2013 LEAF Specs, Pricing, Options Released In Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DoxyLover said:
Herm said:
I looked around and could not find mention of it anywhere, so no booster or charger integrated into the motor assembly.
My bad. I'd seen this photo: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20121121/252171/?SS=imgview_e&FD=46728356&ad_q and assumed that the charger was in the stack. Looking back, it is not.
But it is in the stack, it's the square box on the very top, which is now euphemistically called power delivery module. I feel we seem to be running in circles, part of it might be semantics, and another part was likely lost in translation. I think we all know the Leaf and Nissan well enough to assess what is the likely extent of changes they made to the drive train. My personal reading of all this is that it's an incremental change. A good one, but it's not radical by any measure, and I try not to read too much into it. The increased range messaging is the work of the marketing department, not the engineers. While there definitely will be an improvement, how much of it we will see and under what circumstances, remains to be seen.

I can't read Japanese, but the description for the 2013 Power Delivery Module (at the top of the power train stack, just above the Inverter which is just above the Motor) includes the same 5 characters as the description for the present rear Charger (as well as the characters for the present DC/DC Converter). This leads me to guess that the PDM contains charger functionality as well as DC/DC converter functionality. I am referring to this schematic:

http://www.mag-x.com/images_new/201210/23/20121023_1_2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeD said:
I can't read Japanese, but the description for the 2013 Power Delivery Module (at the top of the power train stack, just above the Inverter which is just above the Motor) includes the same 5 characters as the description for the present rear Charger (as well as the characters for the present DC/DC Converter). This leads me to guess that the PDM contains charger functionality as well as DC/DC converter functionality.
Excellent point, Mike. The Japanese description is exactly the same. I will meet up with couple of Japanese friends this holiday weekend, and I will be sure to ask them for their opinion. Perhaps others will be able to collect additional data points. I marked the charger in the Nikkei photo referenced above for clarity:

2013leafcharger

It's clear to me that they have indeed implemented the OBC (charger) into the top of this stack. The only point I was disputing was the inclusion of a HV boost converter. I do not think they have done such a thing.

I suspect they will simply change the guts of the top module to offer a 6.6kW unit.

-Phil

I'm going to be at Nissan in Japan week after next, and will be sitting with the LEAF product team to discuss a variety of topics. If you have a question you would like me to ask, please let me know.

I also wanted to mention that I think everyone will be quite pleased with how Nissan will stand behind battery performance for the coming BEVs in their US portfolio.

OrientExpress said:
I also wanted to mention that I think everyone will be quite pleased with how Nissan will stand behind battery performance for the coming BEVs in their US portfolio.

They already have a warranty for performance. They are lacking one for capacity. Are they adding capacity to the warranty?

OrientExpress said:

That's very welcome news. How about them standing behind the vehicles in their current BEV portfolio?

I'm much more concerned with how they are going to stand behind their CURRENT BEVs. Because if they don't, they will never get a chance to sell me a coming BEV...

OrientExpress said:

OrientExpress said:
I'm going to be at Nissan in Japan week after next, and will be sitting with the LEAF product team to discuss a variety of topics. If you have a question you would like me to ask, please let me know.
I would like to know if they are working on a 36kwh battery pack for the LEAF plus plus model?

For me the 2012 Leaf with a 24kwh battery pack is perfect, however most people want an EV with longer range. If Nissan would have a low cost model with a small battery pack and a more expensive model Leaf with a 36kwh pack, it would be a real game changer.

Have you noticed how many people on this forum have a deposit on a Tesla ?

palmermd said:
OrientExpress said:

They already have a warranty for performance. They are lacking one for capacity. Are they adding capacity to the warranty?

Stay tuned. You will be pleased.

OrientExpress said:
palmermd said:
OrientExpress said:

If you know, why not tell us?

KJD said:
In this video a Nissan executive says in Japan that they have 400 fast chargers and plan to expand that to 700.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080578_2013-nissan-leaf-electric-car-revealed-in-japanese-trim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now if we had 700 fast chargers here in USA the LEAF sales would be much better than they are today. It would appear that at least in Japan "They get it". :)

That's because the Nissan executives live in Japan & not the USA. They need DCQC. The Americans can just charge at home...

Philip

OrientExpress said:
palmermd said:
OrientExpress said:

Good. Sounds like they are comitted to staying in the game.

Nissan's "Leaf to Home" functionality is clearly a desirable one for most homeowners (with Leafs) to have in power outage situations, but the current implementation is way too pricey and complex using the DC CHAdeMO connector and the associated PCS (Power Control System) unit. Could it be that Nissan is moving in the direction with its 2013 Leaf "Power Delivery Module" to provide a much less costly and complicated way to provide "Leaf to Home" by way of a bidirectional J1772 connector approach?

According to this link http://www.hybridcars.com/news/chademo-and-sae-j1772-one-fast-dc-charger-61055.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; others are already thinking along V2G functionality with the new SAE combo plug, so maybe "EV to Home" may be available even sooner as a sub-functionality. Apparently we humans are not going to be able to head off more and more severe natural disasters as a consequence of GW, so maybe at least we can try to somewhat mitigate its consequences...

philipscoggins said:
That's because the Nissan executives live in Japan & not the USA. They need DCQC. The Americans can just charge at home...
We need QC as well. If we had abundant QC, there would be ZERO range anxiety.

Back