Acronyms!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IssacZachary

As a new Leaf owner I find myself overwhelmed by the amount of acronyms related to Leafs and EV's in general. I thought I'd start a forum here where anyone can come look these acronyms up and also help add them. This is what I've figured out so far:

• BEV, Battery Electric Vehicle. A vehicle that derives its form of propulsion from energy stored in an onboard traction battery.
  • CHAdeMO - Japanese quick charging standard that looks like a jet fuel connector ;)
  • DCQC - Direct current quick charge; see QC
  • EV, Electric Vehicle: This can refer to any vehicle that uses electricity for propulsion including electric trains and trollies, although most people use it to refer to a battery electric vehicle or BEV.
  • EVSE, Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment: This is what normally plugs into your BEV to charge it by supplying the BEV's onboard charger with alternating current. Some are hardwired to the electric grid, usually through a circuit breaker box, and others have a plug on one end that can plug into a household outlet. EVSE's supply household Alternating Current to the EV's onboard charger.
  • GID, ???: 1/77.5 of a watt-hour, I think.
  • GOM, Guess-O-Meter: This refers to the miles or kilometers remaining that the Leaf "guesses" you have left before the battery runs dead.
  • J1772 - the name of the standard for the regular charging port on the car
  • kW, kilowatt: A unit of power. A kilowatt is one thousand watts. A kilowatt equals close to 1.34 horsepower.
  • kWh, kilowatt-hour: A unit of energy. It's the amount of energy used to supply one kilowatt of power for one hour. For comparison, a gallon of gasoline contains around 33kWh of energy.
  • LEAF, Leading Environmental Affordable Family car.
  • L1 - Level 1 (charging) - 120v charging of any kind using the standard J1772 port
  • L2 - Level 2 - 240v charging of any kind using the standard port
  • L3 - Level 3: DC charging of any kind, where the charger is off-board the car and charges the battery directly, see QC
  • S, SV, and SL - not acronyms but trim levels of the Leaf, in order from least expensive to most expensive.
  • SOC, State Of Charge: The amount of energy that is in the traction battery.
  • SOH - State of Health: represents the overall capacity of the battery (as opposed to the charge it has at the moment) - typically represented as a percentage of original, brand-new battery capacity. Low SOH means a degraded battery; high SOH means a battery with little degradation.
  • QC - Quick Charge; Level 3 charger (very fast, uses CHAdeMO connector on the Leaf, not all Leafs are equipped with it)

Please help me with the billions of other acronyms that I have no idea what they mean!

Thanks to annabel398, FalconFour, cwerdna and RegGuheert!

GOM - Guess-O-Meter - the "miles remaining" estimate in any EV. :lol: There's lots of opinions on this one, but one important note is that, with few exceptions in some EV models, it always varies on a full charge and tends to trip up some people. "Why isn't my car fully charged? I had 81 miles yesterday, now it says 75... why, why?!"
L1 - Level 1 (charging) - 120v charging of any kind using the standard J1772 port
L2 - Level 2 - 240v charging of any kind using the standard port
L3 or QC - Level 3 or Quick Charging - DC charging of any kind, where the charger is off-board the car and charges the battery directly
J1772 - the name of the standard for the regular charging port on the car
CHAdeMO - Japanese quick charging standard that looks like a jet fuel connector ;)

IssacZachary said:
  • EVSE, Electric Vehicle Service Equipment: This is what normally plugs into your BEV to charge it by supplying the BEV's onboard charger with alternating current. Some are hardwired to the electric grid, usually through a circuit breaker box, and others have a plug on one end that can plug into a household outlet. EVSE's supply household Alternating Current to the EV's onboard charger.
  • GID, ???: 1/80 of a watt-hour, I think
EVSE is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. See http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingprimer.pdf.

Gid is mentioned at http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Glossary. Leaf Spy seems to default to 1 gid = 77.5 watt-hours. Whether that's accurate at all and under what conditions is another story or debate.

Isaac, please add:

• QC - Quick Charge; Level 3 charger (very fast, uses CHAdeMO connector on the Leaf, not all Leafs are equipped with it)
  • S, SV, and SL - not acronyms but trim levels of the Leaf, in order from least expensive to most expensive.
  • SOH - State of Health: represents the overall capacity of the battery (as opposed to the charge it has at the moment) - typically represented as a percentage of original, brand-new battery capacity. Low SOH means a degraded battery; high SOH means a battery with little degradation.

Also, just for readability, you might boldface the acronyms.

annabel398 said:
Isaac, please add:

Also, just for readability, you might boldface the acronyms.
Great idea! Thanks! I'll do that when I get back from work. And thanks to all so far!

PS. Does LEAF stand for Leading Environmental Affordable Family car?

Back