2013 Bugs & Noises

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lion

I have been searching for a thread like this, and couldn't find a thread discussing all of these issues in 1 place, so if it exists, please delete this one :)

Since this is my first LEAF, I'm still trying to learn which noises are normal, and which ones aren't.

Once in a while, I experience wind noise on the driver side front window, haven't been able to confirm if this is normal, or if it's just my car. Then there is the loud clicking which happens when shifting from reverse to drive, but search seems to reveal others are experiencing this as well.

Anyways, besides getting some answers, I also wanted to start documenting this for the 2013 MY, making it easy for folks to find this stuff.

I have no sound at all shifting from R to D on my 13.

I do notice a click when it switched from 100% regen braking to friction braking. I never noticed this on my 11, but it is incidental and not an issue.

hm, it mostly happens in the morning, after getting out of my driveway, so maybe it only happens after the first shift? Found some other threads talking about it, I'll have to do some digging now, thought for sure this was 'normal'.

lion said:
hm, it mostly happens in the morning, after getting out of my driveway, so maybe it only happens after the first shift? Found some other threads talking about it, I'll have to do some digging now, thought for sure this was 'normal'.

well if it aint normal chalk me up as having issues too ;) i think were fine.

lion said:
This is the traction control check, I believe. Happens in '11 as well.

I have the same "thud" from R to D in the morning or after it has been parked for a while (i.e. after work). I do feel it on the acceleration pedal. If I stop for a little while (i.e. grocery shopping) and pull out from the parking space, no noise is heard. I noticed if I accelerate harder after shifting to D and it's been sitting for a while, the noise is louder. So I am guessing it's normal since others are experience it. I was going to take it in to have it checked out. Oh and I have a 2013 S model

It actually feels like it's some sort of tension released by a spring, not sure.

So has anyone else noticed the wind noise coming from the driver side window (only in certain conditions tho)

Yea after I drove it home today, it is more like you stated (releasing spring tension or something). It is very noticeable...

Alright, so am happy to confirm that one, as I'm not sure if the dealer would figure this one out right away.

Only thing left to figure out is the wind noise, I had something similar in my Toyota RAV4, which was caused by a mirror design flaw, so am hoping this isn't a similar issue.

lion said:
Alright, so am happy to confirm that one, as I'm not sure if the dealer would figure this one out right away.

Only thing left to figure out is the wind noise, I had something similar in my Toyota RAV4, which was caused by a mirror design flaw, so am hoping this isn't a similar issue.
Mine has a bit of wind noise as well as other that I test drove. I suspect it's between the mirror and the body or someplace around there.

lion said:
Once in a while, I experience wind noise on the driver side front window, haven't been able to confirm if this is normal, or if it's just my car.
I complained about this to the dealer when we first got our 2011. The mechanic had me sit in the passenger seat and listen on that side. The noise was identical on that side.

It seems those funky headlights did not completely eliminate wind noise from the mirrors!

Back