2019 40kWh Leaf First Impressions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning all,
I've been looking for a word to describe the 2019. Refined is what seems to stick.
My last was a 2016 SV. Put 35k on it in 3 years. Most of the was a 64 mile round trip commute year round in all weather in Vermont. I was responsible for the snow plowing at the farm I worked at so it was early morning drives.
I rigged up 240v charging at work so the trip fairly easy on my range. I had my EVSE upgraded by EVSE Upgrades I could use either voltage.
Very reliable car, Hx was 85% when I turned it in.

The 2019 SV is a very solid car. Mine has the tech package, cold weather package. That means lost of bells and whistles. E-Pedal is really well done. Very smooth operation. If you like a standard transmission car you will take to this quickly. When coming to a complete stop the transition to friction brakes is seamless.
I can now make that 64 mile trip on a single charge with range to spare. This is with heat and interstate speeds in 20º weather.
They timers are much more thought out too. There is a gauge on the drivers display that will give times to various battery percentages so you can set you timers up according to your desired end percentage. You can choose which charging type as well. I use L1 and try to keep the battery between 30-75% for my local driving.
They changed the dashboard a bit and I like the view better. Seating seems higher and the dash is lower. The rearview mirror is still in the way a bit though. Hard with such a small car.
The driver aids work well for the most part. Adaptive Cruise is nice. Steering assist is interesting. Worked well until it doesn't. It might be the low contrast roads we have here due to the salt from winter but it can't quite figure out the center lane. Considering what it is it's useful. If you place away for a second you will stay in lane and be warned if you don't.
I've only had the car a couple of weeks so I can't report on long trips with QC but I plan to take some when the weather gets better.
All in all I like the changes.

Greg

Mine just past the 4 week mark, covering 2100 miles over that time. The 40KWh battery seems sized just about right for my needs and falling into a pattern of being unconcerned about range, simply L2 charge overnight and drive it. My typical daily use consumes roughly 2/3 of the battery capacity. Now using both the charge timer and climate control timer to not charge to 100% overnight. I set the charge timer to complete 3 hours past my departure time, which has the car ready with a little over 80%. Also set the departure timer for true departure time to pre-warm the cabin. Then, able to finish the day at roughly 20%. If expecting a longer usage day, change the timers to go to 100%. It's a lot of unwanted fiddling round with the timers but it works. Have also used DCFC a couple of times to test the NCTC account access, both times over 40KW charging rate. Unlike 5 years ago with my last LEAF, there are several DCFC's in good locations around my usage territory.

As for the attributes of the car, adaptive cruise control, ride comfort, and being dead quiet are appreciated the most.

rogersleaf said:
Mine just past the 4 week mark, covering 2100 miles over that time. The 40KWh battery seems sized just about right for my needs and falling into a pattern of being unconcerned about range, simply L2 charge overnight and drive it. My typical daily use consumes roughly 2/3 of the battery capacity. Now using both the charge timer and climate control timer to not charge to 100% overnight. I set the charge timer to complete 3 hours past my departure time, which has the car ready with a little over 80%. Also set the departure timer for true departure time to pre-warm the cabin. Then, able to finish the day at roughly 20%. If expecting a longer usage day, change the timers to go to 100%. It's a lot of unwanted fiddling round with the timers but it works. Have also used DCFC a couple of times to test the NCTC account access, both times over 40KW charging rate. Unlike 5 years ago with my last LEAF, there are several DCFC's in good locations around my usage territory.

As for the attributes of the car, adaptive cruise control, ride comfort, and being dead quiet are appreciated the most.

manipulating timers is an extra step you will be glad you took down the road. It was a hassle for me... the first 2 times I used them but after that, its a 15 second detour from my day. FYI; still blows gas station visits out of the water... :cool:

I have the 2018 SL, 150 mile range.
It is enough to get to my appts, etc, but forget about a long trip or if I forget to charge when low.
Can't understand why someone would not buy the 60kwh battery for peace of mind.

Baltneu said:
It is enough to get to my appts, etc, but forget about a long trip or if I forget to charge when low.
Very simple... don’t want the added weight, additional power draw to move the extra weight and added cost for expensive battery capacity. Especially if the additional range is meaningless for the expected life of this car. Personally accepted that this technology has not yet evolved enough to be practical for extended road trips and don’t try to force that fact. Last I checked, can put 400 miles range on my Ridgeline in less than 5 minutes, and be back on the road. At the cost of public DC fast charging, likely cheaper to drive the Ridgeline than the Leaf on a road trip anyway.

rogersleaf said:
Baltneu said:
Very simple... don’t want the added weight, additional power draw to move the extra weight and added cost for expensive battery capacity. Especially if the additional range is meaningless for the expected life of this car. Personally accepted that this technology has not yet evolved enough to be practical for extended road trips and don’t try to force that fact. Last I checked, can put 400 miles range on my Ridgeline in less than 5 minutes, and be back on the road. At the cost of public DC fast charging, likely cheaper to drive the Ridgeline than the Leaf on a road trip anyway.

It's that simple for me too!

Morning,
If you think of the leaf as a slower car it can do longish trips quite well. Yes you still have to stop to charge and wait for that. No it isn't as simple as an ICE vehicle yet nor will it ever approach that kind of range.
I've done a couple of tests with my 2019. On an interstate at the speed limit it isn't very efficient. If you drop to 55 it gets a lot better. If you can stand that snails pace then you can cover a lot of ground. If you take local roads it gets way better.

Took a local trip around Vermont with temps in the 60sF. started with 95% ended after 95 miles with 47%. Vermont is hilly. GOM said 87 miles left. LeafSpy Pro said 70 miles to LBW. That is decent range. Caparison. Last weekend I needed to take a quick trip to Burlington. 70 miles RT. It was in the low 40s and heavy rain. I went 70mph. Started with 87% and ended with 20%. Thats about 10% difference in battery consumption covering less miles.

The car isn't made for that kind of driving it seems. Not if you want to go very far. It was fine for what I needed and i was able to make the trip in the time i wanted. You can't drive like that and expect to go long distance, like you can in an ICE car.
Tesla's can but the cost is quite a bit different than the Leaf. The Bolt can do it once but then you have a long charge session waiting for you.
So agreed the tech hasn't been implemented at scale yet. It's there. Tesla has proved that but to make it main stream all EVs have to implement it.

This 2019 is way better than my 2016 30Kw. It works for all of my regular driving needs. I will take a few trips with it just for the adventure. Mine is a lease car to so I have to watch the milage. Lots of long trips get expensive at the end.
I lease because I believe the tech will evolve enough in 3 years that the available cars will be exponentially better. That has proved out with the 2016/2019. They are not perfect yet. If they don't fit your needs then I guess choose something that does. It is sad that one auto maker can make it happen for a price but others can't seem too. Time will tell.

Greg

Haven't found a section in the 40 kWh Leaf manuals that discusses the unlabeled SOH (assumed as such) graphic.
Is it discussed in any of the manuals?

lorenfb said:
Haven't found a section in the 40 kWh Leaf manuals that discusses the unlabeled SOH (assumed as such) graphic.

I don't understand what you mean. The battery capacity bar screen...?

LeftieBiker said:
lorenfb said:

I don't understand what you mean. The battery capacity bar screen...?

It's not a bar graphic. It's a horizontal indicator (un-labled) , ruler like/vertical marks, that's on the same menu selection with
the battery temp graphic (horizontal bar graph) and just has a few marks (no actual temp values). I've assumed that this horizontal
indicator represents SOH as it's labelled "Battery Capacity", with zero on the left and one on the right. Have I assumed incorrectly?
Haven't found a SOH indicator like on the Leaf1 other than this. Maybe I need to take a picture and post it?

There are two of those. One is battery temp, and the other is capacity. The Temp "gauge" is a bar graphic that is still 12 segments like the old temp "gauge" but the segments aren't delineated - the bar just moves in 12ths of its length. The other one is the capacity "gauge" and I assume it is also in 12 non-delineated segments. When someone with a 40kwh Leaf loses a "bar" we will know for sure.

LeftieBiker said:
There are two of those. One is battery temp, and the other is capacity. The Temp "gauge" is a bar graphic that is still 12 segments like the old temp "gauge" but the segments aren't delineated - the bar just moves in 12ths of its length. The other one is the capacity "gauge" and I assume it is also in 12 non-delineated segments. When someone with a 40kwh Leaf loses a "bar" we will know for sure.

My temp gauge is not segmented, i.e. it just has a mid point (80 F verified by LeafSpy) and a blue area to the far left
and two red marks to the right. So the one I'm referencing (I call SOH) could well be basically the Leaf1 bars.
It's interesting that it's not labelled more indicatively than just "Battery Capacity".

By "not delineated" I mean "not segmented." Same thing. It still moves the same way - in 12th increments. I didn't realize it either until it was pointed out to me last year.

LeftieBiker said:
By "not delineated" I mean "not segmented." Same thing. It still moves the same way - in 12th increments. I didn't realize it either until it was pointed out to me last year.

Hopefully, it'll remain somewhat of mystery for a very long time for all with a Leaf2. Just wishing!

Back