2 Years of Leaf : Things to Cheer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

I talked about some things that didn't go too well here -> http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, what has gone well ? What pleasant surprises did we see in Leaf ?

Let me list a few things.

Leaf (and Volt) haven't had any major mechanical/electrical resulting in major injuries. That was one of the fears a lot of us had. Afterall these were V1 vehicles.

Leaf itself worked out very well for me personally. I've not had many days of "range anxiety". I wish it had more range in winter - that is probably my only complaint.

There were some Leaf running out of charge stories in the intial days. But after that we rarely hear about such cases.

There are more Plugins coming out than I had anticipated. Plugins from Ford, BMW & Toyota for eg. that are not just compliance cars. Model S has started out well with a long queue and has been well received by the press.

What are your thoughts on this ?

it has been a perfect car for me and my 50-mile roundtrip commute.
workplace has also been open to and did install blinks, which i dont need to use, and L1 usage.

i have had a few range-anxiety worries, but never had to emergency charge because i could not get home.
biggest issue has been some loss of range with upgraded tires.
even the rear-ending and damage was repaired without an issue.

It was a cool car to try, but I realized that it wouldn't work long term, I found that plugin like Volt is more practical for me today, especially in winter/freeway driving. Current Leaf left a negative impression on the actual range for me. I am not really in a hurry so I will wait until technology matures before I make another jump.

I think the biggest thing to cheer is the "fun to drive" factor. I had never driven an EV before so that was my biggest surprise; going back to the ICE car is a major step down in every respect except for range. The "snap-back-in-your-seat" acceleration of a LEAF going uphill really gets the attention of those who drive or ride in my car.

dgpcolorado said:
I think the biggest thing to cheer is the "fun to drive" factor. I had never driven an EV before so that was my biggest surprise; going back to the ICE car is a major step down in every respect except for range. The "snap-back-in-your-seat" acceleration of a LEAF going uphill really gets the attention of those who drive or ride in my car.
Me too.

I've wanted an EV for a long time, but never ventured into the DIY or conversion scene. Retired, so no commute, but the LEAF takes care of the "running around" just dandy. Expect to have a Tesla in the garage NLT Martch, and the ICE will go. Not interested in long cross-country travel, so those two EVs will handily take care of our driving needs.

Confession: While I am happy to reduce our dependence on oil, that is not my primary reason for EV driving. I just love things electric!

Bill

Things to cheer:

I have not been to a gas station in almost 2 years, not even for a Slurpee.

I have beaten every car that pulls up along side me in a race from light to light (I don't race farther than 100 yards or so)

Carpool Lane (except I'm bumming over the 10 Fastrak lanes)

Quiet, smooth, large Caddy like ride that fits in the dinky parking spaces at the shopping centers.

There is more I'm sure...............just give me more range, and I will really cheer!!!

At the top of my list is waking up every morning to a topped-off car that's ready for the day. It's so much better than gasoline and the novelty still hasn't worn off.

Other items are the incredible smoothness and quietness that make driving peaceful and relaxing.

The instantaneous "throttle response" is what every gasoline car dreams of having.

In fact, the attractive aspects of electric propulsion are what designers of gasoline engines have been laboring to achieve for over a century. They've made some great progress but if you want a engine that runs like an electric motor you're still better of using an electric motor. :)

My situation will be different from many here, but knowing now what I know and if I could go back, would I have gotten the LEAF? oh yes, absolutely. I would have negotiated a better lease "But u dont understand! in less than 2 years you will be leasing it for half price!"

As it stands today, right now. there is no other viable EV option out there for me. At one time, i thought the MiEV maybe but realize the loss of range would have lessened its role greatly for us.

And sure, I have QC and soon to have a bunch more and quick charging changes the game. I know I have said it several times before but it does bear repeating and it is the reason why the Focus or any other EV that does not use chademo is not a consideration.

Once again, it comes back to one choice; The LEAF. want to know why EVs are struggling? now you know why. lack of choices.

I thought it was silly until I tried it. Turning on the climate control a few minutes before I leave my office on a cold afternoon and then sitting in my Leaf with a warm cabin and steering wheel..priceless!

LEAF has been a great family car for us, and it quickly became our primary car, relegating our 2007 Prius to secondary status, though my spouse takes the Prius for her errands for no particular reason other than it happens to be the car with the child seat in it at the time, i.e., based on convenience.

Favorite factor has been free fueling with our solar PV system and TOU rates/charging overnight.

Others include the smoothness, quiet and instant torque of the EV power train, the coolness factor of driving something very new and different, being part of a great early adopter community and local interest group, and helping to inform others and interest groups about how an EV can fit into an average family's lifestyle.

I'm waiting for a really good performing EV that can match the thrill of acceleration and handling of the Mini E that I drove a couple years back. It ain't here yet, but I have hopes for the BMW i3.

There are more Plugins coming out than I had anticipated. Plugins from Ford, BMW & Toyota for eg. that are not just compliance cars.

Speaking of the emergence of new EVs, just today in coastal Orange County, I saw a FFE and a new Honda Fit EV, as well as a Fisker Karma at a car wash, and my neighbor across the street just took delivery of his new Volt, replacing a 14 year-old Camry. I was happy to help him to make his decision and to run the numbers on the impact on EV charging on his solar-equipped household budget.

#1 for me is just the fact that [reliable, practical, and affordable] EV's are finally available and apparently here to stay. Ever since the EV1's were scrapped I've been on countless waiting list of every flim-flam man with a CG EV car promise. I almost couldn't believe it when I drove off the lot.
#2 It is really a great car - very well done. And I include the battery in this assessment - it is also a great advancement. (The problem there was simply the mis-representation/over-selling of it's capability.)
#3 Love waking up each morning will a full "tank" and never having to go to a "gas" station (except for occasional long trips).
#4 Never been stranded (except once - deliberately during Tony's range test).
#5 The spirit of sharing and cooperation on the online community

The Leaf in my garage just passed the one year mark and now has just over 10,000 miles on the odometer. It has been a very trouble free year. The only time I have been to the Nissan dealer was for the one year battery check. The range on my car is holding up well and I enjoy starting the day with full tank of electrons. :)

I would echo the things listed by TickTock and what Dave said also. The Leaf is really the only car that fits my wants and needs right now. It looks like we will have more choices in the next couple of years and that will be great. I have no desire to buy a low volume compliance car. Looking forward to seeing the 2013 in the showrooms next year.

evnow said:
So, what has gone well ? What pleasant surprises did we see in Leaf ?
1) High reliability. The LEAF has proven itself to be extremely reliable transportation. With ~50,000 of them now sold worldwide, we have very few reports of people getting stranded due to malfunction.

2) Spacious interior. The interior of out LEAF is quite a bit more comfortable than our Honda Civic Hybrid.

3) Fun to drive! I particularly like the combination of extremely high efficiency and quick performance that is so elusive in ICE vehicles.

4) Comfortable ride. As mentioned, the ride in the LEAF is very smooth. On top of that, we can preheat the cabin in the garage with the door closed. In the wintertime, this means the cabin is warmer than any other car that we have.

I just have to echo what most everyone else has already said. We love the room in the car. I've had someone 6'5" in the car and they had plenty of space. We love how quiet it is. I can't believe how loud our ICE car is whenever I go back to it. We love that it costs us less than $1 a day for hubby's 44 mile commute versus $6-$7 a day if he were to drive our little pick-up. LOVE LOVE LOVE the heated steering wheel. Why doesn't every car have that? And we love smokin' anyone sitting at a light next to us... especially if it's a hot rod car and they look at us like ours is a toy or something. LOL. That is too much fun. :)

I've never really been a car person... if it got me where I was going, that's all that I asked. But I love how fun it is to drive our Leaf. :)

Benjenn said:
And we love smokin' anyone sitting at a light next to us... especially if it's a hot rod car and they look at us like ours is a toy or something. LOL. That is too much fun. :)

I've never really been a car person... if it got me where I was going, that's all that I asked. But I love how fun it is to drive our Leaf. :)

I love driving up steep hills at light speed. Never had a car that would do that. My Prius sounds like it going to die every time I try to navigate a steep hill. Glad we barely drive the Prius now except for long road trips. The Prius is such a dino compared to the Leaf.

I raced with a new black mustang a while back and blew him away of the line until 30mph where I stopped racing as that was the speed limit and he kept going. At the next light the guy driving gave me the biggest thumbs up. He couldn't believe I smoked him.

EVDrive said:
Benjenn said:
And we love smokin' anyone sitting at a light next to us... especially if it's a hot rod car and they look at us like ours is a toy or something. LOL. That is too much fun. :)

I love driving up steep hills at light speed. Never had a car that would do that. My Prius sounds like it going to die every time I try to navigate a steep hill. Glad we barely drive the Prius now except for long road trips. The Prius is such a dino compared to the Leaf.

I raced with a new black mustang a while back and blew him away of the line until 30mph where I stopped racing as that was the speed limit and he kept going. At the next light the guy driving gave me the biggest thumbs up. He couldn't believe I smoked him.
Are you sure it was his thumb? :)

Benjenn said:
Same here, this is the first new car I've ever had. Before the LEAF, I never had a reason to have a new car. But I wanted my EV fun to start ASAP, no waiting for a used LEAF...

Of course out here in the Midwest we're at a little over a year, not 2 like the west coast but ... our 2012's include the CWP (both front & rear seats as well as the steering wheel!!) and I guess no longer considered a first model year like those '11's who pioneered how it would do. The LEAF beat the FFE out here and if they both were offered at the same time still would have gone with the LEAF as Ford seems to be de-contenting the FFE (they dropped the homelink/auto mirror on their '13's) and have kept the FFE mostly a 'secret' with very low sales ... what we like:

- it's always ready to go each morning with our in-garage Schneider EVlink charger that tops it off each night
- costs to run and maintain are unbelievably low (6.6 cents per kWh out here); a one tire rotation the only 'maintenance'
- love the quiet ride, comfy seats and ease of use (other than paying attention to your range left, drives like a normal car)
- for me, the Cayenne Red still sparkles nicely and is easy to find in a parking lot due to that bustle back hatch
- passing gas stations (especially around the holidays) choked with cars in queue waiting to fill up; just something about it that puts a smile to my face!
- on hot days, it's already cooled off waiting for me to head home thanks to pre-cooling, and again no gas idling remote start needed
- still (unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it) a rare site in the NW 'burbs of Chicago and still gets a few looks

dgpcolorado said:
Totally agree. For me this was the unexpected surprise. IMO EV manufacturers need to put more focus on this in their marketing, and design.

redLEAF said:
a rare site in the NW 'burbs of Chicago and still gets a few looks
The LEAF is a rare sight here in Philly, but no one gives mine a second glance. I believe most people don't realize that the LEAF is not a hybrid or a normal car.

Back