Accelerator sticking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1234567

Yesterday I had to make a turn across traffic so I floored the pedal to accelerate. The accelerator locked and I had to use my left foot to release it. This is the second time I've had this happen. I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought it in to have my AC replaced and he told me the problem was my floor mat. I didn't even have a floor mat in yesterday. Did anyone else have this happen?

That sounds dangerous! Since you removed your floor mat (good idea!), check to make sure the felt-covered plastic behind the accelerator isn't somehow interfering with the accelerator returning to a resting position. With the car turned off, get a flashlight and see what's interfering. It should be pretty clear because the LEAF is drive-by-wire... no accelerator cable.

Even if there is nothing visible interfering (e.g. trim pieces, carpet, other parts), the accelerator pedal mechanism could itself stick/bind.

Personally, if you're very certain there was no user error, if the dealer won't do anything, you should formally contact Nissan and make sure they have your issue on file. And, then I'd file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at www.safercar.gov. Even better for the latter to be done once the issue has been remedied, where possible/applicable.

After speaking with the 800 number, I brought my Leaf into yet another dealership. They weren't able to duplicate the problem but they won't release my car back to me until the Nissan tech looks at it at the end of the month. I'm glad I have a loaner but it's an icky Versa.

Back