18" rims With 205/45/18 dunlop sp sport maxx tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oesse

Hi, is this a crazy setup?? Will it look stupid? :?
I want bigger rims on my leaf, but i want to make the range loose a minimum.

according to the +/- 5% rolldiameter i think this is a accepted setup, nor am i wrong?

Oistein

Here is a good site for tire size data:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also Tire Rack does a good job showing their suggested tire size for 18s on our car... and they suggest 215/40-18 ... just FYI ....

As for rolling resistance/range. If the tires are LRR rated that will help. But no matter what you do you're moving the weight out from the center which means it will take more force to get going-- and more force to bring it to a stop. Never the less how this actually translates into real world numbers is too hard to "calculate" I'd guess...

I like 18's on the Leaf aesthetically, I put 225-45-18's on a set of Mazda take offs.
The speedometer went from reading 2mph over actual speed to 1 mph under actual speed at 70 mph.

The tires I installed are AA traction rated so they are soft compound with increased friction. As a result I've taken a loss of 10% on my full charge range. The handling on the other hand is incredible. There is a cloverleaf freeway interchange that with the Ecopias would start understeering and squealing at 45 mph, with the new set up I can take it at 70 mph without a sound and only a slight understeer.

Here is a picture of the setup, it does help with filling out the wheel opening gaps a bit.

IMG_2755.JPG

Those wheels are probably particularly heavy. Find some light weight wheels, plus some Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and you'll have handling without the loss in range.

electrc109 said:
Those wheels are probably particularly heavy. Find some light weight wheels, plus some Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and you'll have handling without the loss in range.
I took ~8% loss in range when I put MXV4s on and it has not yet recovered (>3000 miles later) as some have suggested it might as the tire breaks in. But, yes, they do handle much more nicely.

Attachments

• mxv4s.jpg
    mxv4s.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 127
TickTock said:
electrc109 said:
I took ~8% loss in range when I put MXV4s on and it has not yet recovered (>3000 miles later) as some have suggested it might as the tire breaks in. But, yes, they do handle much more nicely.

I completely agree with your data points. My dash efficiency numbers closely resemble yours.

Back