2013 S (10 days old) won't charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checking the Diode should be a quick test with a VOM
(voltage ohm meter) at the car's J1772 socket with the car Off.

If you are not competent to do this test safely,
do not do it, and ask for help.

Measuring the resistance (ohms) from the Control Pilot to Ground:

1. Normal - around 800 ohms one way and megohms
with the measurement leads reversed.

2. Diode shorted - around 800 ohms both ways. Will only
charge with an EVSE that doesn't make the Diode check, like
the included Panasonic L1, or the AeroVironment L2.

3. Diode open - megohms both ways. Will not charge with
any EVSE.

I have had the same EV error problem on my 2013 SL . I think it is a common problem
I had my 2013 SL in the shop twice and am now waiting for the module to get
to the dealer to change and hope it fix's it as i am not used to the sound of the
loaner motor , I just spoiled by the Electric car. :eek:

francistaft said:
Final update (hopefully):

I picked up the car this morning. I was told the PDM was bad and they replaced it with a new PDM and that all now is working correctly again. The service advisor showed me the new PDM unit, which is the big silver box right in the middle of the motor compartment. I asked how much it would have cost but for the warranty. He said the part alone would cost over $3,000.

Unfortunately, this turned out not to be the final update. I got five weeks good use out of the car this time, but today it has stopped charging again. Same thing as before: it will show that it's charging for a second or two, then stop charging. The yellow EV light is on again. I guess I have another week without the Leaf ahead of me. I have just enough charge to get to the dealer on Monday morning, so hopefully it will not have to be towed. We will see whether the solution is another $3,000 PDM.

*sigh*

I have the same problem on my 2013 SL LEAF and the third time in the
Shop and it been there two week's to get silver box installed
I will see how long
before it has the same problem. :roll:

Can someone PLEASE ask the dealer for a printout of all DTC's present when they take their 2013 LEAF in for this failure to charge problem? I'm also trying to get to the bottom of it.

I might be able to help out with this problem if I can get more information.

If anyone in the Bay Area develops this problem, I'd love a chance to look at your car!

-Phil

ILETRIC said:
Didn't someone say it was loose (untigtened) battery power supply cord bolts?
Are you talking about http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=297496#p297496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? If so, that was a different problem: unexpected, sudden LBWs and loss of power.

I also do recall reading of some '13s w/loose 12 volt battery connections.

Nevertheless...it seems that Leaf manufacturing did not transition well from Japan to TN. There have been way too many quite substantial complaints about 2013s as compared to our 2011-12 models.

ILETRIC said:
Nevertheless...it seems that Leaf manufacturing did not transition well from Japan to TN. There have been way too many quite substantial complaints about 2013s as compared to our 2011-12 models.
Yes, but that was a new line in an existing plant with trained employees. This is a new line in a new plant with new employees. Plus Nissan is economizing the design a bit. I'm not surprised this is causing issues.

The service advisor says the technician spent most of Monday on the phone with Nissan Tech, and then it was determined that a new module needed to be ordered. I asked what module, and specifically if it was the PDM. The service advisor said he really had little clue about Leafs, but understood it was a big part that was a pretty big task to replace. Originally, I was told the part would be in yesterday or tomorrow, but it didn't arrive yesterday and it hasn't arrived today so far. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. If it goes like last time, the car probably will not be ready until Friday -- assuming everything works after the module is replaced.

^^^
That's not a very good sign re: that dealership's service department. :( It's a bit sad when many of us seem to know more about the Leaf than service advisors at dealers.

francistaft said:
Day 4: Part still not in. Service Advisor can't say for sure when part is coming in.

I just took my Leaf in today for the same issue. I was told "one week" before I can get my car back. As this is your second go 'round the Lemon Laws in your state may kick in. Check on it!

As I posted in one other thread:

I just picked up the car after the second repair visit -- this one nine days. The part number of the replaced part is 292C0-3NF3B. The service manager again disclaimed any ability to speak in more than generalities regarding Leafs. However, he said the tech told him it was the same part that was replaced the last time, except that last time a unit identical to the original was installed, whereas this time an upgraded unit was installed. He said he was told there had been an upgrade to "the circuit board or something like that." The tech was out to lunch, but I requested a call from him to try to get more information.

Hopefully, the upgrade is a real improvement and will solve this issue.

It would still be REALLY HELPFUL for someone with this problem to ask their service manager for a list of the stored DTC's when this problem occurs!

-Phil

I did that. But the service manager was clueless and the codes are note listed on the service papers. As stated above, I have asked for a call from the tech, but it hasn't come yet (if it does at all). Sorry if I let you down, but I don't know what more I could have done.

Back