What is your Average miles per kwh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the summer, I had averaged 4.2 on the Ecopia LRR tires. I have since replaced them. They wore out far too quickly, plus I was leasing, so I bought cheapo non-LRR Fuzion tires. With these, I get about 3.6.

During the winter, I am currently at about 2.5. With the Ecopias, I got about 2.7. Most of my miles are spent shuttling the family from destination to destination, with the car cold-soaking at every stop. So the first trip of the day, preheating works just fine. But the rest require running the resistance heater (I have a pre-heat pump 2012 SV) to get the car back up to temperature.

DesertDenizen said:
5.9? And I thought I was good at 5.2. I need to up my psi for my tires.

I am still at 5.9 miles per kWh, and it briefly went up to 6.0. The other thing I do to save energy, is I coast in neutral whenever possible, and using D/B when I need to slow down. The Ecopias coast as well or better than any tires I have owned, which means that once you learn to ecodrive, you can get much longer range most of the time.

My commute is ~27 miles round trip, and I often charge once every 4 days.

NeilBlanchard said:
DesertDenizen said:

I am still at 5.9 miles per kWh, and it briefly went up to 6.0. The other thing I do to save energy, is I coast in neutral whenever possible, and using D/B when I need to slow down. The Ecopias coast as well or better than any tires I have owned, which means that once you learn to ecodrive, you can get much longer range most of the time.

IIRC, you are in Mass, right? What are you seeing for typical winter driving? What about during the deep freeze last February? I was barely getting 2.0 miles/kWh with the temperatures below 0F.

4.12 from wall, 4.65 from car. wall figure estimate based on guesses on efficiency from public charging sources. I have yet to determine a consistent reading from fast chargers which has led me to believe there isn't one and efficiency is controlled by SOC, batt temps, OAT, etc...

NeilBlanchard said:
I am still at 5.9 miles per kWh, and it briefly went up to 6.0.

:lol:
Princess-Bride-Vizzini-Inconceivable.jpg

GetOffYourGas said:
NeilBlanchard said:
DesertDenizen said:

IIRC, you are in Mass, right? What are you seeing for typical winter driving? What about during the deep freeze last February? I was barely getting 2.0 miles/kWh with the temperatures below 0F.

Yes, I am in Massachusetts, and I think the worst we saw last winter was ~402 Wh/mile, so 2.48 miles per kWh. We typically only use the heat when the windshield needs to be cleared; and use the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater when we are not warm enough in our winter clothing. Keep in mind, this is actual energy usage, and it uses a corrected distance - the dash meter is about 20-22% higher.

Here is my energy log: http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=8730

I have Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires which are as low rolling resistance as the stock Ecopia tires. They are also excellent winter tires, so slippage is minimized.

Nubo said:
NeilBlanchard said:
I am still at 5.9 miles per kWh, and it briefly went up to 6.0.

:lol:

This is the dash meter, which is much higher than the actual number. I measure some of the charges, and I correct the odometer because the tires are smaller than those on the SL/SV models. The best charge I have gotten is ~196Wh/mile or ~5.1 miles / kWh.

Lifetime average since last October is 127.9 MPGe which is ~264 Wh/mile or 3.78 miles / kWh. Last 90 days is 158.3 MPGe which is ~213Wh / mile or 4.69 miles / kWh.

Again, here's my energy log: http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=8730

graph8730.gif

5.5 miles per kwh average (from the dash) for the life of my Leaf (2011 with 43,000 miles, 50 months ownership). I reset the counter when I bought it and haven't touched it since then.

Stoaty that is impressive! Though you do have warm weather most of the year.

I think the tires make a huge difference. I also drive an e-Golf and the stock Continentals are rather ... ordinary for coasting, even at 50PSI. I can get close to the Leaf S, but given the e-Golf has default coasting and significantly lower Cd, I should be able to get lower consumption. My brother has an i3 REx, and he drove it at 55MPH with a little A/C and went 97.3 miles on the ~18kWh in the battery - and that is ~185kWh/mile. Which is better than the Leaf (my best was ~196Wh/mile at average of ~40MPH no A/C). The i3 tires are top notch.

Driving 100+ miles on a charge in warm weather is becoming routine:

Corrected for tires, this is 104.88 miles / 21.9kWh = ~4.79 miles per kWh or 208.8Wh/mile or 161MPGe.

NeilBlanchard said:
Stoaty that is impressive! Though you do have warm weather most of the year.

Corrected for tires, this is 104.88 miles / 21.9kWh = ~4.79 miles per kWh or 208.8Wh/mile or 161MPGe.
Yes, the best way to get a BEV with a very high MPGe is to drive the one you have properly. It isn't hard to do, but most people aren't motivated. I find my driving style very relaxing, and it makes very little difference in the time required for my 40 mile round trip commute.

NeilBlanchard said:
DesertDenizen said:

dash shouldn't be 20% higher

I also use the same climate control profile you do in much milder Winters and average 4-4.2 per K. My 4.65 average year round does mean I am in the low 5's in Summer. How often do you check your performance?

Part of why the dash meter is so much higher is the stock Ecopia tires on out Leaf S are smaller diameter than the stock 17" tires on the SV/SL models. This increases the dash meter, and since I am calibrating my distance, it lowers the calculated number as well.

Our e-Golf has about a 15% charging loss, and that is close to what I expect the Leaf is actually losing, as well.

I check both cars a couple of times per week, now. Early on (we got the Leaf last October, and the e-Golf in February) I was logging almost every charge.

NeilBlanchard said:
Part of why the dash meter is so much higher is the stock Ecopia tires on out Leaf S are smaller diameter than the stock 17" tires on the SV/SL models. This increases the dash meter, and since I am calibrating my distance, it lowers the calculated number as well.

Our e-Golf has about a 15% charging loss, and that is close to what I expect the Leaf is actually losing, as well.

I check both cars a couple of times per week, now. Early on (we got the Leaf last October, and the e-Golf in February) I was logging almost every charge.

using 240 volt/20 amp charging, I was averaging 12-13% loss so not much different. I am using an estimated value now of 13% for everything including the random public charging. faster L2 charging increases efficiency due to lowering charge time and the requisite base load overhead from the cooling system. As far as DC charging, I have yet to get consistent readings from it so not sure where that stands

DaveinOlyWA said:
using 240 volt/20 amp charging, I was averaging 12-13% loss so not much different. I am using an estimated value now of 13% for everything including the random public charging. faster L2 charging increases efficiency due to lowering charge time and the requisite base load overhead from the cooling system. As far as DC charging, I have yet to get consistent readings from it so not sure where that stands
I saw similar numbers, generally 88-90% for 3.8 kW charging, before I started using public charging.

Now that I am using public charging, I use 88% and 75 Wh/Gid for those sessions. Those numbers seem to give me the best fit but they are just educated guesses. Nevertheless, I did have a couple of years with nearly all charging at home to give me decent efficiency numbers, at least for months when I didn't do any preheating (charging efficiency calculations aren't meaningful when preheating/precooling, of course). Since most of my charging then was less than "100%", that also increased efficiency somewhat, due to the lack of tapering near 100%.

dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I saw similar numbers, generally 88-90% for 3.8 kW charging, before I started using public charging.

Now that I am using public charging, I use 88% and 75 Wh/Gid for those sessions. Those numbers seem to give me the best fit but they are just educated guesses. Nevertheless, I did have a couple of years with nearly all charging at home to give me decent efficiency numbers, at least for months when I didn't do any preheating (charging efficiency calculations aren't meaningful when preheating/precooling, of course). Since most of my charging then was less than "100%", that also increased efficiency somewhat, due to the lack of tapering near 100%.

ya, saw a lot of 90% as well but found that there is really only about 3% difference between 240 /12 and 240/20 so don't know. Another point to compare is the 75% efficiency of 120/12 and this was tracked with Kill a watt verses the dash reading all of which lines up pretty closely with what peef measured and reported later

I get 3.7 miles/kWh with almost all freeway driving. I can get 4.2 on the way to work but it always drops to 3.5-3.7 on my way home regardless of speed. I can go 50 or 65 and it's always 3.5-3.7... if I go 70 it's a little worse but not much. I have a pretty consistent uphill climb and the last 10 miles(coming home) of the drive is 510 feet of elevation change.

Back