8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
http://1bog.org/

check out these guys if you are in CA.
Group buying for solar installations.
Actually I did. There's no group buying in my area. They did recommend a very good contractor however.

LTLFTcomposite,

I already linked a thread I created to specifically talk about nukes. Pls use that thread.

This time I've moved the posts.

ENIAC said:
thankyouOB said:
http://1bog.org/

check out these guys if you are in CA.
Group buying for solar installations.
Actually I did. There's no group buying in my area. They did recommend a very good contractor however.

nothing better than what you are doing. minimize your use through conservation steps and put in a PV unit.
We are able to get 100%+ with a 3.4K dc watt system. It was 2.5 years ago, so it was pricier than it is now.
I think you could get something like that for around 6-8k now.

Sympathies to those in Japan. The depth of this tragedy is just bewidlering.

14 March 2011 Last updated at 00:39 ET
As Japan starts to count the cost of Friday's devastating earthquake, the country's energy companies have announced rolling blackouts because of power shortages.

Asia Business Report's Mariko Oi speaks to Andy Palmer, Senior VP at the carmaker Nissan about how this will impact his company's business.
In the video interview Andy Palmer states, "Some of Nissan's suppliers are in the Nuclear Exclusion area..." (01:49 paraphrased)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/12729304

With limited electricity, possible rolling blackouts and Nissan assessing it's suplier chain, it seems it will take several days or more for them to complete the assessment and decide when to re-open their plants and what production delays their will be. They already added shifts to get more LEAFs out, so losing several days of production I wouldn't be surprised to see deliveries slip by a week as Nissan and Japan deal with more pressing issues. Nissan may be able to manage their production schedules to make up for the delay, but it's not that important compared to other issues. They also stated that they lost about 2,300 cars in Tsunami damage.

A quote from the WSJ this morning:

Nissan Motor Co. said that it will suspend two damaged plants located in Tochigi and Fukushima, closer to the central quake-hit area, until Friday and another four plants near the Tokyo area and Fukuoka, south of Japan, until Wednesday.

LindaK said:
A quote from the WSJ this morning:

Nissan Motor Co. said that it will suspend two damaged plants located in Tochigi and Fukushima, closer to the central quake-hit area, until Friday and another four plants near the Tokyo area and Fukuoka, south of Japan, until Wednesday.
Oppama is probably included in "the Tokyo area." It is a bit south of Tokyo.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2011/03/nissan-says-boatload-of-us-bound-leaf-evs-cleared-port-before-quake.html

A cargo ship loaded with 600 Leafs left from Nissan's Oppama plant near Yokohama on March 10, a day before the 8.9 magnitude quake and the subsequent tidal wave that inundated the northeastern coastal area of Honshu - Japan's major island.

Report following earthquake (report #4)
- Forecasts on Production -
As an update to previous reports regarding the recent earthquake’s impact to Nissan and our affiliates’ facilities, the following is the latest update on our manufacturing operations. Additionally, taking into account the severity of the situation, Nissan will make its utmost efforts to provide support to restoration activities. Fully cooperating with the Government’s request to place national priority on securing electricity for areas in need, Nissan and its group companies will proactively take measures to conserve electricity usage in all of its activities.

<Forecast on future production>

•Tochigi Plant, Iwaki Plant
Suspending operations until Friday, March 18
Oppama Plant, Kyushu Plant, Nissan Shatai, Yokohama Plant
Suspending operations until Wednesday, March 16
<Humanitarian Efforts>
Nissan earlier announced that it will donate 30,000,000 yen to the NGO Japan Platform, and that it would study further relief efforts. The following contributions are being considered:

•Complimentary provision of vehicles, such as trucks and forklifts
•Donation of medical supplies and daily commodities, such as blankets, antiseptics and masks
•Gift matching donation from Nissan employees
•Promotion and support of blood donation activities
<Electricity Conservation Activities>

•Suspension of air-conditioning at Global Headquarters (GHQ) and Nissan Technical Center (NTC)
•Closure of all “Nissan Gallery” locations in Japan (GHQ, Sapporo, Ginza (Tokyo), Nagoya, Fukuoka) until March 18
•Blackout of all dealership signboard lamps and lowering of lighting intensity inside showrooms
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2011/_STORY/110314-01-e.html

Here's something weird. I placed my order online at the end of February and today I got an email from Nissan giving me an update that my estimated delivery is for the month of May. First of all, this is only about 3 months from the order date instead of the 4-7 month estimate given originally. Secondly, why am I getting an updated email now of all times when there has just been a big earth quake there and they had to shut down the Oppama plant and we're not sure how soon they can resume production?

I hope this is not some cruel joke. I went online and saw that my order summary no longer has the "Edit" option next to my color of choice anymore. Some poster has a blog (livingleaf.info) that says if the Edit button is gone there, then it's a good chance that it's been scheduled into production now.

Volusiano said:
Here's something weird. I placed my order online at the end of February and today I got an email from Nissan giving me an update that my estimated delivery is for the month of May. First of all, this is only about 3 months from the order date instead of the 4-7 month estimate given originally. Secondly, why am I getting an updated email now of all times when there has just been a big earth quake there and they had to shut down the Oppama plant and we're not sure how soon they can resume production?

I hope this is not some cruel joke. I went online and saw that my order summary no longer has the "Edit" option next to my color of choice anymore. Some poster has a blog (livingleaf.info) that says if the Edit button is gone there, then it's a good chance that it's been scheduled into production now.
It shouldn't be a joke. The reservation/ordering process is done thru Nissan USA so that should go smoothly. Manufacturing/shipping is another story.

Thanks for the heads-up though - My Jan order/May(be) delivery has lost the 'change color' option as well.

Just received email from contact at Nissan engineer working near Oppama. He mentioned that most of public transportation in Kanto area is operating at 70-90% compared to normal.The planned electricity outage is limited so far. The scheduled outage dates and times are revised everyday. However, most of the outages are canceled because electricity demand is not so high. Probably, most of the production plants, office buildings and commercial facilities are closed or at limited operation. This situation will change when more facilities start ramping up their activities.
Nissan Oppama is closed until March 16.

LakeLeaf said:
Current new reports - which are really impossible to believe - are that TEPCO has removed all workers from the site of the damaged nuclear reactors.
Let us discuss this in the nuke crisis thread.

Back