A thread for people happy with their Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fond it humorous how many fewer issues I have had road tripping my Leaf vs. friends with Teslas and Lucids. Part of it is just plain expectations mgmt. and the other part is just the up front stop planning and plugshare check for station operability.
While Chademo is waning. Reliability has been excellent for me personally(for stations listed as in operation).

The ease of travel now vs. 2019 when I bought my Plus is night and day. So many options across Iowa, Missouri and even Illinois now.

All that said, I am tempted to buy an adapter to make it even easier. The A2Z users appear to be having good success with the adapter.
If your friends have had trouble with charging Teslas, they are poor planners and haven't used the Tesla navigation properly. Geography may play a part. All of our driving in the almost two years we've had a Tesla has been in the West, with the farthest East being Denver. Our longest stretch was from Denver to Grand Junction, about 220 miles at 80 to 85 mph over an 11,000 foot pass. We were at about 95% starting and about 14% when we arrived, which was within a percent ot two of what the car predicted. The worst problem we ever had was arriving in a small Utah town late at night and not seeing the Superchargers. Plugshare rescued us there.

I wouldn't touch an A2Z adapter with a ten foot (insulated) pole unless it becomes UL listed. We're talking dangerous voltages. We have a Tesla CCS adapter, so we can use virtually any charger. I wouldn't buy a cheap third party CCS adapter for the same reason.

its been a year since i posted in this thread.

Leaf is serving its intended role as anticipated, racking up the miles on daily trips. might have to buy tires next year.

The final straw was a 1,200 mile trip in the fall of 2022. While we were never stranded, we had problems almost every time.
Wow the EA network in the US really seems to suck.

From what I've read in the past year or so, I believe we're really lucky in Quebec Canada with the current state of our charging network. It's reliable, quite cheap, simple, and there are L2 and L3 stations almost everywhere, even in some remote locations. I really hope it lasts! :)

I wouldn't touch an A2Z adapter with a ten foot (insulated) pole unless it becomes UL listed. We're talking dangerous voltages. We have a Tesla CCS adapter, so we can use virtually any charger. I wouldn't buy a cheap third party CCS adapter for the same reason.
One example is the Vortex CCS1 to NACS is not UL listed but UL2252 compliant. Just as the A2Z claims Tested and compliant with UL2252's outline.

The Vortex is a cheap adapter and probably isn't what you have but I'm sure (and purely assuming) that it's widely used at that price and the number of Google hits it receives.

This is the beginning of my fourth week with my '22 S. I drive 100 miles round trip to work almost every day (M-F). 95% highway, 60-65 mph. Most people at work thought I was nuts to do this, but I'm there before them every day so it DOES work. The car uses abt 30% of the battery one way so the 150 mile range seems accurate. I'm averaging 4.7 m/kwh, so not too bad. The winter will be different, I know. I can charge for free very near work so if needed I'll be ok.
So Far, So Good!

Not to derail the thread, but where are you "tapping" the 12v system? I am able to charge my EcoFlow Delta Pro (battery backup) from the Leaf's 12v lighter, but that's not a direct connect to the house/transfer switch.
Where the 12V battery would normally be connected. Excuse the dirty look of the picture, guess I need to wash out under the hood. 😄
Basically, my ancient LiFePO4 is connected and I used separate wires to run to my Anderson quick connect. I connect that to the Inverter (moved out of way for the picture), which stays under the hood to shelter rain/snow/etc. I have two outdoor plugs (male) that I then run to the under the Leaf hood from the house, plug into the inverter which automatically (when powered), switches the internal power of house to it. I don't keep the inverter in my Leaf, it remains in the house until I need to bring it out for backup power.

Attachments

• PXL_20240521_183144656.jpg
    PXL_20240521_183144656.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 0
Where the 12V battery would normally be connected. Excuse the dirty look of the picture, guess I need to wash out under the hood. 😄
Basically, my ancient LiFePO4 is connected and I used separate wires to run to my Anderson quick connect. I connect that to the Inverter (moved out of way for the picture), which stays under the hood to shelter rain/snow/etc. I have two outdoor plugs (male) that I then run to the under the Leaf hood from the house, plug into the inverter which automatically (when powered), switches the internal power of house to it. I don't keep the inverter in my Leaf, it remains in the house until I need to bring it out for backup power.
Hmmm. So you have an automatic transfer switch connected to the house that disconnects the house from the grid when you activate the inverter?

Hmmm. So you have an automatic transfer switch connected to the house that disconnects the house from the grid when you activate the inverter?
Not the whole house, just some specific circuits I selected. The original design was to just power 2 outlets in the kitchen (refrigerator and one counter outlet), followed by the house lights, and then a few outlets downstairs and a few outlets upstairs. Basically, I had two circuits to work with as the original generator had (2) 1500 watt outlets, separate breakers on it. All I've done is just rewire it so I have these long extension cords to run around the house to my Leaf as the generator was originally on the side of the house, not near the place were we parked our vehicles. That was years ago, so I've created a more "permanent" circuit at the front of the house to plug in the Leaf now if needed. Yeah, the transfer switch is "powered" by input power (automatic transfer switch) and remains "off" on the electric utility power otherwise.

Last edited:
One example is the Vortex CCS1 to NACS is not UL listed but UL2252 compliant. Just as the A2Z claims Tested and compliant with UL2252's outline.

The Vortex is a cheap adapter and probably isn't what you have but I'm sure (and purely assuming) that it's widely used at that price and the number of Google hits it receives.
The Vortex is designed to charge a CCS compatible Tesla from a CCS charger. Older Teslas need a hardware and software retrofit to be CCS compatible. The hardware software retrofit includes a Tesla adapter similar to the Vortex which is $350 for a model 3 and $450 for the Model S or X. The adapter alone is $250.

If Nissan had offered something similar for our SV+, even at three times what Tesla charges, we would still have it. If the Chinese made, Canadian sold, allegedly UL2252 compliant adapter destroys your car, good luck getting them to fix it.

Hi all, just wanted to share some mainly positive and a few small negative experience on my family's 2023 Nissan Leaf 40kWh.

First of all, I live in Indonesia therefore we got the Japanese made Leaf but with the European standard plugs (Type 2 AC instead of J1772). The Nissan Leaf isn't a cheap EV by any means, it's around $45k new and the only incentives we got are the very cheap yearly registration (plate) tax, no progressive tax (if you have more than 1 ICE cars, the taxes gets progressively expensive the more you own them. EVs are exempted from that), and the electricity subsidy for our home charger. I got the car for $41k after some tough negotiations, got a free window tint, free wall charger with installation included, and extended warranty to 5 years and 10 years for the battery.

The car is mainly used around town here in the capital city of Jakarta, and because everything in Jakarta is not that far, we managed to have around 260-270 kilometers of range or around 170-180 miles of range. Finding ChaDeMo connectors here aren't that difficult since the government mandated all public chargers must have either DC CCS2 or DC ChaDeMo alongside AC type 2 chargers. This means that if I can't DC charge it, at least there's an AC charger nearby. Lo and behold, most public chargers here are AC chargers ranging from 7-22 kilowatts. Safe to say, finding a place to charge my car is relatively easy. Ride quality is excellent for a car with torsion beam rear suspension and equipped with eco tyres. Seats are amazingly comfortable (got the leather with suede inserts), interior space is adequate for my family and the luggage space is huge. Also our daily cost on operating our car is down by a LOT, since we always "fill up" the car at home.

Would I recommend other people to buy a Leaf? Sadly no, because there are loads of Chinese EVs coming with double the range and half the price, the Leaf is very undesirable for most people. Especially for those living in apartments where they can't exactly charge all the time. More so the locally assembled Hyundai Ioniq 5 standard range base model is priced close enough to the Leaf. The reason why we chose the Leaf? Ride and build quality as well as size, because we were planning to make this as our daily driver. But I can't lie that I do have a buyer's remorse on no looking hard enough for a base model Ioniq 5 when buying the Leaf. Most dealers only stock the top trims which is around $51k at the time. We're not exactly fond of Korean brands, and the other Japanese offering was a $72k Toyota BZ4X, the $73k Lexus UX300e or the $130k Lexus RZ450e (very luxurious inside though. European brands? Well almost all of them are north of $80k-100k so no. Chinese? We did consider it, especially the MG4 which is the direct rival for the Leaf, but we yet again aren't too keen on that brand.

Overall, we're still happy with the car. Even with only 180 miles of range when fully charged, we experienced no major issues whatsoever even in our tropical heat climate. We mainly charge it at home and never DC charged it since we had the car. The A/C is super cold all the time, the standard audio system is quite good, and because it's a Leaf it gets minimal attention. Very important when driving it around the sketchy part of town.

Back