2013 May Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2138 ; Volt 1607

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
Model S: 1425

That is autodata who put that out. Not sure why that is being held up all of a sudden...probably because an analyst held it up somewhere. I'd wager no homework was really done to come to that conclusion.

Anyway, I'm 99% sure that is way low. Tesla has to push out the bulk of the 4,900 cars they have forecasted to deliver in the first two months because of the Euro-build and ship delays to finalized sales. Also if you track the deliveries they have been pounding the heck out of filling the 40 kWh orders this month (which started right around week 2). Even in a short time window, some June deliveries where pulled back in May.

Statik said:
Anyway, I'm 99% sure that is way low. Tesla has to push out the bulk of the 4,900 cars they have forecasted to deliver in the first two months because of the Euro-build and ship delays to finalized sales.
That brings up a point, though. Since we are typically talking about USA sales, if Tesla is now allocating part of their production for overseas, then won't that bring the USA numbers down?

adric22 said:
Statik said:
Anyway, I'm 99% sure that is way low. Tesla has to push out the bulk of the 4,900 cars they have forecasted to deliver in the first two months because of the Euro-build and ship delays to finalized sales.
That brings up a point, though. Since we are typically talking about USA sales, if Tesla is now allocating part of their production for overseas, then won't that bring the USA numbers down?

Yes indeed. I think we have touched on it from time to time, but it really won't start to get flushed out mainstream until next month or even July in all likelihood-but still not in a big way...as it is not material to earnings other than the slight revision to revenue and sales that Tesla has already guided to in the last quarterly earnings. It only matters to those of us who like to track US sales of a particular model in a vacuum.

With a limited production capacity, a lot of order allocation will be heading to Europe for Q3 and Q4 to fufill commitments there. US sales will decrease quite significantly in 2H overall. However, sales and production will be be up another 25% for Tesla July thru December if plans hold steady. On the plus side for Tesla, margins will be higher on these Euro deliveries in the second half over their US counterparts .

Final Assembly has moved to TN, but parts are still mostly coming from Japan, hence the "85% imported". Eventually the US sourced parts will come on line. Motors still coming from Japan. Unless, someone has a source sticker that shows otherwise, if so, that would be worth disseminating.

SteveInSeattle said:
Final Assembly has moved to TN, but parts are still mostly coming from Japan, hence the "85% imported". Eventually the US sourced parts will come on line. Motors still coming from Japan. Unless, someone has a source sticker that shows otherwise, if so, that would be worth disseminating.
See underlined. That is certainly not what this Nissan video indcates:
2013 Nissan Leaf electric motor to be produced in Decherd, USA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblDhVcwTxw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblDhVcwTxw[/youtube]

It would not be the first time we have been misled by Nissan...

scottf200 said:
See underlined. That is certainly not what this Nissan video indcates:
2013 Nissan Leaf electric motor to be produced in Decherd, USA

Ford reports that sales of the Fusion Energi hit an all-time high of 416 units in May, bringing its YTD total to 1,194 units.

Ford says C-Max Energi sales checked in at 450 units in May, bringing the YTD total for this plug-in to 2,027.

Ford Focus Electric sales remain steady as usual. Ford sold 157 of the electric Foci in May, bringing the YTD mark to 723.

http://insideevs.com/may-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The popularity of Tesla has firmly pulled the bracket of interest from "PHEV or EV" to "Which EV?". Tesla's positive halo effect over EV's is becoming very noticeable in the general public. Last year when being asked about our LEAF, people might bring up the Volt. Now they only bring up Tesla.

TRONZ said:
The popularity of Tesla has firmly pulled the bracket of interest from "PHEV or EV" to "Which EV?". Tesla's positive halo effect over EV's is becoming very noticeable in the general public. Last year when being asked about our LEAF, people might bring up the Volt. Now they only bring up Tesla.
Very good points! We're starting to get asked about the Tesla rather than the Volt when people ask us about the LEAF.

Also, I think two years ago most people didn't really believe that EVs could provide reliable transportation. The LEAF has certainly proven that EVs can provide *extremely* reliable transportation. In my observation, not many LEAFers have been left stranded by the car. Most other EVs have also shown very good reliability.

RegGuheert said:
Also, I think two years ago most people didn't really believe that EVs could provide reliable transportation. The LEAF has certainly proven that EVs can provide *extremely* reliable transportation...

AND with Tesla demonstrating how to flatten your eyeballs under acceleration and go far we have a very nice crossfire on "EV dis-information". Its actually a very nice tag team forming between both ends of the EV market. Someone thinks EV's are slow you point them to Tesla. Someone thinks EV's are expensive you point them to Nissan.

KJD said:
Ford reports that sales of the Fusion Energi hit an all-time high of 416 units in May, bringing its YTD total to 1,194 units.
I'm sort of surprised they aren't selling more of these Energi models. Maybe they just don't have the dealers stocked and trained. The way I see it, they should be an easier sell to somebody than a Leaf or a Focus EV. Somebody comes in looking at a CMax or a Fusion you could show them the top of the line. By the time you add in gas savings and tax credits it should work out to a better long-term deal than some of the other high-end models.

evnow said:
Now we are only missing Rav4 EV ...

...we hunting them down like dogs in the street for being last

84 Rav4 EVs sold

ps) smart ed was also released this month....60 (they have sold 62 technically, but 2 were gen twos in January...account for that how you will, hehe)

ydnas7 said:
did Nissan LEAF YTD 2013 pass the full year 2012 yet?
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEAF
18ji8.jpeg

Volt
18jia.jpeg

Ford C-MAX hybrid (not PHEV Energi)
18jib.jpeg

Back