Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we are still Leaf guppies as we have only had the car for a few months. However we find the GOM ver accurate. We have a very regular weekly pattern of mileage. On Saturday night we charge it overnight to max and the range in the morning is typically 198 to 205 KM. Then we do 45 Km on the highway with the cruise set at 93 KMH Speed limit is 90). And then we do about 105 km of mostly city driving. We are usually seeing around 45 to 55 km left on the GOM and then the pattern starts over again. A little ways back I started taking pics of the display just for tracking purposes and depending on the weather (using the heat and heated steering) it's pretty dead on. I think a lot has to do with the fact that only about a third of the miles are highway.

Here are a few screen shots from last month. I don't think I would put a lot of trust in it if it was all highway miles, (hasn't happened yet and we only have a couple thousand kilometers on it). We have made a couple 110 km highway trips and the GOM was pretty close.

33941897225_8c6cbdf569_z.jpg

This is after the highway portion. Rolly 4 lane highway.

33784501642_57f0fb91d0_z.jpg

We have some highway trips planned for the June time frame. We'll see how accurate it is then. Love the car though. Glad we bought the Leaf and not the Bolt. Bolt felt quicker off the line though. Meh

The GOM is basically as accurate at predicting range as your last five or so minutes of driving before shutting it off last would be in doing so. It looks like you just happen to drive a"predictive" last five minutes before you shut the car down. Here's an interesting experiment: press the blue button on the left side of the steering wheel, and compare the lower range estimate given with the higher (GOM) one. I suspect that in your case they may be very close together...

LeftieBiker said:
The GOM is basically as accurate at predicting range as your last five or so minutes of driving before shutting it off last would be in doing so. It looks like you just happen to drive a"predictive" last five minutes before you shut the car down. Here's an interesting experiment: press the blue button on the left side of the steering wheel, and compare the lower range estimate given with the higher (GOM) one. I suspect that in your case they may be very close together...

I'll give that a try. Thanks. Still learning lots about the car.

LeftieBiker said:
There is now a cheap and easy fix for the often-terrible Bolt front seats. Here it is.

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6157
I have nothing to gain suggesting this company, other than they were less than 1/2 the price of my local foam shops when I went to replace the foam in our sofa. They sell a wide variety of foam and cut to size.
Foam is kind of made in 2 different ways, one way is how firm the foam is, how much weight it takes to compress it. The other more important way(IMO) is the weight of the foam, heavier the better. You can have a cheap light foam that supports a lot of weight, but breaks down quickly(think cheap sofa). Then you can have a heavier weight foam that is either soft or hard, depending on your weight. For our sofa I chose the heaviest foam I could get, in a medium to higher compression weight, it's great! For something like a car seat I'd suggest heavier foam and purchase the compression rate that best suits your weight.
I see you also have an account on the Bolt forum, if you deem appropriate you might want to post a link to this foam company. Again there might be others but I checked quite a few and these guys were the best priced for good to great quality foam, and they totally cut to size for N/C, at least they did for my sofa cushions.
https://www.buyfoam.com/
https://www.buyfoam.com/OurFoam.aspx

I can do that, but you don't actually have to register there - in fact that doesn't work at all well. Just select the forum from the top of any page here (CHOOSE ANOTHER EV FORUM), and let the site log you in there with your user ID here. Your signature line won't appear there, but it's very easy.

LeftieBiker said:
I can do that, but you don't actually have to register there - in fact that doesn't work at all well. Just select the forum from the top of any page here (CHOOSE ANOTHER EV FORUM), and let the site log you in there with your user ID here. Your signature line won't appear there, but it's very easy.
Thanks, actually it seems you do have to register but they make it very simple. First time going to the site they say "we see you have a Nissan Leaf account, would you like to make one here"(or something to that effect). If you answer yes it creates an account in a matter of seconds and you can post right away, cool :cool:

I still haven't sat in a Bolt, but about 90% of the complaints seems to be about the lower cushions, including the rear and side. There are also some complaints about the backs, and people are working on finding out how to access that area to add foam. One poster's wife did remark that raising the cushion height also improved the problem she was having with the seat back.

The challenge with the Bolt is that while it is a well engineered car, the platform that GM chose to use for it is the Gamma G2SC platform which is GMs global compact car platform.

This makes for a very tight interior, in fact the Bolt is three inches narrower door card to door card then the current LEAF (which is defined as mid-sized car) and may be even narrower than the 2018 LEAF.

If you are have a mid-westerner 95th percentile body, then you are going to be rubbing shoulders with your passenger. GM has tried to make up for the tight interior space by making the front seats thinner and narrower, but that is a real compromise in seating comfort. If you have a bean pole body, and are less that 5' 10' you will probably fit fine.

This lack of interior space combined with hefty pricing is probably why dealers that do have the Bolt have their lots full of unsold cars.

At one of our local Silicon Valley Chevy dealers, I found over 150 cars on their lot last week.

The reports I've read said the seats work well for small butts but are uncomfortable for big butts.

It has been determined (by people sitting in Multiple Bolts at dealer lots) that the seats vary considerably in comfort from car to car, even at the same trim level. It's not primarily an issue of body size, but of how well individual seats were put together.

OrientExpress said:
This lack of interior space combined with hefty pricing is probably why dealers that do have the Bolt have their lots full of unsold cars.
Initially my wife liked Bolt. But when we did a test drive the short distance to the windshield unnerved her. I've seen people say it looks small on the outside and "big" on the inside - no idea what they are talking about.

evnow said:
I've seen people say it looks small on the outside and "big" on the inside - no idea what they are talking about.

Me neither. I have sat in the driver's seat, passenger's seat, and rear seat. I wouldn't say it felt "big" from any of those perspectives. Maybe unnecessarily tall, though.

GetOffYourGas said:
evnow said:
I've seen people say it looks small on the outside and "big" on the inside - no idea what they are talking about.

Me neither. I have sat in the driver's seat, passenger's seat, and rear seat. I wouldn't say it felt "big" from any of those perspectives. Maybe unnecessarily tall, though.

I have yet to see one in person but a look at specs of each tells me they are realistically the same size with Bolt tilted slightly towards passenger space and LEAF tilted slightly towards cargo space. If the Bolt is bigger, it could be more head room? Although I have heard it both ways. Either "the same" or "slightly more in the Bolt"

On the seat thing; they are not symmetrical. The side air bag section is not balanced with an opposing panel. Now some said it became unnoticeable after 15 mins of driving while others said it was something they could not ignore so very much a user preference. Size didn't seem to matter

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
evnow said:

I have yet to see one in person but a look at specs of each tells me they are realistically the same size with Bolt tilted slightly towards passenger space and LEAF tilted slightly towards cargo space. If the Bolt is bigger, it could be more head room? Although I have heard it both ways. Either "the same" or "slightly more in the Bolt"

On the seat thing; they are not symmetrical. The side air bag section is not balanced with an opposing panel. Now some said it became unnoticeable after 15 mins of driving while others said it was something they could not ignore so very much a user preference. Size didn't seem to matter

Are you implying that the Leaf is a "big" car? Because by American standards it is not. The only dimension in which these cars are "big" is vertical. And unless you are 6+ feet tall, that doesn't make a bit of difference in usable space. All it does is make the car feel larger. (Yes, I recognize that a significant portion of the population IS 6+ feet tall, but for the rest of us, i.e. the majority, the extra height doesn't matter).

Regarding the seats, I definitely could feel pressure points. It didn't bother me but I understand how it could bother some. Fitment is very subjective. Bottom line is, you should never buy any car without having sat in and driven it first.

OrientExpress said:
This makes for a very tight interior, in fact the Bolt is three inches narrower door card to door card then the current LEAF (which is defined as mid-sized car) and may be even narrower than the 2018 LEAF.
So the 2018 Leaf is going to be narrower than the current Leaf???

Stoaty said:
OrientExpress said:
So the 2018 Leaf is going to be narrower than the current Leaf???

To make it bigger and also more efficient that is the only way to go.

That said I really don't understand the small car comments. I drive an 81 comutacar that's a small car.

My fathers 4' wide kei car is plenty roomy enough for 2 adults, certainly not cheek to cheek

Back