2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
What is not clear to me in Leafinthepark's deal is whether the T&T is to be paid extra or if that is something already included into the overall down payment/monthly payments ?

If T&T is not extra then these are excellent deals.

Here is my final numbers...just had them emailed to me this morning...I will enter them as they appear on the pdf.

Dealer said:
Our List Price: $32,985.00
Discount Savings: -$2,778.00
Vehicle Selling Price: $30,207.00
Doc Prep Fee: $75.00
License/Title: $498.00
Bank Fee: $595.00
Tax on Collected Items: $373.06
Total Cap: $31,748.06
Down/Cash Cap Reduction: -$1,846.13
Rebate Savings: -$7,500.00
Net Cap: $22,401.93

24 Month Payment $153.87

Down/Cash Cap Reduction: $1,846.13
Fist month payment $153.87
Due on Delivery $2,000.00

Rate 0.0020
Annual Miles 15,000
Residual % ($32,985) 63%
Residual Amount $20,780.55

MN tax 7.15%

If I am reading this right, the TTL and other fees are rolled into the lease. Can someone confirm?

I am very happy with this deal...much better than I had expected (especially after the initial quote from dealer #1). I have been informed to expect my car is shipping directly from the factory and I can expect it sometime next week. Went with the metallic slate. Can't wait!!!!!

LeafinThePark said:
If I am reading this right, the TTL and other fees are rolled into the lease. Can someone confirm?
Yes, TTL etc can be rolled into the lease. That is how you can get "zero down" lease (your credit score must be good, I guess).

bobsfreeleaf said:
timhebb said:
tsowen said:
I got a 2013 Nissan Leaf S with charge package last night. I am in California.

- zero down
- $185/month plus tax ($201 with tax)
- 24 month
- 15k miles/year
- $395 deposition fee

I am using VPP.

Thanks evnow for providing the spreadsheet. When I walked into the sales office, I was quoted a $235 monthly payment. After I pointed out some glitches in his quote, sales manager agreed to lower the payment. If I didn't see the spreadsheet, I would have thought VPP numbers are non-negotiable.

I am really excited!
I am curious to know: what about your deal was worth forfeiting the California $2,500 CARB rebate, which you would have received on a 36-month lease? Not trying to be a spoiler at all, just genuinely wondering ... Enjoy your Leaf S!!
Hi: Assuming the dealer got to keep the $2500 rebate, I bet his drive off would have gone up $2500 if he went to 36 months; but it would be nice to see a 36 month quote, for sure. However, having just leased an S at $219 a month, zero out the door (after rebate) for 39 months, 12k miles a year, his seems to me the better deal: 15k vs 12k; $201 vs. $219; 24 vs 39 mos (he gets a new one sooner!); Since my deal was pretty close to the advertised loss leader deal, I think he did great. Plus he got an S model, which is pretty hard to find in my city. Take care, Bob
Thanks for your response, Bob, but I don't think anyone is entitled to the $2,500 California Air Resources Board rebate with less than a 36-month lease. And with a 36-month lease, the only recipient can be the owner or lessee of the vehicle, not the dealer (unless the owner just wants to hand it over to them). So, unless the lease terms change so significantly that they would cancel out a $2,500 check from CA state, I still don't understand why one wouldn't benefit financially more from a 36-month lease rather than a 24-month one, in California. I'd love to hear from anyone who does...thanks.

timhebb said:
Thanks for your response, Bob, but I don't think anyone is entitled to the $2,500 California Air Resources Board rebate with less than a 36-month lease. And with a 36-month lease, the only recipient can be the owner or lessee of the vehicle, not the dealer (unless the owner just wants to hand it over to them). So, unless the lease terms change so significantly that they would cancel out a $2,500 check from CA state, I still don't understand why one wouldn't benefit financially more from a 36-month lease rather than a 24-month one, in California. I'd love to hear from anyone who does...thanks.

It's my impression that even considering the $2500 rebate, the average monthly cost (total cost/month of lease) for 36-month lease is higher than 24-month lease. So I didn't go with 36-month lease. I didn't check for 36-month lease price. So I could be wrong. In addition, I will get a new one sooner.

Hi,

I've monitored this site for 6 months and watched folks go round and round with all the confusing dealer numbers, taxes, rebates, etc. Only the names change. Dealers love it because it creates confusion. And when buyers are confused, they make alot of money.

When comparing deals only ONE thing matters: How much am I am paying for the lease over the lease period for the miles am I getting. Total amount paid for the lease deal involves a simple addition calculation:

1) How much am I putting down?

Plus

2) How much are my total payments?

Plus

3) How much will they charge me to turn the car in at the end?

The last 3 Leaf leases on this Forum went down as follows:

Tsowens in CA leased an S for a total cost of $5200 over 2 years, getting 15k miles. Great deal!

Leafinthepark in MN leased an SV for a total cost of $5900 over 2 years, getting 15k miles. Great deal!

Kumar's friend in TX leased an SV with added camera package (and perhaps something else he listed that may not be standard on an SV) for a total of $6800 over 2 years, getting 12k miles. Well, you be the judge.

See my full calculations in my recent post.

Keep your eye on the ball. Just confirm with the dealer the 3 questions above (preferably in writing). I am familiar with the car business from the inside. I have few skills in life, but in my career I negotiate for a living and have learned a lot over the past 30 years - sometimes the hard way! I can tell you that the dealer will hate dealing with you and may try to avoid these questions. They want the buyer to continue to be confused by playing the numbers game. Car dealers are notorious. They know that they end up making more money by their traditional way of selling than just establishing a set price for a car as other retail establishments do for non-automobile products.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their information. It helps us buyers try to even the playing field. And, make no mistake, it is a game. And dealers are better at it than ANY of us.

Good Luck to all!

Ron

Corina1231 said:
Hi,

I've monitored this site for 6 months and watched folks go round and round with all the confusing dealer numbers, taxes, rebates, etc. Only the names change. Dealers love it because it creates confusion. And when buyers are confused, they make alot of money.

When comparing deals only ONE thing matters: How much am I am paying for the lease over the lease period for the miles am I getting. This involves a simple addition calculation:

Plus

Plus

P3) How much will they charge me to turn the car in at the end?

Tsowens in CA leased an S for a total cost of $5200 over 2 years, getting 15k miles. Great deal!

Leafinthepark in MN leased an SV for a total cost of $5900 over 2 years, getting 15k miles. Great deal!

Kumar's friend in TX leased an SV with added camera package (and perhaps something else he listed that may not be standard on an SL) for a total of $6800 over 2 years, getting 12k miles. Well, you be the judge.

Just confirm with the dealer these 3 questions (preferably in writing). Coming from someone who is familiar with the car business from the inside, I will tell you that hey will hate you anmay try to avoid these questions. They want you to continue to be confused by playing the numbe
Good Luck to all!

Ron

3. Most dealers waive the disposition fee if you buy or lease another car from them. For the LEAF I've always seen it as the same set fee (IIRC, $350).

New to the boards...

I am in bay area and looking into my options with leaf.

Is it financially better to get a 2 year lease or 3 year...since over 2 years the CA credit doesnt apply?

From what I have seen boardwalk nissan seems to have pretty good leases advertised, or am I reading the numbers wrong?

Although the residual seems a little overpriced considering if I buy the same car today wuld be 18800 including CA rebate and FED rebate.

If I was to get this deal, what else should I negotiate?

Also one important thing to me is setting a timer overnight to tell the leaf when the charge.. Can I do this on the S or only the SV/SL?

S Lease:
$99 a month plus taxes
MSRP: $29,870
Term: 24 Months
Annual Mileage: 12,000
Down Payment: $1,995
Residual Value: $18,519

tsowen said:
timhebb said:

It's my impression that even considering the $2500 rebate, the average monthly cost (total cost/month of lease) for 36-month lease is higher than 24-month lease. So I didn't go with 36-month lease. I didn't check for 36-month lease price. So I could be wrong. In addition, I will get a new one sooner.

in some cases that is correct depending on terms of your deal.

the $312.50 verses $208.33 (fed tax credit) is the difference.

but if you are putting a down payment $2,000 you might want to re evaluate the total cost because in a 3 year lease, you would be driving the LEAF pretty cheaply that last year.

it also really depends on whether you have that down payment. I know a few that put it on their CC and got the money from the state before the money was due

stavtom said:

Is it financially better to get a 2 year lease or 3 year...since over 2 years the CA credit doesnt apply?

Uhh, you have it backwards. In order to get the $2500 CVRP rebate, you must purchase the car, or lease for at least 3 years, and promise to retain the vehicle for at least 3 years. Unless they specifically allow you to do so, getting rid of the car before the 3 years is up could mean you have to refund the CVRP a pro-rated share of the rebate.

Also one important thing to me is setting a timer overnight to tell the leaf when the charge.. Can I do this on the S or only the SV/SL?

You can only set an "end" timer on the Leaf S. The others have a beginning and an end timer, and either or both can be used.

Stavtom writes: New to the boards...

From what I have seen boardwalk nissan seems to have pretty good leases advertised, or am I reading the numbers wrong?

Although the residual seems a little overpriced considering if I buy the same car today wuld be 18800 including CA rebate and FED rebate.

If I was to get this deal, what else should I negotiate?

S Lease:
$99 a month plus taxes
MSRP: $29,870
Term: 24 Months
Annual Mileage: 12,000
Down Payment: $1,995
Residual Value: $18,519

------------------------------------------

Stavtom,

Welcome to the board.

You will need to know if your taxes are rolled into your down or monthly payment? I know that they are not because I read Boardwalk's fine print. In fact, TTL, all extra! Not to mention " bank fees " and "dealer fees", whatever those are! You will also need to know the disposition fee (standard in Nissan contracts is $395) at lease end.

Read the cryptic fine print:

*S Lease Based on an MSRP of $29,870 (including destination charge) for a 2013 Nissan Leaf S excluding first payment, tax, title, license, bank and dealer fees. Purchase option at lease end for $18,519. At lease end lessees responsible for $0.15/mile over 24,000 miles and excessive wear and tear. Lessee responsible for insurance. Closed-end lease offered to highly qualified lessees on approved credit by NMAC. Additional charges may apply at lease end. Net price does not include tax, license, or dealer fees. One at this price.

What Boardwalk did is what they (and all dealers) always do: throw some attractive upfront low numbers at you and hope you either don't read or ignore the rest. If you call them for more details they will refer you to their "appointment secretary" whose job is to give you no more information on the phone but instead arrange an appointment for you to come into the dealership for details. And then you will be playing ball in their court where the home court advantage is more advantageous than the NBA.

To answer one of your other questions, the best dealer to buy from is the one YOU negotiate the best with on any given day. All dealers make as much money as they can on each person, so the deal depends on the buyer not the dealership.

I've monitored this site for 6 months and watched folks go round and round with all the confusing dealer numbers, taxes, rebates, etc. Only the names change. Dealers love it because it creates confusion. And when buyers are confused, dealers make alot of money. They thwart your attempts to compare deals every which way they can. That is why 80% of people who buy cars believe they got a "good deal", when in actuality, 80% did not.

When comparing deals only ONE thing matters: How much am I am paying for the lease over the lease period for the miles am I getting. Total amount paid for the lease deal involves a simple addition calculation:

Plus

Plus

3) How much will they charge me to turn the car in at the end?

Leafinthepark in MN leased an SV for a total cost of $5945 over 2 years, getting 15k miles. Great deal!

Kumar's friend in TX leased an SV with added camera package (and perhaps something else he listed that may not be standard on an SV) for a total of $6800 over 2 years, getting 12k miles. Well, you be the judge.

As you can see the Boardwalk advertised deal PLUS TTL, dealer fees, bank fees, and the disposition fee would be at least the cost of Tsowens Sunnyvale S deal and probably MORE. And Tsowens got 15k miles a year which is 6k more miles over the life of the lease!

In regards to a THREE year lease, I leased a 2012 SL w/ added leather (standard now for the 2013 SL), 12k miles a year, last October in NorCal for $2775 down and $225 month for 36 months, with a $395 disposition fee upon turn in. I was rebated $2500 by CA. My total outlay is $8770 for the 3 year lease.

Also, darwinchaug13 (p.13 of this thread) leased a 2013 S model in SoCA for THREE years, 12k miles a year for $2400 down, $200 month, plus the $395 disposition fee (then got the $2500 CA rebate) for a total outlay of $7495 for the 3 year lease.

Keep your eye on the ball. Just confirm with the dealer the 3 questions above (preferably in writing). I am familiar with the car business from the inside. I have few skills in life, but in my career I negotiate for a living and have learned a lot over the past 30 years - sometimes the hard way! I can tell you that the dealer will hate dealing with you and will try to avoid answering these questions. They want the buyer to continue to be confused by playing the numbers game. Car dealers are notorious. They know that they end up making more money by their traditional way of selling than just establishing a set price for a car as other retail establishments do for non-automobile products. They won't do that - you would then be able to compare deals easily. That is, once again, the last thing they want you to be able to do.

Good Luck!

Ron

Thanks for your help! I saw your 1,2,3 after I posted but knowing what deal you got for the SL. Yeah I tried asking these questions and they just keep telling me to come in : ). Ill keep fighting and let you know what I get if I get a deal.

I leased a 2013 SV with 6.6 on-board, rear view and Bose/Nav with $750 down.
Description Amount Tax Total
BASE RENT $ 250.39 $ 7.51 $257.90
LEASETOTAL $ 0.00 $ 0.00 $257.90
Total Amount Due $ 257.90 per month /24 months
MSRP was around $34,500 minus 7500 tax credit bundled into cost.

Contract Details
Account Number 25xxxxxxxxx
Residual Amount $21,101.70 Pay off is : Payoff Amount: $24,493.72
Good Through: 03/24/13
The security deposit of $0.00 has been deducted.

Security Deposit 0.00
Disposition fee 0.00
(Turn-in Fee) $395.00
Excess Per Mile Charge $0.15/mile
Contracted Miles 30,017 / note started with 17 on the car lot.
Start Date 02/23/2013
Maturity Date 02/25/2015
Adjusted Maturity Date none listed.
http://www.asianleopard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If we view a lease as a long term rental, and given that the price of money today is close to zero, then we should simply focus on how much we pay for each mile.

Some other considerations and simplifying assumptions:
  1. Drive as much as the max allowed and not one mile more
  2. Charging costs are not relevant for deal-making, but will play a role in actual TCO
  3. Include taxes in your calculations, but be aware that may differ across juristictions
  4. Understand that certain options may significantly change the cost
  5. The 24 month lease is cheaper (at least here in CA) and more flexible; I see no downside

Based on Corina1231's data, plus Asianleopard's post above, here are my calculations:

LeafData.jpg

(3/25/13 update: added - Chris, Jmeitz.)

From the above, it seems that 17 cents per mile (CPM) is currently the floor for S, 20 for SV and 24 for SL.

Sound about right?

(I've surmised that Asianleopard is in MI via the url in her/his post. Apologies if that's incorrect.)

(4/17/13 update: added - Pcx999, Allmaggyu, Redjr, Apvbguy, Ttbbsolid, Aat167, Bradbissel, Pushpak. Deleted - Corina1231 since we now have a 2013 SL benchmark available.)

stavtom said:
The three year lease is probably better. To compare the leases it's easiest if you find how much per month each lease will cost you. The two year lease is $199/month for 23 months ($4,577) + the $2000 down + $750 CA tax (on the $7500 cap reduction) + $1000 for acquisition and disposal fees. That's $8327 or $346.96/month.

For the 36 month lease you have 35 payments of $249 ($8715) + 2000 down + $750 CA tax + $1000 acquisition and disposal fees - $2500 CARB rebate. That's $9965 or $276.80/month.

You can substitute other numbers depending on your deal.

Pushpak said:
If we view a lease as a long term rental, and given that the price of money today is close to zero, then we should simply focus on how much we pay for each mile.
Assuming you can use the miles. It's always cheaper to buy the miles up front but if you end up driving 11K miles a year the 15K mile lease will be more expensive. I understand you assumed that every mile will be driven but that's not a realistic assumption.

SanDust said:
Assuming you can use the miles. It's always cheaper to buy the miles up front but if you end up driving 11K miles a year the 15K mile lease will be more expensive. I understand you assumed that every mile will be driven but that's not a realistic assumption.
If the goal is to predict TCO or mileage/price sensitivity, then certainly assuming full usage is unrealistic. But if the goal is to find a back-of-the-envelope lease "attractiveness", say, before going into a negotiation, we're simply comparing apples to apples.

stavtom wrote:

SanDust responded:
The three year lease is probably better. To compare the leases it's easiest if you find how much per month each lease will cost you. The two year lease is $199/month for 23 months ($4,577) + the $2000 down + $750 CA tax (on the $7500 cap reduction) + $1000 for acquisition and disposal fees. That's $8327 or $346.96/month.

For the 36 month lease you have 35 payments of $249 ($8715) + 2000 down + $750 CA tax + $1000 acquisition and disposal fees - $2500 CARB rebate. That's $9965 or $276.80/month.

You can substitute other numbers depending on your deal.

..................................................................................

I agree with SanDust. It is my experience that is ALWAYS cheaper per mile to do a 3 years, 36k over a 2 year 24k lease offer by the SAME dealer on the SAME vehicle. I once was a sales manager at a dealership, leased 4 cars myself and I have monitored this board for 6 months and have never seen it work out differently. The primary reason 3 year leases are cheaper is that cars depreciate more the 1st year and a lesser percentage every year to follow. It follows that cars depreciate at a lesser rate in the third year than the second. What primarily determines a lease price? It is a direct function of the amount of depreciation of a vehicle over time.

However, apparently if you qualify for Nissan's 2013 VPP program, the set lease prices on the 2 year leases are a better deal than the 3, unless you live in CA where your 3 year lease nets a $2500 state rebate. Evnow has posted charts which show this, but his chart does not take into consideration the CA rebate adjustment on 3 year leases, or TTL. For the rest of us not VPPers, I believe that our negotiations on 3 year leases with dealers will continue to yield better results than a 2 year anywhere, and significantly better in CA. I believe that we can negotiate VPP-like deals or better, as I did last October on my 2012 3 year SL lease and TSowens did recently on his 2013 2 year S lease.

I heard a rumor that dealers are pushing 2 year leases on Nissan Leafs because they can collect the $7500 federal rebate in 2 years instead of 3. I spoke to a friend at Nissan and he admitted it was true but has turned into a sales pitch to the customer to make them believe their deal will be better, too. When you crunch the numbers (as I did a few weeks ago on this thread for a guy) the dealers' 3 year offer will still be cheaper the dealer's 2 year lease, unless you take the VPP deal. At least in CA with the rebate for sure.

However, to be fair, you should consider that you often have to put on at least 2 tires and sometimes 4, and possibly have a break job during the 3 year lease period as opposed to a 2. If you think you will continue to do two year leases at the end of the lease, you might crunch the numbers and make a better argument for the 2 year lease. This additional maintenance cost is a secondary reason a dealer must price 3 year leases cheaper than 2 year leases.

As to PushPak's and SanDust's correct assertion that you shouldn't lease for more miles than you need, that's never a problem for me. I am a little OCD so it's no surprise I have always turned my cars in with less than 15 miles to the max. OK, I admit it's true that once I drove around a little at the end to get right on the max, but only once, I swear!!!!

PS: PushPak, I like your per mile analysis. Nice job!

tsowen said:
timhebb said:

Seems you are correct that the 24 month leases are a lower net cost than the 36. I would have never guessed that to be true, since it makes no sense that Nissan would let you have the vehicle for less in the first two years than in the third. Go figure, I never thought to ask about a two year deal. If the CA rebate is not available to Nissan Credit (the owner) on a two year lease, it makes even less sense that the 24 would be cheaper, rather than $2500 more than the three year deals. There are some crazy dynamics going on here. Anyway, anything close to $200 a month, net cost, is pretty sweet; better than that a steal.

bobsfreeleaf said:
If the CA rebate is not available to Nissan Credit (the owner) on a two year lease, it makes even less sense that the 24 would be cheaper, rather than $2500 more than the three year deals.

The CA rebate does not go to NMAC like the $7500 Federal tax credit does. It goes directly to the owner/lessee. That's why you have to apply for it separately, and is not taken off the price immediately like the Federal credit is when leasing through NMAC.

As far as why 24 month leases can be offered for less money than 36 month ones, either NMAC is offering a superior money factor for the shorter leases, or they expect the car to seriously decline in value after the first 2 years, or a combination of both.

Back