2013 LEAF capacity bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electromotive

Thank you to all that contacted me with regard to the Washington State tax difficulties on a new LEAF purchased in another state then licensed and registered for the first time ever in Washington.
New question: Does there exist a nomogram dealing with the expected battery capacity bar loss given a LEAF's external color and mileage? Perhaps with number of QCs included?
There appear to be far too many 13s with mileage over 35K with 12 capacity bars still showing. Both Japan build and Smyrna build.
Prices of used LEAFs continue a downward spiral in the NoCal/Bay Area.
Thank you.

electromotive said:
New question: Does there exist a nomogram dealing with the expected battery capacity bar loss given a LEAF's external color and mileage? Perhaps with number of QCs included?
No. Nissan published anything publicly of the sort for any Leaf. Some folks put together an aging model for '11 and '12 Leafs: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery_Capacity_Loss#Battery_Aging_Model.

Just because a car has had 0 QCs (mine has 0 since it doesn't have CHAdeMO inlet) doesn't mean it won't degrade.
electromotive said:
There appear to be far too many 13s with mileage over 35K with 12 capacity bars still showing. Both Japan build and Smyrna build.
Prices of used LEAFs continue a downward spiral in the NoCal/Bay Area.
My used '13 built 5/2013, 1st in-service date near end of 6/2013 that I bought in July 2015 still has all 12 capacity bars at past 39.4K miles. I'm in a hotter part of the Bay Area. I'm sure I'll be done at least 1 capacity bar within a year from now, judging by Leaf Spy stats vs. when I bought it used. I originally thought I'd be down a capacity bar by end of summer (2016), but that obviously didn't happen.

I don't know what you mean by '13 Leaf Japan build. I'm unaware of these existing in the US.

I've people claiming on https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/ reports of '13 Leafs (presumably 4/2013 and later build months) not losing a capacity bar in that (mild climate) area until 70K miles, which they said was unheard of on '11 and '12 Leafs.

There was a change in the battery chemistry starting with models built around April 2013. When the exact switch to the new chemistry took place is not known. The battery packs in the 2013 models built January through March appear to be using the same chemistry as the 2011/2012 battery packs. My 2013 SV was built in January 2013 and went into service near the end of February. It spent the first two years in Georgia as a lease, and has been in Nevada since March 2015. It just dropped the third capacity bar on November 9th at 24,508 miles. I expect to get a new battery sometime next summer.

baustin said:
There was a change in the battery chemistry starting with models built around April 2013. When the exact switch to the new chemistry took place is not known. The battery packs in the 2013 models built January through March appear to be using the same chemistry as the 2011/2012 battery packs. My 2013 SV was built in January 2013 and went into service near the end of February. It spent the first two years in Georgia as a lease, and has been in Nevada since March 2015. It just dropped the third capacity bar on November 9th at 24,508 miles. I expect to get a new battery sometime next summer.
My 2013SL is about 2000 cars newer than baustin's, but we both have the same "old" battery chemistry and the new charger in the front and the heat pump. I am in a little cooler climate. I have 32000miles and 12 bars, about 90% SOH.

I think the moving the charger to the front of the car made a big differance in the heating of the battery during charging. I am convinced that even the first 2013 cars with the old battery chemistry are much better that the 2011 and 2012 cars. Of course still not good for Pheonix or Las Vegas, but much better in most of the country.

Thanks,
Dan

Back