36000 club - out warranty club...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UkrainianKozak

Last month I hit 36000, anyone is interested in sharing experience so far for Leaf veterans?
For me it was relatively good ride, not ideal though...
Never ran out of charge, but was upset few time with not fast enough charge time that prevented me from using Leaf 100% on some days
Battery state: still have 12 bars AHr=56.66(86.2%) according to LeafSpy (after 55QC and 2380 L1/L2 charges),
Warranty work:
Replaced charger after it started producing electrical smell while charging
Tightened/greased front axles to fix cranking during acceleration/deceleration
Brake spacers installed (as initial remedy to cranking sound, which did not fix it)
Software updates
Non-warranty work:
Replaced tires with Michelin MXV4 at 20K after Ecopia become almost bold
Replaced fog lights with after-market after one was broken
Replaced all small lamps with LED
replaced stock horn with the one from Altima
installed driver seat heater

Most annoying stuff so far: Last software update that significantly reduced cold weather regen, when you most need it... Just don't get why...
(well, actually Carwings was most annoying, but with Leaf Spy and Leaf Manager I forgot when was the last time I used it :) )

What future hold for me?
I'm at the point right now when 80% charge is becoming not enough for my daily ~50 miles commutes, and I end up topping the charge every other day to satisfy the driving need for end-of-the day trips (kids activities). My guess is that in 1-2 years I'll have to switch to 100% charging

I'm at 37000 miles myself. I live in the bay area so it never gets too hot. I stopped charging @ 80% after a few months and a few thousand miles. 80% charges were too stressful then and now I couldn't go anywhere with my 60 mile range at 100% if I only charged to 80%. I still have 12 bars so I wonder if it makes much of a difference in mild climates to avoid 100% charges. I don't think so. I never leave my car sitting for more than a day with a 100% charge as I think that and hot weather degrade the battery.

Rotated tires twice (myself) and replaced at 41,000. Replaced cabin filter at 2nd battery check.
Nothing else. Currently just over 42,000 miles. Hoping 3rd bar will drop before 45,000 to stay in the running for a new battery under warranty.

UkrainianKozak said:
I'm at the point right now when 80% charge is becoming not enough for my daily ~50 miles commutes, and I end up topping the charge every other day to satisfy the driving need for end-of-the day trips (kids activities). My guess is that in 1-2 years I'll have to switch to 100% charging
My guess is that charging to 80% is doing more harm than good in your application. Charging to 100% is not bad in itself, but I believe repeatedly discharging below 15% may be. With a 50-mile RT commute and full charge (94%), your car will sit at 60-or-so percent SOC while at work, and should return home at about 35% SOC which is ideal for storage.

35 months, 26K miles. Picked up the car January 15, 2011. Had to resort to 100% charging about one year ago. Range didn't really get tight until this month, with extra cold weather and new Primacy MXM4s. Learned that I need to manually control preheat and charging to start the day with a warm, fully-charged car. Timers just won't do it.

Wondering about cost of third annual battery usage report, and whether Nissan will turn off my CarWings subscription. Haven't heard a word from Nissan about what new subscription might cost. Not going to pay. Wouldn't get the battery usage report if it wasn't required for battery warranty. Hope to qualify for new battery this summer. If not, car will be parked or given away next winter.

Changed seat covers, cabin air filter (what a lousy design!), converted fog lights to LED, replaced tires at 25K miles. Bought SOC meter, now using Turbo3's app instead.

Overall, driving the Leaf has been a lot of fun. Too bad the battery didn't hold up to desert heat.

-Karl

Updated my signature (below) with the current mileage.

@ ~5 K miles. Replaced onboard charger under warranty. (diode failed, would charge at 120 but not 240. For a $0.50 part, Nissan went ahead and swapped out the $3,000 charger)
@ ~31 K miles, one of the rear tires blew out. They were likely under-inflated for a long time. i have since then over-inflated all 4 tires (41 psi vs 36 psi on the door jamb) to get slightly better range.

Hit turtle just once and LBW ~10 times. No love for the QC port.

Navi day/night button (lower left) has failed. Auto mode on the Navi still works.

Trying to keep the car and save ~$4 K /yr on gas and maint. Likely the only car that will pay for itself as time goes by. Current range is 60 miles (hilly, mixed local/hwy driving).

I'm at 38k after 26 months. No warranty work done whatsoever.

I replaced the crappy front windshield wipers, and am about to replace the tires. I've replaced interior lights with LEDs, and replaced the stock horn. Very little has gone wrong.

I've lost my first bar. I no longer charge to 80%, it is just too much of a strain for my 70 mile round trip commute for the times that I can't trickle charge at the office.

I changed the horn for a more robust one. I got three color Wet Okole heated seat covers for the car. Rubber floor mats were installed. I replaced the Ecrapias with Michelin Primacy MXV4s. I had the brake fluid changed at 30,000 miles ($120) I replaced a broken fog light. I switched the license plate light for LEDs. I changed the air cabin filter ($15). This is a very low maintenance car. I had a shopping cart hit my front fender at ballistic speeds and that one cost $1200, sure glad I have insurance. I run turbo3 app. I run studded General Artic Artimax tires in the winter for extra range reduction :) I had passenger window checked, it rolled up way too slow. I have had the software upgrades and the touchy brake update.

Just about ready to drop out of the first part of the warranty, but that's owing to age (35 months) instead of mileage (25K). During our three years of ownership, we've only been in to see the dealer twice, both for the annual battery check + firmware updates. The tires have been rotated a couple of times as well, but otherwise, that's it. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Oh, wait; I did patch one tire following the discovery of a nail in the middle of the tread, but that's it. Original washer fluid. Original brakes. Original tires (lots of tread left despite my frequent mini-burn-outs from stoplights). Overall, I've been incredibly happy with the reliability, comfort, and capabilities of the car. Sure I could wish that it had longer range, but we have other vehicles for that. Sure I wish I had the slate metallic color with dark interior, but you know, the light-colored interior has held up surprisingly well. Sure I could wish that I was able to run the heater full blast all the time during the winter on longer drives, but you know, a lap blanket and weather-appropriate clothing does wonders.

Based on what everyone else with higher mileage has been reporting, I'm thinking that I'm pretty satisfied with not having picked up the extended warranty on this car; I think it will continue to be just as reliable for a good many more years yet to come. If I'm able to retire in another 17 years like I have planned, it even looks like I'll still have just enough battery life to make it round trip to and from work (requires 50% of original capacity) so I'd consider this car a great buy.

Leased car, 3/2011 for 4 years. (Wish I had done it for 3, since on board charger in 2013 is 6.6 kW, instead of my 3.3)
Current mileage: 41,600. Lost one bar capacity at 37,300.

Maintenance done by myself:

Rotated tires every 5,000-7,500 miles, 3 cabin filters, replaced tires w/Ecopias on sale at Costco in early December at 40,000 miles(still had about another 3,000 before the wear bars), seat covers, Costco rubber mats, horn upgraded to Fiamm "El Grandes" (w/o any wiring, horn relay or fuse upgrades needed), bought a used full sized spare and tire off MNL forum for $100 to keep at home(used it twice), 4 plugged holes on original tires due to nails/screws, original wipers still work like new(rubber dressing applied every hand car wash), silicon spray on CV boots and suspension rubber parts every 3,000 miles.

I am pleased that the LEAF has been a very low maintenance car. It is our daily driver.

Have a 2014 Volt now for long trips. The Volt has a much more sporty ride and drive experience than the LEAF. But it's weird to have to get gasoline :shock:

Is anyone over three years in paying for Carwings-how much?

If not, has it been disabled?

Anyone priced an extended warranty lately? Any updates on current dealer pricing?

BTW, I got this from my the dealer I originally leased from, a few days ago:

...Year End Pricing
We will be raising all Security+Plus plan pricing effective January 2014.
We just wanted to reach out and let everyone know that there are only a few days left to purchase Security+Plus plans under our current 2013 pricing. Effective January 2nd, 2014 all pricing will rise by roughly 5%.

If you've been thinking about purchasing a Security+Plus plan for your Nissan now is the time...

edatoakrun said:
Is anyone over three years in paying for Carwings-how much?

If not, has it been disabled?

Anyone priced an extended warranty lately? Any updates on current dealer pricing?

BTW, I got this from my the dealer I originally leased from, a few days ago:
I had an opportunity to talk to some Nissan Corp guys recently and the subject of Carwings came up.

We talked about how Nissan is still very interested in collecting driver data, how Carwings service is essential to that, how Nissan does not currently have any systems in place to bill for the Carwings service, how Nissan might be persuaded continue Carwings at no charge in return for continued driver data, and how some users of third party apps have generated notably higher cell data usage fees.

The one thing I walked away with is that they are undecided what path they will take. I fully expect Carwings access to continue as-is for a while (until the cell data fees prompt a change?)

37,000+ miles now. Still have 12 bars. 5 stars on last battery check at ~30k. Normally charge to 80%, always plugged in when at home. I charge to 100% about twice a week and have not turtled yet but I do get to the VLB warning about once or twice a month. Maybe about 50 Quick Charge events so far.

No problems to report. Aside from replacing the wiper blades several times now, I've needed no work on the car (I should really replace the cabin filter though). I've rotated through several sets of wheels and tires, I've put about 12k on my original Ecopias and put them on occasionally in the warmer months when I'm between sets of wheels. Currently on Michellin X-ice winter tires. The car still runs well, still feels sturdy and tight and doesn't seem to be showing any unexpected wear from what I can tell. Mechanically, working very well. Last time I checked, the car was still ugly. ;)

Back