71 mile round trip to new work location ... will I make it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is 74.5 miles, mostly freeway. I do fine. Now that I am comfortable I can do it in drive without being too worried. No traffic today (although traffic does improve my economy), but I am down 4 bars with an economy around 4.5 miles per kwh. I could average almost 5, avoiding a few high speed routes, but I choose not to.

I roll in with 2-3 bars coming home. I have never seen a low battery light or turtle mode since I got my car end of may.

My first commute was 80 miles, rolling up on 2 bars.

A/C doesn't really make much of a hit for me in western Washington (usually it's to keep slightly cold air blowing when the sun beats down through the windows during the afternoon commute), as its set within 1-3F of outside air temp. Theres an initial burst of about 1 kW, but it levels out to almost the same power as the headlights or wipers. turning the heat on does substantially use more power. While I am sure I can 'make it', I usually have chickened out and went to lunch near some level 2 (near by).

I have also borrowed the level 1 twice, although I still haven't tracked down the right person to authorize this yet.

I'd suggest you will be just fine, but secure some level 1 where you will park for those just in case situations, or perhaps find some level 2 on your route at a place you wouldn't mind killing a little bit of time for those off days.

rainnw said:
Mine is 74.5 miles, mostly freeway.
What kind of speeds does that include? Would be nice to put a quick summary of your commute and how many bars you normally end up with and estimated range when you get home in your sig.

My commute is 78 miles. I have taken the car the last week and driven at different speeds. Got back with 12-15 miles everyday. I was in eco mode all along.

Im in the bay area so speed varies from 20mph to 65 at times. I have some hilly terrain both ways- about 1000 feet loss and gain each way. So far when i drove at 60 in cruise control, i didnt have any issues getting back. No climate control for me.

On Friday i got adventurous and also- because of light traffic, people were creeping up my rear on carpool lane too. (the other lanes were faster)- i drove some parts at 65. My estimate went down a bit- down 5 miles more than the estimate when i reach work on other days. I decided not to take a chance and charged up on my way back.

My office is yet to get an L2 charger. But i would say the leaf can easily handle 78 miles. Traffic makes my range increase. I dont mind those metering lights anymore. I used to hate them when i was driving an ICE

drees said:
rainnw said:
Mine is 74.5 miles, mostly freeway.
What kind of speeds does that include? Would be nice to put a quick summary of your commute and how many bars you normally end up with and estimated range when you get home in your sig.

Good idea.

I typically roll up to work with 7 bars (8 if i luck out), and have about 29 miles of actual freeway driving. Speeds can range from 0-65, quite a few hills. Yesterday, for example, i was around 4.5 miles/kWh according to the energy display.

Go to this site http://nwrs.net/leaf/ and click submit to show most of my commute. The calculator is probably within a kWh or two. I wrote this before I got a LEAF, so perhaps I might make it more usable now that I have some experience!

Today I went 44 miles according to Google Maps (I think the estimate is a little low). Most all freeway and half was faster than I normally drive (had to make an appointment) but not anything like 70+ MPH. At the end of those 44 miles I had four bars left, two white and two red. The range number said 32 miles.

Personally the Leaf would not work for me with a 71 mile commute. At best too much anxiety so my recommendation would be to figure out how to charge at work or forget it. YMMV.

The other thing I've noticed is that other drivers think the Leaf is the doormat of cars. I had three different people today try to zoom up the left side and cut in front of me when getting on and off the freeway. One I could understand but three? For a long time I thought it was happenstance but I'm concluding it's a vibe.

How fast were you going at the time? I've not had it happen to me yet but I tend to drive at the speed limit which is faster than some...

SanDust said:
The other thing I've noticed is that other drivers think the Leaf is the doormat of cars. I had three different people today try to zoom up the left side and cut in front of me when getting on and off the freeway. One I could understand but three? For a long time I thought it was happenstance but I'm concluding it's a vibe.

SanDust said:
Today I went 44 miles according to Google Maps (I think the estimate is a little low). Most all freeway and half was faster than I normally drive (had to make an appointment) but not anything like 70+ MPH. At the end of those 44 miles I had four bars left, two white and two red. The range number said 32 miles.

I'm curious why you would use Google Maps to estimate how for you went when there is an odometer that can tell you EXACTLY how far you went?

In Seattle, if you go even 5+ mph over the speed limit of our posted 60, you are flirting with a speeding ticket. 10 or higher will even pique the interest of the much more mundane state patrol. That, combined with the fact that its rarely necessary to even run any sort of heating or air conditioning at any time, probably results in our good regional energy economy :D

I did pull in with 5.0 miles/kWh with open freeways around 65 on my drive into work yesterday. Always nice to see.

rainnw said:
I did pull in with 5.0 miles/kWh with open freeways around 65 on my drive into work yesterday. Always nice to see.
That's 65 mph? How many bars did you start/end with and what was your guess-o-meter reading?

5.0 m/kWh is impressive at those speeds.

TonyWilliams said:
evnow said:
rainnw said:
Elevation loss ?

Exactly !!!

Or tailwind, etc. There's no magic. Try the round trip to work at 65mph.

Quite a bit of gain and loss here and there.

I usually get around 4.5-5.0 kWh on my display. I have no other way of measuring it.

Maybe it's break in, not sure, but today I think I got my best millage! Started with 100% charge, drove from Shoreline to Seattle, stopped at REI, then drove up the pass, substantial elevation gain to tiger mountain, then back to shoreline, ran an errand and returned to the hanger with 75 miles travelled, two bars left and 18 miles left showing on the meter. I drove mostly highway, 60-70 mph some AC, some stop and go, stereo blasting!

G

While tiger mountain is a bit impressive, that seems to be my results as well. What was your miles per kWh?

Apparently driving to work and back must be a figment of my imagination. My boss hasn't fired me yet, so I must be making it in :D Today was 4.8 miles/kWh, light traffic, in drive. 36.3 miles, and usually my 5th bar from the top turns off as I roll up. Still 7 left.

My last reboot was 500 miles ago and the computer is showing a 4.3m/kw average since then.
G
rainnw said:
While tiger mountain is a bit impressive, that seems to be my results as well. What was your miles per kWh?

Apparently driving to work and back must be a figment of my imagination. My boss hasn't fired me yet, so I must be making it in :D Today was 4.8 miles/kWh, light traffic, in drive. 36.3 miles, and usually my 5th bar from the top turns off as I roll up. Still 7 left.

I am apparently near the top for distance on carwings for the month. Wow, i must do a lot of driving.

Back