17inch Michelins 2016 - comments anyone ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blimpy

When I bought my 2016 SV this month, I just accepted whatever equipment came with it and counted my self lucky.

The Ectopia tires that were standard equipment on the Leaf from the beginning are gone.
Those were infamous for weak sidewalls and poor wear ( bridgestones specialty.. low wear).

I find I have Michelin Energy 215/50R17 tires.

We live in a place generally considered to have some of the worst "paved" roads in the USA.
Sonoma County California.

The tires look a lot like the skinny racer tires I would NEVER choose on a car.

What can I expect with regard to vulnerability to road hazards (pot holes) ?
What can I expect with regard to Tread Wear ?

Am I gaining anything with these prissy shoes and big rims... ? :?

Larry

My 2015 came with those tires. I consider them OK for OEM tires. They need to be inflated to at least 40 psi for decent wear and handling (I always ran 44 psi except when I tried lower pressures to see if it would help wet traction). The original Ecopias (inflated to 44 psi) and the Michelin MXM4 replacements on the 2011 were superior on wet roads (Ecopias were terrible at 36 psi in wet conditions) compared to the Energy Savers on the 2015. I replaced the Energy Savers with more performance oriented Continentals at 28,000 miles because the two that spent the most time on the front were worn out. Unfortunately, I was out of town when it rained here so I have not yet had a chance to see how well the Continentals work in wet conditions. I considered MXM4s, but they were not in stock and I could not wait for special order.

Gerry

My 2016 SV Came with those tires. After 4000 Miles I have no complaints. I inflate them to 42 psi to increase range and tread life. They are superior to the Ecopias on our Prius. Smooth, quiet, and the Leaf handles well with the tires.

These tires are much better than the Ecopia. Inflate to 44psi and enjoy the ride. They should last more than 50K.
No troubles on bad roads here. If you want a better pothole friendly tire you may switch to 205/60 R16 but you would need new wheels... Expensive switch.

Back