12 Level 2 stations scheduled for Huntington Beach CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aeolus said:
Need a chargepoint card, but it is free. Yes, it is in the big parking structure next to the.movie theatres.
Thanks! This is cool, because HB was outside of the LEAF round trip range, and now, it have become a doable easy trip... Yah! And if for some reason those chargers are down, there are other options... Plus up in Seal Beach too... Or the IKEA in Carson...

JimSouCal said:
Aeolus said:
This is cool, because HB was outside of the LEAF round trip range, and now, it have become a doable easy trip... Yah! And if for some reason those chargers are down, there are other options... Plus up in Seal Beach too... Or the IKEA in Carson...
If you are heading N/W from Huntington Beach, the Mitsubishi QC in Carson is about 2-3 miles north of the 405 (Valley View), then maybe 2 miles west on Katella back to the 605 (then either 405/91 if you are westbound).

Aeolus said:
I charged today at one of two Coulomb stations at Bella Terra. Two J1772 Level 2 chargers close to the internal elevator shaft on the first floor. Signage not up yet, but stations are operating.

My contacts tell me that the stations at the Beach and at the City parking structure downtown may be operational this week. The stations at the City Hall are just getting their building permits now, so they will be installed a little later.

Thanks, Surf City!
PLEASE tell me the HB price structure is no where near what Seal Beach gouges. In order to shop Seal Beach (bought a Japanese fishing net / glass ball floatie decoration) we paid $6 to park ... then $2/hour for their L2. So by the time we'd shopped and ate lunch & returned to the plug, we paid well over $2/kwh. I wrote Seal Beach and explained how at that rate for juice, they're hampering EV infrastructure more than anything else - because I could have purchased the decoration on Ebay for the same price, ate at home, and been a few buck ahead by NOT supporting their business community. I fear it fell on deaf ears.

PLEASE tell me the HB price structure is no where near what Seal Beach gouges. In order to shop Seal Beach (bought a Japanese fishing net / glass ball floatie decoration) we paid $6 to park ... then $2/hour for their L2

Charging is free in HB for the first few years.

Free parking at Bella Terra, City Hall
Reasonably priced parking at downtown parking structure, at least for the first few hours.
Expensive Beach parking, unless you are a senior and get an annual pass but you might check on valet parking at Duke's. I'm going to contact their manager and see if they can do valet charging.

http://www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/visitors/parking/garages_lots.cfm

EricH said:
JimSouCal said:
Aeolus said:
This is cool, because HB was outside of the LEAF round trip range, and now, it have become a doable easy trip... Yah! And if for some reason those chargers are down, there are other options... Plus up in Seal Beach too... Or the IKEA in Carson...
If you are heading N/W from Huntington Beach, the Mitsubishi QC in Carson is about 2-3 miles north of the 405 (Valley View), then maybe 2 miles west on Katella back to the 605 (then either 405/91 if you are westbound).
That tip is good to know. My understanding is it is a good idea to call Mitsubishi in advance prior to showing up..? And it is M-F business hours only?

Mitsubishi is available 24/7. You may need to touch the screen more than once to wake the QC up.

Today, there was a crew installing an AV L2 unit in addition to the Eaton L2 already there.

JimSouCal said:
EricH said:
That tip is good to know. My understanding is it is a good idea to call Mitsubishi in advance prior to showing up..? And it is M-F business hours only?

I checked out the EV stations at the beach today, and all six of them are operational, although the signage has not been installed yet. The two at Pier Plaza are about 100 feet from Zak's, and there will be a lot of competition for them because they are so convenient to the beach and to Pier Plaza. The four in the RV parking further south on PCH were all open with no competition. If you are looking for these, they are close to PCH right near the wave shaped bus benches.

Beach parking is $15 a day during the spring and summer, unless you have an annual parking pass, which is $150 a year or $50 a year if you are 62 or over. You can buy an annual pass at HB City Hall or at the Marine Safety Building at the beach, close to the RV parking area.

All the HB chargers are Coulomb which require a Chargepoint card to activate, but there is no hourly charge for electricity for the first few years.

Aeolus said:
PLEASE tell me the HB price structure is no where near what Seal Beach gouges. In order to shop Seal Beach (bought a Japanese fishing net / glass ball floatie decoration) we paid $6 to park ... then $2/hour for their L2

Charging is free in HB for the first few years. . . . . . . . . . . snip . . .
so was seal beach ... but what I meant was, after the freebie/into period is expired. Don't get me wrong ... I don't mind paying for an L2 charge if it's reasonable ... or even if it's on the pricey side ... but $2/kwh is beyond obscene. Definition of obscene: cheaper (and faster) to have AAA flatbed it home.

I tried the Main St structure last night - nice ChargePoint fixture with 2 L2 connections that looks like it will reach 4 parking spaces: one handicapped and three ICE'ed. I called the phone number posted in the lot and the fellow said they aren't finished installing them yet (which is rubbish - the station shows active on the ChargePoint app and I know what an active ChargePoint EVSE looks like when I see one) so the "EV Parking Only" signs aren't up yet.

So unless you have a handicap placard, or visit at a slow time, best to wait for the signage to go up. The attendant warned me not to use the handicap spot because the lot is patrolled regularly - this should help keep the spots ICE-free once the signs go up.

Had to stop at Mitsubishi for a 10-min QC instead, about 10:15pm. Last user must not have hit "Stop" because after I plugged in, it told me to unplug. Started over and it worked fine.

EricH said:
I tried the Main St structure last night - nice ChargePoint fixture with 2 L2 connections that looks like it will reach 4 parking spaces: one handicapped and three ICE'ed. I called the phone number posted in the lot and the fellow said they aren't finished installing them yet (which is rubbish - the station shows active on the ChargePoint app and I know what an active ChargePoint EVSE looks like when I see one) so the "EV Parking Only" signs aren't up yet.

So unless you have a handicap placard, or visit at a slow time, best to wait for the signage to go up. The attendant warned me not to use the handicap spot because the lot is patrolled regularly - this should help keep the spots ICE-free once the signs go up. . . . . . <snip> . . .
Yep ... one thing that's easy ... filling the city coffers with cash from parking scofflaws :D

Signage is finally up so that the new HB charging stations won't be ICEd as readily. Was at Pier Plaza the other night, and both spaces for charging were available.

Still not sure if the City Hall stations are open.

Aeolus said:
Signage is finally up so that the new HB charging stations won't be ICEd as readily. Was at Pier Plaza the other night, and both spaces for charging were available.

Still not sure if the City Hall stations are open.
Sign was up at the Main St Promenade structure on/before June 16 (but sign only covers two of the three non-NC spaces that the cords will reach, and one of the two 'signed' spaces was ICE'd that night - Thank you Nissan Frontier 5U01140). So enforcement/compliance still needs some work...

Back