Move to Mexico: Have 2014 Leaf Shipped? Or buy Newer there...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theboltons4 said:
We have been planning retirement abroad for about 2 years. Have read many books and numerous articles. We found out about Chapala as a retirement location and our first trip there was this September. We went for two weeks and could not get over how wonderfully accessible it is. We walked everywhere for the two weeks. Met welcoming Mexican people, great gringos and had the most amazing chill time. Since we want to become less reliant on automobiles and find a place that was neither warm nor cold most of the year it really fit the concept. We got used to the cobblestone roads and simplicity of walking or taking public buses around town. Our goal was to find a place that was welcoming and affordable.
My husband is going to take early retirement so we needed somewhere that fit our budget. There has been an explosion of Americans in the past year or so, and housing prices are on the rise but we are committed to taking the journey. In many ways we feel as though Ajijic and the Lake Chapala Communities are a step backward in time. We have heard live examples about excellent health care and very involved community members. People there are less leary of strangers and more helpful than anywhere else we have traveled to.
Sorry if I am rambling. I guess you could say we fell in love with the people and the place.

It is a great area of the country. Probably our second favourite. The other consideration is San Miguel de Allende. It is in the state of Guanajuato. It is also a bit of an expat enclave but it has more of a small town feel to it. Real estate was a little pricier than Chapala when we were there. There are more American medical refugees in Chapala and the services can be a little more structured to that. San Miguel has a little higher european population is well. Medical is excellent in San Miguel. I think you will be able to jump on the IMSS system for healthcare. Fairly good and affordable. Again, best to be able to speak spanish when dealing with medical issues. Amerimed is available but expensive and of course in english. Anyway, check out San Miguel before you buy property in Chapala. Depending where you live in San Miguel you won't need a car...at all.

Here is a link to one of our San Miguel visits. Please feel free to ask questions. Angela and I have motorhomed with our small motorhome through 27 of the 31 Mexican states over a period of a 4 or 5 years, We haven't been back since 2012 as we are now concentrating on europe but we have many fond memories and will be returning one day. We will probably do what you are doing but more than likely in southern spain. After Brexit, the propery values should be a good deal there,

Congradulations on living the dream.

Here is a saying that you can translate from spanish to english and tell me if you agree with it.

La vida no se mide por el numero de respiraciones que tomamos, sino por los momentos que nos dejan sin respiración.

http://johnandangela.ca/San Miguel de Allende.htm

John

John and Angela,
Thank you for sharing your experiences and pics with us. I just shared them with Michael, my husband. I wish you both much happiness and continued travels in Spain and everywhere!
Kathryn and Michael

theboltons4 said:
John and Angela,
Thank you for sharing your experiences and pics with us. I just shared them with Michael, my husband. I wish you both much happiness and continued travels in Spain and everywhere!
Kathryn and Michael

No worrie. I had a spelling error in that "Dicho". Have fun with the translation, I am sure you will agree with it.

La vida no se mide por el numero de respiraciones que tomamos, sino por los momentos que nos dejan sin respiración.

Back