2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
desiv said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I wouldn't pay $500 to keep carwings - would you?
Not sure, but maybe...

Since you brought it up, I think something < $300 would be a "buy" price, which would include modem upgrade plus installation. In fact, since the telematics unit was designed with the ability to upgrade (why can't people give Nissan more credit for what they do?) and LTE modems have come way down in price, I could even envision it being much less than that.

Personally, I find the CarWings function useful enough that I would pay for it; just can't say how much at this point.

When GM was faced with the same thing with OnStar some years ago when cellular companies shut down analog, they offered a deal for $200 that included swapping out the unit and a year's service..

Stanton said:
Since you brought it up, I think something < $300 would be a "buy" price, which would include modem upgrade plus installation.

Stanton said:
desiv said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I wouldn't pay $500 to keep carwings - would you?
Not sure, but maybe...

Since you brought it up, I think something < $300 would be a "buy" price, which would include modem upgrade plus installation. In fact, since the telematics unit was designed with the ability to upgrade (why can't people give Nissan more credit for what they do?) and LTE modems have come way down in price, I could even envision it being much less than that.

Personally, I find the CarWings function useful enough that I would pay for it; just can't say how much at this point.

FWIW, my original statement included a conditional. I don't know whether Nissan designed the unit to be upgradeable or not. At this point, I am not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Therefore, it remains a big "if" in my mind. My point was that the price could easily get to $500, in which case I wouldn't buy it. If the price was lower, around $200, I might. That's similar to an after-market remote start in an ICEV, which is about all I get out of Carwings.

T-Mobile has no plans to discontinue 2G/EDGE service. They are in the process of doing 2G only -> LTE/2G conversions on legacy sites (along with improved backhaul for data). Indeed, I believe T-Mobile is attempting to gather some of the M2M market that doesn't want to upgrade hardware.

EVDRIVER said:
Amazing how OT threads go here....

Well, after 27 pages of people responding to one anothers' comments, what do you expect?

Besides, is this really off topic? It's directly related to the 2016 Leaf, and theories about what hardware it will have.

Arlington said:
The great media echo chamber has repeated the 30kWh story today. Is there any "real" indication that it is a surer thing now than it was in late may when this thread started?

I have to wonder, if I were Nissan and I knew that this rumor was false, how would I react? To date, they have been noticeably silent on the issue. Does that imply there is some truth to it? If there weren't, would they be trying to correct this error? Or is that reading too much into it?

If the rumor does turn out to be false, and the 2016 Leaf appears with a 24kWh battery on all trims, then Nissan's sales will fall even more. The only thing that could really save them is another big price cut. Or they could just accept the drop in sales and stay focused on the second gen where things really get interesting.

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard somewhere that some (anonymous) dealers have said that they are seeing this info in their ordering systems now.

GetOffYourGas said:
...I have to wonder, if I were Nissan and I knew that this rumor was false, how would I react? To date, they have been noticeably silent on the issue...
Not exactly:

At yesterday’s shareholder conference in Yokohama, Nissan said it is already testing an electric vehicle that will provide the same range as today’s gasoline-driven cars. In front of a blue Nissan Leaf acting as a test mule for the new technology, Nissan’s CEO Carlos Ghosn said that “in the near future,” Nissan will offer EV mobility “comparative to today’s conventional vehicles.” According to Ghosn, Nissan is testing “new materials and chemistry solutions in order to make thinner, lighter weight and less costly batteries.”

Nissan’s technology-chief Hideyuki Sakamoto later confirmed that the blue Leaf comes with “a driving range equivalent to that of an ICE. The charging time also will be much shorter.”

...For those who can’t wait, Ghosn added more weight to yesterday’s rumors of a 2016 Nissan Leaf with a larger 30kwh battery. “Later this year,” said Ghosn, “you will hear more about our initial steps to increase EV range.”
http://dailykanban.com/2015/06/carlos-ghosn-promises-nissan-shareholders-ev-with-better-than-ice-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the much bigger news looks to still be a few years away.

edatoakrun said:
http://dailykanban.com/2015/06/carlos-ghosn-promises-nissan-shareholders-ev-with-better-than-ice-range/
On one hand, I'd be kind of interested to see the shareholder video. On the other, I know just how easy it is to program the GOM to read out whatever Nissan wants it to. (In other words, it could've been done with a current LEAF with a modified program and slightly tweaked dash.)

GetOffYourGas said:
Arlington said:
The great media echo chamber has repeated the 30kWh story today. Is there any "real" indication that it is a surer thing now than it was in late may when this thread started?

I have to wonder, if I were Nissan and I knew that this rumor was false, how would I react? To date, they have been noticeably silent on the issue. Does that imply there is some truth to it? If there weren't, would they be trying to correct this error? Or is that reading too much into it?

If the rumor does turn out to be false, and the 2016 Leaf appears with a 24kWh battery on all trims, then Nissan's sales will fall even more. The only thing that could really save them is another big price cut. Or they could just accept the drop in sales and stay focused on the second gen where things really get interesting.

My guess is that no matter how accurate or inaccurate the published stories are, Nissan's position would be to say nothing. That way they're not establishing a precedent about commenting on products before they're announced.

But my guess is that what we've heard so far -- S soldiers on with the 24 kWh pack, and the SV and SL get bumped to 30 kWh -- is right. Yes, that's less range than I would like to see, but given the limitations of working within the current designs for the last model year, in effect, before the Leaf II appears, I don't thihnk we could reasonably expect anything more.

The most interesting reveal, in my opinion, will be the pricing. I predict that Nissan will do something to increase the price spread between the S and the SV/SL, and that will happen via a price drop on the S of $3k to $5k. (Their long-running NMAC deal effectively drops the price of all Leafs by $3.5K already, so this isn't much of a stretch.)

edatoakrun said:
GetOffYourGas said:
...I have to wonder, if I were Nissan and I knew that this rumor was false, how would I react? To date, they have been noticeably silent on the issue...
Not exactly:

At yesterday’s shareholder conference in Yokohama, Nissan said it is already testing an electric vehicle that will provide the same range as today’s gasoline-driven cars. In front of a blue Nissan Leaf acting as a test mule for the new technology, Nissan’s CEO Carlos Ghosn said that “in the near future,” Nissan will offer EV mobility “comparative to today’s conventional vehicles.” According to Ghosn, Nissan is testing “new materials and chemistry solutions in order to make thinner, lighter weight and less costly batteries.”

Nissan’s technology-chief Hideyuki Sakamoto later confirmed that the blue Leaf comes with “a driving range equivalent to that of an ICE. The charging time also will be much shorter.”

...For those who can’t wait, Ghosn added more weight to yesterday’s rumors of a 2016 Nissan Leaf with a larger 30kwh battery. “Later this year,” said Ghosn, “you will hear more about our initial steps to increase EV range.”
http://dailykanban.com/2015/06/carlos-ghosn-promises-nissan-shareholders-ev-with-better-than-ice-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

edatoakrun said:
... Nissan’s CEO Carlos Ghosn said that “in the near future,” ....

I don't think near future means a few years away. That to me sounds like MY17 coming sometime late I 2016 or early 2017.

I wonder could Nissan have installed at least 35 kwh ? or is it a case where that's all they can squeeze into the existing chassis without major modification ?

o00scorpion00o said:
I wonder could Nissan have installed at least 35 kwh ? or is it a case where that's all they can squeeze into the existing chassis without major modification ?

I think they're facing three major constraints:

1. What fits in the existing cars. (Any redesign this close to the Leaf II is out of the question.)

2. What do they want to keep producing after the Leaf II comes out. Like a car redesign, it makes no sense to make a new pack for a limited run. (I'm guessing that the 30 kWh pack winds up in the Leaf II S, and the Leaf II SV and SL get something bigger. This will create a permanent range split with the S being the entry level model.)

3. What can they afford to put in the 2016 SV+SL given whatever price plans they have for those trim levels.

Managing this transition to better, significantly cheaper batteries is a non-trivial problem for any car company, especially one with an established base of sold cars. Perhaps this explains why Honda and Toyota have been dragging their feet? Honda just announced an EV is coming, at last, and Toyota is still supposedly dreaming of a hydrogen future.

If the 2016 Nissan LEAF uses the 2015's lizard batteries and is the cheapest Nissan LEAF, then its safe to assume, that per kWh, the lizard batteries are cheaper per kWh than the newer battery.

GetOffYourGas said:
edatoakrun said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Not exactly:

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

This is the actual conference and I see no mention of faster charging ? or could it be that on the website they left out some of the talk ?

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCUMENT/HTML/FINANCIAL/SPEECH/2015/fs_speech20150623.html

Technology

All forthcoming products will reflect Nissan’s commitment to delivering breakthroughs that advance vehicle safety, efficiency, and connectivity.

During our discussion later in this meeting, we will update you on Nissan’s plans to introduce an autonomous drive vehicle by 2020. We are continuing to develop this exciting technology.

The vehicle that stands to my left features the latest versions of hardware and software that Nissan is developing.

The vehicle that stands to my right is another advanced technology breakthrough. It explores how far we can extend electric vehicle range by making changes to the battery.

Today there are only two reliable ways to increase electric vehicle range.

The first is to have a massive network of EV chargers, so that when you are away from home you have the ability to recharge easily.
The other option is to put a larger battery pack into the vehicle so that the driver enjoys greater range. However, with today’s level of technology, adding more battery means adding more cost.

As you know, Nissan has been one of the world’s foremost advocates for the development of recharging networks. With our efforts and the support of government and private sector partners, Japan has one of the most highly developed charging infrastructures in the world.

There are now more than 14,000 EV chargers, not including home chargers, in Japan. This means that EV drives already have the freedom to drive throughout mainland Japan without worrying about battery range.

Unlike customers in some other markets, where the charging networks are in earlier stages, customers in Japan who want to enjoy the benefits of driving a LEAF have no need to wait. Japan’s vast EV charging network already provides an incentive for you to move to Nissan’s zero-emission technology. And, during FY2015, the number of chargers in Japan will increase even further.
However, that doesn’t mean we will become complacent and stop working to advance our battery and vehicle technologies.

We believe that, in the near future, Nissan can provide EV drivers with even greater “peace of mind” range, by offering comparative mobility to today’s conventional vehicles.

Nissan is exploring new materials and chemistry solutions in order to make thinner, lighter weight and less costly batteries. We foresee the day when you leave your home with a full charge, and are able to go about your day with no concerns…then return home with ample charge.

End Quote.

Arlington said:

how about this for "sure thing"

a Nissan Dealer posted a screen shot of the ordering page for his dealership and the 30 kwh is most definitely an option. for more info, go to the Seattle LEAF owners page on Facebook if you want to see the same screen shot

evnow said:
edatoakrun said:
... Nissan’s CEO Carlos Ghosn said that “in the near future,” ....

I don't think near future means a few years away. That to me sounds like MY17 coming sometime late I 2016 or early 2017.

i am predicting Sept/Oct 2016

the other thing I am predicting is this "all EV" range will not be exactly what you are expecting. the distance will be there (and more!) but how it does it will be COMPLETELY new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back