200 miles on a charge...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregH

Ok, maybe 160-180.
If you could replace the 66Ah modules in your Leaf (all 48 of them) for modules of the exact same dimension but with 130Ah of capacity, how much would you pay for that? The battery box, BMS and instrumentation would be unchanged, just the 48 modules themselves. Given the thermal constraints I couldn't say for sure that the over all life of the modules would be any different, but you'd have twice the capacity. What might this be worth?
[edit 130, not 150Ah]

I don't know, but that was a hope I was holding for the replacement pack I planned to buy 5+ years from the car being new. Do you have any information on a company with plans like that or is it a hypothetical?

GregH said:
Ok, maybe 160-180.
If you could replace the 66Ah modules in your Leaf (all 48 of them) for modules of the exact same dimension but with 130-150Ah of capacity, how much would you pay for that? The battery box, BMS and instrumentation would be unchanged, just the 48 modules themselves. Given the thermal constraints I couldn't say for sure that the over all life of the modules would be any different, but you'd have twice the capacity. What might this be worth?

this is the holy grail that nissan and many others are trying to accomplish.
150-200 miles of range in an affordable vehicle.
if you are able to conquer it today it could be better than winning the powerball

GregH said:
Ok, maybe 160-180.
If you could replace the 66Ah modules in your Leaf (all 48 of them) for modules of the exact same dimension but with 130-150Ah of capacity, how much would you pay for that? The battery box, BMS and instrumentation would be unchanged, just the 48 modules themselves. Given the thermal constraints I couldn't say for sure that the over all life of the modules would be any different, but you'd have twice the capacity. What might this be worth?

Well, if we're going to pull the pack to change these out, it might be a good time to insulate the pack and put in at least a rudimentary TMS on it. That could be as simple as a resistance heater that only heats while the car is plugged in from "shoreline power" and an extra "loop" in the a/c pump to send cooled refrigerant to the top of the pack.

Yes, both of these would need some type of control unit.

Don't the 2012+ cars have a pack heater? I'd actually like a cooler...

Yes, I'm working with people who have the technology and the means to produce modules like this, but not the funding. The materials alone would cost over $10k. Chances are such an upgrade would cost upwards of $20k.

GregH said:
Ok, maybe 160-180.
Right now my pack is in great shape so I wouldn't be willing to pay much (definitely not 20 thousand) for a pack that might give me an additional 80 mile range. I'll have to wait and see what battery pack replacements are available and the costs when my pack no longer works for me.

How much would they be willing to give me for my existing pack?

mwalsh said:
GregH said:
Chances are such an upgrade would cost upwards of $20k.
Yeah. I can't do that.
Assuming the existing pack is worth something in trade, I could just barely see doing it. I'd prefer something a little cheaper, and it might end up better to buy a used Tesla to get the range.

Yeah.. just a thought experiment at the moment. But I would imagine that if the original pack being replaced was still in decent shape it would have value.. Perhaps some of the AZ folks would shell out a few $k for a 2 year old Coastal pack with 60-64Ah of life.

GregH said:
Don't the 2012+ cars have a pack heater? I'd actually like a cooler...

2011 with Cold Weather Package and all 2012-2013 have six 50 watt heaters. They currently only turn on at -20C. So, we'd need a little software to get the pack temp up to 70F.

The cooler would take a LOT of work.

Back