %. This is not the same % displayed on 2013-2014 vehicles dash board. It represents true SOC not accounting for the buffer used at 100% and 0%.
  • Battery capacity. Indicates how much of original intended battery capacity remains. This reported value can vary several % based on recent use and charge characteristics but can give an indicate of battery degradation.
  • Battery state of health. Believed to represent a measure of internal battery resistance that develops over time, indicating how healthy the battery is.
  • Average battery temperature. The LEAF includes 3 or 4 battery temperature probes. This value is the average of the probes. High battery temperature is the primary cause of battery degradation.
  • Tire pressure. Once rolling, the LEAF reports tire pressure down to a 1/4 of a PSI. Vital to know if you have a slow leak or under pressured tires.

garygid said:
What iPhone and iPad devices will run this wifi app?

Of these, which is the least expensive?
Any iOS device running iOS 7 is compatible. Includes iPhone 5s, 5, 4s, 4, iPad 2, 3, 4, Air, iPod touch etc.

Not sure about least expensive. iPod touch is probably the least expensive new device, or you can use an older ipad 2 or iPhone 4.

Typically however I'd expect people to use their current phone.

dm33 said:
LEAFStat is now available on the iOS app store.

Information on the app is available here. The app is intended as a simplified app displaying only the most essential information. It does not display all the information displayed by Leaf Spy. As I gauge interest, more information will be added, although I'd like to maintain a focus on a streamlined interface.

The following description is copied from the website. Additional information is on the website including OBDii-WiFi adapters its been tested with.

LEAFStat displays valuable information from the 2011-2014 Nissan LEAF all electric vehicle which is not displayed on the dashboard. Information is accessed via the OBDII port and a OBDII to Wifi adapter (required, purchased separately). Displays

• Current battery charge measured in the cars native measure. Termed GIDs, each GID represents roughly 80wh of capacity. Can be used to determine how much range is left.
  • kWh capacity remaining.
  • State of Charge %. This is not the same % displayed on 2013-2014 vehicles dash board. It represents true SOC not accounting for the buffer used at 100% and 0%.
  • Battery capacity. Indicates how much of original intended battery capacity remains. This reported value can vary several % based on recent use and charge characteristics but can give an indicate of battery degradation.
  • Battery state of health. Believed to represent a measure of internal battery resistance that develops over time, indicating how healthy the battery is.
  • Average battery temperature. The LEAF includes 3 or 4 battery temperature probes. This value is the average of the probes. High battery temperature is the primary cause of battery degradation.
  • Tire pressure. Once rolling, the LEAF reports tire pressure down to a 1/4 of a PSI. Vital to know if you have a slow leak or under pressured tires.

Just want to say I grabbed it, been using it since yesterday with one of the wifi OBDC readers listed, and it works great. Many thanks.

epirali said:
Just want to say I grabbed it, been using it since yesterday with one of the wifi OBDC readers listed, and it works great. Many thanks.
Great! Glad to hear it.

So, all of these WiFi adapters are configured to the same subnet... Are there problems with interference and duplicate IPs in practice?

Any feel for the power consumption of an adapter? All I could find so far is "I've left it plugged in for X days and no problem". Kind of looking for an answer in milliamps.

Edit: ok, references I'm finding are listing .75 watts. That's 18 watt-hours per day or 1.5 amp-hours per day. I think I'll get the one with a switch so I can turn it off if parking for more than a couple of days.

Nubo said:
So, all of these WiFi adapters are configured to the same subnet... Are there problems with interference and duplicate IPs in practice?

Any feel for the power consumption of an adapter? All I could find so far is "I've left it plugged in for X days and no problem". Kind of looking for an answer in milliamps.
Each OBDii-WiFi adapter creates its own network. You only connect to one WiFi network. There isn't interference between different adapters regarding IP addresses. The only time you'd have to worry at all is if you were attempting to connect multiple devices to the same OBDii-WiFi adapter which is not typical usage.

I don't know of any measurements on power consumption. They do get warm so its a noticeable power drain. I like having the power switch so I don't have to worry about it and don't run the risk of damaging the OBDii port by repeatedly plugging/unplugging it.

Broke down and ordered the 2013 Super mini ELM327 WiFi for iPhone OBD-II OBD Can Code, which is a unit validated for use with the LEAFStat app. This is my first entry to OBD-II connectivity.

I will purchase and install the LEAFStat app from the Apple Store upon the units arrival.

Looking forward to getting some useful info from the app soon.

BTW - just purchased a 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid (Touring) to complement my LEAF. I am thrilled to be seeing LEAFs in the wild almost every day here in Scottsdale, AZ.

SilverLeaf said:
Broke down and ordered the 2013 Super mini ELM327 WiFi for iPhone OBD-II OBD Can Code, which is a unit validated for use with the LEAFStat app. This is my first entry to OBD-II connectivity. ...

I was just about to also. But... "shipping speed: 17 to 28 business days"?

Uh, no.

update: I figured having a switch wasn't as big a deal as waiting a month and a half for the slow boat from "Jeff-Store". So I'll be trying out this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVV60HI/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Fulfilled by Amazon. It's already shipped.

On those rare occasions when I don't drive the car for more than 3 days, I can just disconnect it.

I am not having any luck finding a discussion of the protocol for installing the OBDii adaptor. Is there a thread out there or is it so simple that it can be explained quickly?

Mx5racer said:
I don't see iit in the App Store
Searching for leafstat
If you're searching from an iPad, you have to change the type to include iPhone apps. Otherwise it defaults to iPad only apps.

An issue has been reported when communicating with a 2011 LEAF. Its possible that this affects all 2011/2012 LEAFs. I haven't reliably tracked down what model year the beta testers were using.

Has anyone successfully run the app on a 2011 or 2012 LEAF?

I'm trying to find a local 2011/2012 LEAF to test the app with. In the mean time, if you have an older LEAF you may want to hold off until I give the all clear or someone reports it working on their 2011/2012 LEAF.

I was able to test the app on a 2012 LEAF and it worked without any issue. I'm continuing to investigate a reported issue, but it appears to be a usage issue. There may be an issue with the UK version LEAF, but I'm still investigating that.

I'm sounding the all clear. App works for 2011-2014 US based LEAFs.

hawkeye1824 said:
Boy, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what is an OBDII wifi connector? Thanks!!
All vehicles has an OBDII port originally intended for On Board Diagnostics. It allows service personnel to verify emissions compliance etc. Its a port which allows an external device to communicate with the car's internal network of computers.

Originally OBDII connected to an external device via a serial cable. Wireless options are now available which forward the messages communicated via the OBDII port wirelessly using either bluetooth or in this case WiFi protocols. Apple does not allow open access to older bluetooth protocols so the only option for an iPhone app is currently WiFi.

State of Charge %. This is not the same % displayed on 2013-2014 vehicles dash board. It represents true SOC not accounting for the buffer used at 100% and 0%.

Not quite sure how to interpret this.

Back