2013 LEAF Specs, Pricing, Options Released In Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stanton said:
TEG said:
...It looks like they plan to offer a smaller 120V@12A portable EVSE...

...I think they're concerned with PO'd EVSE suppliers complaining that "these Leaf guys keep upgrading their (free) units to 240v instead of buying ours"! I wouldn't be surprised if this new unit can NOT be upgraded (to 240v) in a similar fashion. That ship may have sailed... :cry:

Assuming that the US LEAF gets the same new (smaller) unit like the Japan brochure shows, it may be the same unit that now comes with the new Toyota RAV4EV. EVSEupgrade already upgraded at least one of those to do 240V, so I think it is possible. I heard that it wasn't "up to snuff" to do 16A though, so stuck at 12A.

[ Edit: I see that Tony responded. Per use timeout?! WTF! ]

•More responsive and exhilarating acceleration feel delivered by a newly designed motor

OK so what exactly does that mean !?!

It just 'feels' faster but isn't? If I put 'go faster stripes' on my car I may 'feel' it's going quicker, but it ain't.

I hope this is just a badly translated way of saying the new motor and weight reductions mean the car accelerates more quickly. i.e. the performance increase is real and not 'imagined'.

JPWhite said:
I don't see the red 'panic button' on the FOB. Either they ditched that to make place for the charging port opener (huge improvement IMHO) or the japs never had a panic button in the first place and we'll go to a 4 button fob like some of the older Nissan's I've driven. In fact a dedicated button on the FOB isn't necessary, pressing the unlock button twice could open the charger port door.

The only thing the Japanese need a panic button for is a Godzilla attack, and those happen very infrequently anymore. In fact, the last one I can remember was in 2004.

TonyWilliams said:
Bigboler said:
I think the humps in the cargo area are the casings around the rear suspension springs, not for the ultracapacitor.
No, they're not. It's an asymmetric hump... With the brake capacitors in there.
No, it's clearly symmetrical.

From: http://www.mag-x.com/images_new/201210/22/20121022_2_5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012102225.jpg

MikeS said:
Long time lurker guys, hope to post more.

I have a G37 and Altima V6 and I use too much gas. I'm happy to see Nissan is constantly improving the Leaf. 24 Months is a pretty short time frame for all these changes.

Since the 6.6K charger was not mentioned here (but sounds planned for the US), I'm hoping we can see other changes too. Maybe a small bump in battery size (say to 28KW) plus with the new efficiency could bring the range up to about 100 miles EPA rated.

I like it and hope to replace one of our cars with it (Altima has about 18 months left in the lease)

Mike,

There is not going to be a different battery in 2013 (unless there is a smaller option, as was previously hinted at for the Japan market).

2015 would be my guess at a DIFFERENT battery chemistry, which is completely different than a bigger one. They will continue to try and lighten and make the battery cheaper, anticipating the day when there is no more $7500 fed tax credit.

Nissan, like virtually ALL the other players, think 100 miles is "it", and since the current 2011-2012 LEAF already goes 200km (124 miles) in Nissan-Think(TM), they've got that covered. Plus, this 2013 goes like 228km now? Holy smokes, you won't even have to charge it; it will just drive forever.

Nissan's marketing questionnaire for the Infiniti version of the LEAF already claims a 24kWh battery and 100 miles. Yeppers, the beat goes on. Same ole, same ole.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Bigboler said:
I think the humps in the cargo area are the casings around the rear suspension springs, not for the ultracapacitor.
No, they're not. It's an asymmetric hump... With the brake capacitors in there.
No, it's clearly symmetrical.

From: http://www.mag-x.com/images_new/201210/22/20121022_2_5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hadn't seen that pic !!! I stand corrected. Thanks.

TonyWilliams said:
...Nissan, like virtually ALL the other players, think 100 miles is "it"...

I think it might have to do with the CARB credit incentive structure. I think 100 mile range gets them the max credits, so there is less reason for them to want to do more. Perhaps when the EPA said 73 mile range, they decided they had to make enough tweaks to get back to a "true" 100 mile range, but not worth it to them to do much more. I think they are trying to keep the battery cost as low as possible while still getting max credits per vehicle.

Also, they want to be able to advertise some quick charge capability (like "under 30 minutes"), but with a bigger pack they would need to also provide higher current charging to still be able to make the claims about how quickly you can recharge the pack.

All excellent points guys. This discussion is great.

Also, you can't change the car too much too fast b/c people feel cheated or hurt. It's the apple product cycle syndrome. If you upgrade a product, the guy that bought your old product last week will feel hurt or burned. If you let the product get stale, everyone will blow past you. Personally, I'd say keep building better and better (which is what they're doing).

Imagine the range jumped from an EPA 73 to 110-120 miles. All the 2011-12 folks would be up in arms.

That's also why they're holding out to the last second on announcing the 2013 US Spec changes. Sales will hit zero for two months if you tell them this great new version is coming out in January. This isn't normally the case with gas cars as their evolution is much slower.

MikeS said:
Also, you can't change the car too much too fast b/c people feel cheated or hurt. It's the apple product cycle syndrome. If you upgrade a product, the guy that bought your old product last week will feel hurt or burned. If you let the product get stale, everyone will blow past you. Personally, I'd say keep building better and better (which is what they're doing).

Imagine the range jumped from an EPA 73 to 110-120 miles. All the 2011-12 folks would be up in arms..
Not really. This type of car is not a sexy, premium "feel good purchase" like an Iphone or something. Rather it looks like a spaceship and it has recycled plastic seats. You buy it for utilitarian or philosophical reasons. As such there is little likelihood of the majority of buyers feeling "burned".

On the other hand this car needs a kick in the...specs if it is to become a mainstream product. If Nissan plans on getting any real momentum, then indeed they need to ramp up the specs - fast. Particularly the range and charging speed. And do something with those front headlamps, which cut out 50-60% of the population from even considering this car at all.

These changes here are fine but far too incremental for my taste. I dont think Nissan can really afford to fiddle around like this.

MikeS said:
Imagine the range jumped from an EPA 73 to 110-120 miles. All the 2011-12 folks would be up in arms.
I would think that a fair number of us would line up at the dealer door to trade in the 12 in on a 2013. I see no problem with that at all.

OpenEVSE: approximately $400 and the time to assemble. Standard version capable of 30Amps.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6546" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stanton said:
Actually, I think they're concerned with PO'd EVSE suppliers complaining that "these Leaf guys keep upgrading their (free) units to 240v instead of buying ours"! I wouldn't be surprised if this new unit can NOT be upgraded (to 240v) in a similar fashion. That ship may have sailed... :cry:

This might be enough to make me upgrade if I can get a good 2 year lease in Jan/Feb.

BTW, Leaf has been out (less than) 2 years, not 3 as someone commented. I expect the next gen battery starting with Infiniti and Leaf in 2014 or 15.

2012102225.jpg

MikeS said:
... Also, you can't change the car too much too fast b/c people feel cheated or hurt. It's the apple product cycle syndrome. If you upgrade a product, the guy that bought your old product last week will feel hurt or burned. If you let the product get stale, everyone will blow past you. Personally, I'd say keep building better and better (which is what they're doing).

Imagine the range jumped from an EPA 73 to 110-120 miles. All the 2011-12 folks would be up in arms. ....

It wouldn't bother me in the least. I knew the capacity going in. Then again, I never could understand people complaining that Apple improved their product, either.

State of the art for EVs is going to change a whole lot faster than for ICEVs.

evnow said:
This might be enough to make me upgrade if I can get a good 2 year lease in Jan/Feb.

BTW, Leaf has been out (less than) 2 years, not 3 as someone commented. I expect the next gen battery starting with Infiniti and Leaf in 2014 or 15.

2012102225.jpg

No single one of these upgrades would be enticing on their own to me, but when you add together:

1. larger trunk
2. leather interior
3. dark metal grey color
4. improved range (albeit slightly)
5. better sound system
6. better heat system
7. 6.6kw charger (probably)
8. wireless charging (probably)
9. real SOC meter
10. larger wheels

The cumulative package is starting to look pretty good. Of course, all those options are going to add up to a pretty expensive car, but if lease deals keep coming out the way they have been, I might have a lower monthly payment than my currently purchased 2011, with all these bells and whistles.

MikeS said:

That's also why they're holding out to the last second on announcing the 2013 US Spec changes. Sales will hit zero for two months if you tell them this great new version is coming out in January. This isn't normally the case with gas cars as their evolution is much slower.

You make very valid points. I know a lot of us are hoping that Nissan planned properly for this. For example, if they designed the battery right, in 5 years all the current owners should be able to upgrade to at least a 30kWh battery. Also, many of these changes are software updates (such as the percent SoC, and even the ability to turn off the heater. These *should* be pushed out to all current owners free of charge IMHO.

Ogi said:
..You buy it for utilitarian or philosophical reasons...
Ha!, Yeah I think that sums up why I bought one.
Being able to drive without paying for gasoline, or polluting the environment with those emissions.

But having some nice modern car features like GPS/NAV/BlutoothHandsFree/backup-cam/MP3playback/KeylessEntry/etc. helps make the decision even easier.

Ogi said:
And do something with those front headlamps, which cut out 50-60% of the population from even considering this car at all.
Yeah, I had to "swallow hard" to get past the headlight appearance.
But then the utilitarian side (they are LEDs, they do cut wind noise) won over...
In fact, they offer the best lighting pattern of any car I have ever owned.

I wonder if there is a cargo organizer in that picture or if the new cargo area really is that much less deep than the old? If the former, it would actually offer less utility for me... Perhaps it is just the POV of the camera but it sure LOOKS less deep...

evnow said:
2012102225.jpg

Back