2013 LEAF specs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbshaun

Several news releases today about the 2013 LEAF, all mentioning improvement in range.

Whereas March 2012 reports stated that was just in cold weather
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/20/nissan-leaf-update-will-add-new-heater-25-miles-of-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today's suggest it's across the board
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/17/2013-nissan-leaf-will-go-25-further-could-cost-a-lot-less/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dailytech.com/Nissan+to+Release+2013+Leaf+EV+with+Longer+Range/article25435.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also: improved heater, leather seats, faster charger, darker interior option

They are all just regurgitating the same "news". I'm not even sure it is news (the range part, and inferred battery improvements).

That's not to say that Nissan won't be saying it a lot !!!!!

Edit: ya, after rereading the original article that started all the others, I would infer that Nissan will have ONE LESS version than the original three planned for 2013; the S, SV, and SL.

The car doesn't go 200km, and won't go 255km in 2013. Smoke and mirrors, folks.

Yes, the "new" part seems to be:

"According to the SankeiBiz, ...the Nissan LEAF’s range will be expanding ...by improving the efficiency of motors and aims to improve the performance of lithium-ion batteries installed,”

When more powerful batteries are available without affecting cost, one question would have to be do they a) turn that into greater available range, or b) use it for a greater buffer as the Volt does, to protect the battery and allow the original "100 mile" range to be possible for much longer (presumably allowing the unused capacity to be introduced over time to make up for deteriorating cells).

If this news is true - and the leaf will be cheaper AND have more range. You can imagine why Nissan would be keeping quiet about the news. It would kill what small sales they have right now with the Leaf because everyone would wait for the new model.

DaveinOlyWA said:
am i the only one who thinks this leak of information is intentional and designed to move attention away from the Phoenix issue?
No, there are at least two of us. I was thinking about this yesterday: generate some excitement by dangling the prospect of greater range and lower cost in front of the masses. What is happening to existing Leafs would become "old news" (but not to those who own them, of course, especially if they are losing capacity rapidly).

Stoaty said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
am i the only one who thinks this leak of information is intentional and designed to move attention away from the Phoenix issue?
No, there are at least two of us. I was thinking about this yesterday: generate some excitement by dangling the prospect of greater range and lower cost in front of the masses. What is happening to existing Leafs would become "old news" (but not to those who own them, of course, especially if they are losing capacity rapidly).

well i predicted Nissan would have a "solution" to the battery issues by mid to late Sept (coinciding with first packs off the new TN line...) that will probably result in free replacements for those under the 12,000 mile/yr limit and a slight fee to those who are over.

I sure hope you are correct! I'm starting to feel slightly optimistic...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Stoaty said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

well i predicted Nissan would have a "solution" to the battery issues by mid to late Sept (coinciding with first packs off the new TN line...) that will probably result in free replacements for those under the 12,000 mile/yr limit and a slight fee to those who are over.

Crazy conspiracy theorists... we all know that people with loads of money don't use events to their advantage.

Oh wait, I guess there's the NDAA that was signed on New Years Eve, which nullifies the Bill of Rights and declares America to be a battleground in which all American citizens can be arrested, imprisoned, tortured and even killed with no due process.

So now Nissan is deliberately floating rumors about a model that won't be available until next year, and thus giving all their competitors a nice heads up, in order to distract attention from an issue that very few outside this forum know or care about?

reminds me of life of brian:
Brian: i'm not the messiah
followers: he is the messiah
brian: i'm not the messiah
followers: only the true messiah would deny his own divinity
brian: ok then i am the messiah
Followers: (even louder) he is the messiah

I don't really read the my Nissan Leaf forum much anymore because it has become so negative and bitter.

I would rather just enjoy my Leaf instead so I do. That being said, I would enjoy a 2013 Leaf from the rumors so far. If the rumors pan out, I might upgrade my 2011 Leaf to a 2013 instead of buying a Tesla S.

Even if true, there is not enough of an improvement there to make me change my mind... And I'm not buying another EV without a TMS.

EVDrive said:
If the rumors pan out, I might upgrade my 2011 Leaf to a 2013 instead of buying a Tesla S.

EVDrive said:
I don't really read the my Nissan Leaf forum much anymore because it has become so negative and bitter.

I would rather just enjoy my Leaf instead so I do. That being said, I would enjoy a 2013 Leaf from the rumors so far. If the rumors pan out, I might upgrade my 2011 Leaf to a 2013 instead of buying a Tesla S.

i look daily but there is increasingly less information apart from the AZ calamity with all its anger.

do the LA hometown buffet meet ups talk almost exclusively about who is the best lawyer to hire to sue Nissan?

TomT said:
Even if true, there is not enough of an improvement there to make me change my mind... And I'm now buying another EV without a TMS.

EVDrive said:
If the rumors pan out, I might upgrade my 2011 Leaf to a 2013 instead of buying a Tesla S.

i wont make a blanket statement especially when an effective TMS might only give me a year or two extra. it really all depends.

thankyouOB said:
do the LA hometown buffet meet ups talk almost exclusively about who is the best lawyer to hire to sue Nissan?

I don't think they even meet up in LA anymore. We just had our San Diego meet, and I don't think it came up much, but then, we don't have the issues that hot environments have.

As to needing a TMS in San Diego, we don't absolutely need it, although there is still a benefit. If you keep the charge between 80% and LBW, and it is never exposed to hot or cold, the battery will have a more "normal" experience that OrientExpress brags about.

adric22 said:
If this news is true - and the leaf will be cheaper AND have more range...

One way for that "AND" to come true would be to have two model variants.
One cheaper than the old AND one with more range than the old.

They have a lot of price sensitive customers that don't need the full range of even the current model.
Also, they have some that would pay extra to get more range...

Back