2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Valdemar said:
3.3kWh charger works just fine in 98% cases. Yes, there are occasions when you need it but in all honesty over almost 4 years I had more situations when I felt I overstayed at a public charging spot while charging at 3.3kwh than I needed faster L2 charging.
You mean 3.3 kW (not kWh) charger.

For me, having the 6.x kW OBC rocks. I posted why at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=417393#p417393. I laugh when I plug in a Volt and see it only pulling a lowly ~3.1 kW out of the wall and see how long it takes to pull say 10 kWh vs my car. '11 and '12 Leafs on the same 208 volt EVSEs seem to be able to pull ~3.8 kW.

cwerdna said:
Valdemar said:
3.3kWh charger works just fine in 98% cases. Yes, there are occasions when you need it but in all honesty over almost 4 years I had more situations when I felt I overstayed at a public charging spot while charging at 3.3kwh than I needed faster L2 charging.
You mean 3.3 kW (not kWh) charger...

Oops!

Edit: no doubt 6.x charging is nice to have, the real question is how comfortable are you without it? I can manage just fine.

Valdemar said:
3.3kWh charger works just fine in 98% cases. Yes, there are occasions when you need it but in all honesty over almost 4 years I had more situations when I felt I overstayed at a public charging spot while charging at 3.3kwh than I needed faster L2 charging. While I'd be surprised if the new pack is backwards compatible with older cars it would put whole lot more meaning into an out of pocket pack replacement.
Yeah, many of the scenarios I can think of over the last 4 years where 6.6 kW charging would have been useful, a 30 kWh pack would have eliminated the need to charge all-together.

Hopefully the 30 kWh pack will be able to suck more power when doing a QC so that overall time to QC doesn't change significantly so a LBW-80% charge still only takes 30 minutes but instead of getting 12-15 kWh, you get 20 kWh which really improves usability when you're going on a longer trip.

Edit: That's not to say that I wouldn't opt for a 6.6 kW vs a 3.3 kW on-board-charger if the option were available or do not wish I had 6.6 kW OBC . In fact, despite the limited number of times I may have found it useful, I would rather pay a bit more and even have the ability to charge at 40A or more. 10 kW charging is incredibly useful and the cost of infrastructure is a bargain compared to QCs. In many scenarios where I've used a QC, 10 kW charging also would have sufficed. Of course on the other hand, having any charging facilities at all (even L1) would negate the need for faster charging.

I try to explain to people on our local forum here that one of the most important things about an EV is it's ability to charge as fast as possible.

I have the 6.6 Kw charger and I would not own an EV with less, sure the 3.3 does me 98 % of the time to charge up from Midnight when the cheap rate kicks in until about 7am when I leave for work, or visa versa when I'm working nights 7 pm leave the house.

Check out our charging infrastructure https://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/electric-car-charging/electric-car-charge-point-map.jsp

Use the filter on the top of the map and select standard type 2, they're the AC points all 22 Kw then the blue are the DC chargers and the yellow are hotel/other.

So we got a decent infrastructure and it makes sense to use it to the full !

The 6.6 Kw charger has meant that on many occasions I have been able to get back to the car, unplug and drive off without having to look for a DC charger and then also have to wait for it to charge or quiet possibly have to queue even before I start to charge.

A few weeks ago I plugged into an AC point at 25% and 2 hrs 20 mins later it was 100% charged, so quiet possibly would have got from 25% to 90% in 2 hrs. The last 10% takes longer but I think the 6.6 Kw charger is quiet useful and should be standard and shame on Nissan for making it a 900 Euro/1000 Dollar ? extra !!!

The Renault Zoe with it's on board 2-44 Kw AC charger is quiet fantastic and will charge from those AC points here in 1 hr to 80% or 1.30 mins to 100% from 0%. It would be really good if Leaf II had a 20 Kw AC charger, with all the AC points going up world wide it would be a real shame to ignore AC charging especially as batteries will get much larger.

o00scorpion00o said:
I try to explain to people on our local forum here that one of the most important things about an EV is it's ability to charge as fast as possible. ...
Will be interesting if fast DC chargers for the home are someday practical.

Home DC Quick Chargers, in the 12 to 20kW range, are possible now if the manufacturers think there is a market for them which they can profit from. Unfortunately, given the prices they expect for their simple low amp L2 EVSEs, they will be expensive.

Doubt it, it's far beyond the capabilities of most domestic supplies. 6-7 Kw is fine for most people for their daily needs, the problem will be when a lot of homes already have an ev then this may cause problems. The 3.3 Kw home EVSE suits me for the normal commute and most of the time I wouldn't need more but out and about the 6.6 Kw charger is fantastic. One person reported today on the local forum getting from 24% to 95% in 2 hrs 15 mins, this is not bad at all and I observed getting from 25% - 100% in 2hrs 40 mins but would probably have been the same 2 hrs 15 mins to get to 95% and I think being able to come back from doing your business into a fully charged car or almost really can't be underestimated.

My home limit is about 14 Kw on 250 volts. 2 ev's would be too close to the limit. '
Future homes should have 3 phase that's 400 volts here or just greater current limit on single phase 250 volts. I suspect in the future if people want to charge faster they'll just use public DC chargers as us early adopters do today and they'll get faster and faster and hopefully some day catch up on Tesla's 120 Kw chargers.

I really think EV makers should have a lot more powerful AC chargers, all our AC public charge points here are 22 Kw and it's a shame they can't be used at their full potential, currently only the Renault Zoe can avail of 22 Kw from these charge points with it's 44 Kw AC charger.

91040 said:
Home DC Quick Chargers, in the 12 to 20kW range, are possible now if the manufacturers think there is a market for them which they can profit from. Unfortunately, given the prices they expect for their simple low amp L2 EVSEs, they will be expensive.

I can't see many homes requiring this level of charge, I can only see faster charging being required while out and about.

As my battery has degraded now to 71% capacity, the main thing I wish for, other than a new battery, is that I had the 6.0 kW charger, so I wouldn't have to sit at a charging station for a whole hour just to get home. 3.3 kW is SOOOO slow! :? If I keep the Leaf after I get my new battery pack, the only upgrade I want is an additional 3.3 kW onboard charger.

o00scorpion00o said:
I can't see many homes requiring this level of charge, I can only see faster charging being required while out and about.
Agree completely.

I do wish I had the 6 kW charger when I am charging away from home. But faster charging at home, never mind DCFC, would be of little use since there is plenty of time to charge and I don't have to wait for it.

Faster charging at home is definitely useful. We frequently charge after I get home (like today) to go out in the evening.

o00scorpion00o said:
currently only the Renault Zoe can avail of 22 Kw from these charge points with it's 44 Kw AC charger.

The Smart ED in Germany has a 22kW three phase AC charger as an option. Charges the car to full in less than an hour.

SmartElectric said:
o00scorpion00o said:
currently only the Renault Zoe can avail of 22 Kw from these charge points with it's 44 Kw AC charger.

The Smart ED in Germany has a 22kW three phase AC charger as an option. Charges the car to full in less than an hour.

Yes, and the Tesla can be ordered with twin 10Kw chargers but the Renault Zoe is the only production EV with a 44 KW AC charger.

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's what the new Deep Blue Pearl looks like on the LEAF:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BysPPmAqXG45WEZZczl1RVZ4Rkk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BysPPmAqXG45amZLTWxLd3cydW8/view?usp=sharing

Looked a lot more rich with auto show lighting.

Anyone have any thoughts on weather this will be 30 kWh usable or total? Seems like the rest of the market has moved to reporting usable. Nissan could have chosen to follow suit. That would be pretty sweet. We might have to wait for the EPA numbers, but I'd say, if it's over 110 miles, then it's 30 kWh usable. That would be a about a 43% increase. Not too shabby.

pkulak said:
Anyone have any thoughts on weather this will be 30 kWh usable or total? Seems like the rest of the market has moved to reporting usable.
I think total.

Anyway, what market are you talking about ? Both Leaf & S talk about total.

Compliance cars don't define the market - some of those guys lose 10k per car but don't care as they sell only a hundred a month.

So the 15 LEAF S have the same capacity as the 16. Lease rates are very low in the Bay Area so it is tempting to jump now for my first LEAF. I don't know what will happen between Labor Day sales and the changing of the VPP program, which one dealer is warning in their ad.

EVforRobert said:
So the 15 LEAF S have the same capacity as the 16. Lease rates are very low in the Bay Area so it is tempting to jump now for my first LEAF. I don't know what will happen between Labor Day sales and the changing of the VPP program, which one dealer is warning in their ad.

There are great buy deals until 8/31, not so much for lease. People are getting $10,000 off MSRP on a purchase with 72 month 0% APR financing on a good credit, combined with state/federal rebates it is $20,000 off. I think it is the best we've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back