Adding a Brusa charger under the hood for '11/'12s

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read this a few times now and it seems that the Brusa charger is acting like a slave to the other charger with no mods. It's just been connected in parallel with the system and it's charging as you would want it too, is that really it??? wow! Very impressive guys!! The Can bus is what scares me too :)

jcan said:
I've read this a few times now and it seems that the Brusa charger is acting like a slave to the other charger with no mods. It's just been connected in parallel with the system and it's charging as you would want it too, is that really it??? wow! Very impressive guys!! The Can bus is what scares me too :)
there are no mods involved.. The Brusa is stock. You can run it 2 ways..

In AUTO with a real simple profile grabbed from MetricMind's website (he has TONS of profiles for the Brusa's for every car and packs out there)...

Or in CAN mode.. CAN is simple.. but you need a device or controller like GregH's unit shown or his LeafDD unit. Defiantly buy one from him to support the ongoing development for the community!!

I just tied into Greg's 2 CAN pins.. CAN-high & CAN-low... simple as that.. no pilot signal needed and DO NOT connect to the Brusa..

The Leaf is doing all the work! :D

JasonA said:
IT'S WORKING GUYS!!! :D :cool:

On more thing and thank you and then I'll stop rambling.. Victor from Metric Mind (EV shop in Oregon) recently got axed on here supposedly because he started to post his Leaf pics and Brusa setup's and a "few" individuals didn't like that and possibly felt "threatened :roll:

I'll say that Victor gave me a TREMENDOUS amount of phone time and support for no cost in helping with tuning the Brusa just right with the Leaf. He's a great guy who's willing to help out and I'd like to personally say THANK YOU Victor for your help today!

I know where my next units and cables will be coming from!!

Anyways... next is Jeremy's Leaf.. and then Tony's RAV4 EV!!!

I cannot wait!!!

Jason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5al2mxSIEl0&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would also like to clarify that Victor was banned by the admin after several warnings to become a forum supporter. Regardless of what some think he has been making vendor related posts on this site and his ban could have been lifted or prevented but he chose not to make a small token donation. IMO, a $15 donation to this forum is a no brainer for almost any member, vendor or not.

Personally as a customer that spent more than $20,000 at his shop I just think that the $15 is really not a big deal considering all the direct benefit he gains here not to mention all the marketing traffic to his site, apparently he does not see the value in the money spent or the desire to support the forum in that way, regardless of the reason he decided not to donate and to push back on the request. Every other vendor here has done this, even Blink just so they could comment and reply, for this reason the admin believes everyone should follow the basic rules. These type of donations keep the forum running and are really token donations not large personal or corporate commitments. I believe most members support fairness in policy application and the trivial nature of a small donation.

JasonA said:
Yeah..I went to top it off this morning before a long drive and it was peaking at 18.3a :D

I laying in bed last night thinking... "yeah.. 2 will fit up there nicely" :lol:

But I think Victor's solution is more elegant.. in back for that reason!

Get the big, clunky 12 volt battery out of there and keep all three chargers under the hood for 60 amp capable charging.

Leave the rear of the car for the spare tire. The inside the trunk area is for the extra batteries.

Absolutely impressed how this project has come along. While I don't have to upgrade my charger (but U did learn a lot from the many details and photos posted here), I'm really thankful that we have so many folks willing to help each other with these kind of projects, so thanks!

EVDRIVER said:
JasonA said:
IT'S WORKING GUYS!!! :D :cool:

I would also like to clarify that Victor was banned by the admin after several warnings to become a forum supporter. Regardless of what some think he has been making vendor related posts on this site and his ban could have been lifted or prevented but he chose not to make a small token donation. IMO, a $15 donation to this forum is a no brainer for almost any member, vendor or not.

Personally as a customer that spent more than $20,000 at his shop I just think that the $15 is really not a big deal considering all the direct benefit he gains here not to mention all the marketing traffic to his site, apparently he does not see the value in the money spent or the desire to support the forum in that way, regardless of the reason he decided not to donate and to push back on the request. Every other vendor here has done this, even Blink just so they could comment and reply, for this reason the admin believes everyone should follow the basic rules. These type of donations keep the forum running and are really token donations not large personal or corporate commitments. I believe most members support fairness in policy application and the trivial nature of a small donation.
<rant>
I run one of the most popular sites/forums in another niche, and have to disagree with the ban and requesting victor to make a 'donation' (if this is what really happened, as I didn't realized he was banned, but I was away from the forums for a while).

I'm all for charging vendors to allow them to post about their goods or sales, but when someone as smart as Victor is going beyond selling some parts (which is obvious from the data he has shared, and the testimonials from people that have been helped by him), he should have been given a pass as long as he didn't use the forums to continuously plug his goods/business. Heck, as a site operator myself, I LOVE it when people such as Victor join the community, and if somehow he can't be put in the vendor group without seeing a paypal receipt (which is BS/greed), then post, and many of us would be more than willing to pay the fee (myself included).

The discussion of his plan to install multiple chargers in the back is not 'typical sales' talk, it's hardcore engineering that may benefit many of us.

His knowledge and time are far more valuable than the 'donation' , and I am surprised that others fail to realize this. It's a loss to this community that we are shunning people like him simply because of greed.

Can you imagine if you guys banned TonyWilliams or any of the other top contributors after they mention they have some EV projects going on? Look at how much we would have missed out on!
</rant>

lion said:
His knowledge and time are far more valuable than the 'donation' , and I am surprised that others fail to realize this. It's a loss to this community that we are shunning people like him simply because of greed.

I agree 100%. We have trolls who SHOULD be banned, but this moderator doesn't want to inhibit anybody's right to free speech, but a valued contributor is harassed for chump change (that if you really needed $15, I'll pay it) and is banned for not paying. It sounds like a mafia operation to me, "hey, pay up, or we snuff ya".

I didn't find that Victor was harping his particular brand or product; it was actually the moderator who brought that up.

So, if $15 is the reason, UNDO THE BAN NOW and I'll send you the extortion money. PM me the PayPal to send it to. Thanks in advance for your prompt attention to this important matter.

Tony,

The admin banned him based on the forum rules and I really don't think it was for the petty $15.00. The admin is not trying to extort money, that's really a joke. I believe it is a temp 2 week ban so Victor can post here again. If Victor can't afford it then I'm glad to pay for him if that is the issue. The donation is a technicality of a forum supporter, that's all. The admin set his up a long time ago as it was agreed by forum members in the past.

TonyWilliams said:
lion said:

I agree 100%. We have trolls who SHOULD be banned, but this moderator doesn't want to inhibit anybody's right to free speech, but a valued contributor is harassed for chump change (that if you really needed $15, I'll pay it) and is banned for not paying. It sounds like a mafia operation to me, "hey, pay up, or we snuff ya".

I didn't find that Victor was harping his particular brand or product; it was actually the moderator who brought that up.

So, if $15 is the reason, UNDO THE BAN NOW and I'll send you the extortion money. PM me the PayPal to send it to. Thanks in advance for your prompt attention to this important matter.

EVDRIVER said:
Tony,

The admin banned him based on the forum rules and I really don't think it was for the petty $15.00. The admin is not trying to extort money, that's really a joke. I believe it is a temp 2 week ban so Victor can post here again. If Victor can't afford it then I'm glad to pay for him if that is the issue. The donation is a technicality of a forum supporter, that's all. The admin set his up a long time ago as it was agreed by forum members in the past.
It stopped being a joke when someone decided to ban a member who is interested in making the Nissan LEAF (the car we all drive) a better/more interesting EV. It doesn't make sense, it's greed, and I don't care if it was agreed up in the past, as the dynamics of a community change on a daily basis. I'm still somewhat confused as to how this all started, I went back to check out all his posts, and there was nothing 'commercial' about them (in fact he stated it was just a research project right now).

The only person who had a problem with him seems to be you, as you are the one who started pushing this situation. What about BBrockman? Doesn't look like he is in the vendor group. Did he 'donate'?

lion said:
FWIW - I am in complete agreement as he never attempted to sell anything. EVDRIVER obviously disagrees.

TonyWilliams said:
Tony, you are awesome.

Hi All, Victor here

I'll split this reply in two, one does not fit in 6000 characters...

I was about to ask Jason to post a reply from me but looks like moderators generously allowed me to speak. So:

There is absolutely no problem to pay $15 or $150 for that matter if that's a donation. I was told by EVDRIVER
that since I am a "commercial vendor" I have to pay $15 to be able to post here since I'm taking advantage of
promoting business here, and all vendors pay, so I should as well. I explained to him that I'm just posting my
project what I did, no different than Jason's project and other great guys here, and nowhere in my posts I tried
to sell anything, offer anything or get exposure to gain business. So just because I happened to be a vendor in
related field, I must pay "donation" no matter what the post - promotional, ad, or personal project or a question.
I told him I can pay just to support the forum, but I don't feel that my posts are any different than anyone else's.
And before I got chance to explain anything again, at next login I got message that I'm banned for "not following
forum rules". Frankly this felt like a slap in the face.

A definition of donation is volunteering to give money or something of a value away. And you donate if YOU feel like
you want to donate. Look it up definition on wiki. If you face a [negative] consequences of not donating, as I did,
that's not donation,it's indeed extortion. Imagine a radio station asking for donations from listeners and shutting down
radio receivers of those who don't. That's essentially what happened here. If you want money but do something to me
if I don't pay, don't call it donation, that's pretty much invoicing. Just call it what it is, then I'd pay because no
surprises, I know what the rules are.

At this point I have no interest supporting forum which treats people like that. Again, it's not a matter of $15 at all.
Thus friends, DO NOT pay for me, I'm perfectly capable of doing it, but I'm NOT posting on this forum unless rules change
and no demands "or else" are made. Replace word "Donation" with "Payment required" and define what qualifies for it.
Do I have to act as vendor (my business will benefit from my activity) or I'm asked to pay for just being a vendor
even though postings got nothing to do with it. What id I'm a vendor for welding equipment, do I have to pay?

If EVDRIVER thinks he "punishes" me, think again who looses by not seeing information I can provide and many terrific people
could benefit from. If you think I get to sell more chargers by posting what I posted, I have a news for you: people like Jason,
Jeremy and others who push the envelope and having fun in the process, indirectly promote Brusa chargers far more than I do
as it is more likely people will upgrade Leafs their way than using extreme solution I used. May be you should ban them too since
my business might benefit from their activity??

{part 2 follows}

{part 2}

BTW, to let everyone know, my project is posted as open source - welcome to grab any material or data from my site and do
whatever you pleased with it. It's free to all, I'm not asking for purchases or donations, even though project may look like marketing
of Brusa chargers rather than describing what can be done to a Leaf. Welcome to use different chargers and my concept if you like.
Welcome to create kits from the parts I designed and sell it to people, I don't mind. The more happy Leaf owners, the more I feel it
worth living for. I donated far more time to this project than $15 worth.

Anyway, to prove that's not a matter of money I'll donate 10 times of "token fee" or $150 to Jason in a form of credit (discount)
they order Brusa charger from my business, and the same - to Jeremy. I'm happy (and in fact _proud_) of the opportunity to part
with $300 toward these guys *precisely* because they never asked for it. And for who they are - engineers and tinkerers who work
for better cause for everyone who cares to listen. I'm thankful to this forum for the opportunity to meet them and others like them.
You guys are AWESOME, my hat is off for what you do! But I'm NOT paying $15 *precisely* because I was demanded to do it and warned of the
consequences if I don't (and you still call it "donation :roll: ), and finally got slapped in the face for an attempt to explain myself why I
believe it is just wrong.

So I'll keep posting like anyone else here if I'll be allowed, and if you want to ban me for mere being a vendor (not acting like one), it is in
your power EVDRIVER to do so. I don't believe this is of the service to the community, but I also know you care more about your rules than
how they benefit everyone other than owners of the forum. My advise - consider changing your rules, or you will loose more
people along with your reputation than you gain dollars.

Sorry all for long(ish) post, but I had to say it just in case I'll get banned in a few minutes again, so you know about who I am, where
I stand and how it all started a bit better, so you can make more objective judgements and comments after hearing both sides.

My 2 Wh worth.
Victor

p.s.

Jason, I just posted boosters profile as you wanted me to - on MMC web page as well as on the blog (very last link at the bottom).
I'll also directly email you one. Thank you for being a decent man. And, you got my free support for what you do. If I won't support
you on this forum you'll know why, but then welcome to call or email me. Any time man. Any time.

I'm still trying to figure out what rule metricmind broke.

New rules for posting Advertisements, Deals, For Sale/Wanted

Nothing in there says anything about vendors who are NOT hawking their wares. And there are actual vendors who regularly hawk their wares outside of the designated area.

I'll bring this up for moderator discussion.

Anyway - if we want to discuss this further, we can do this in a new thread to avoid further derailing this one.

Well said Victor!

I think this thread is an epic win for all Leaf owners!!
vqYuG.gif

As for the CAN bus scarring people, it's working in stand alone AUTO mode right now until the final CAN programming is tied into GregH's unit (that custom to him).. For now, the Brusa is doing all the work and it's EXTREMELY simple and NO WIRES are needed to tie into the Leaf or hook up to talk to it.

Just on the main AMPSEAL connector, just PIN 1-ground.. and tie 2&3 together.. that's it.. for programming you need the serial cable..

But nothing else is needed... and this charging profile that is set to 80% (or 392v) on my pack.. and it works perfectly...

I'm going to be putting in an order this weekend possibly with the WaterJet guy for a plate or two for Jeremy and another user on here...

Let me know if anybody else wants one.. I might make a few extra.. but won't be going back for awhile.

After Jeremy's is a RAV4 template!! :D

Guys,

Well done! This is truly awesome work!

(Disclaimer: what follows is me speaking as a LEAF owner, not a journalist or anything else)

There's a bunch of LEAF owners in the UK who are suitably geeky enough -- and skilled enough -- to do a similar mod here in the UK. But of course, it'd be great if someone could share a CAD file for making the appropriate template. Why do twice the hard work when someone has walked the path before!?

Over here, the draw is to add the NLG667 instead of the NLG514, since we have 3-phase power as 22 kilowatt 3 phase public charging stations are getting pretty common here.

For me personally, I'm looking at a move to the U.S. in a few years' time, so the single phase route would be more sensible. Since I've got a few other projects first (leather and a respray) the 7.2 kW upgrade will have to wait.

I do have a question though: what's stopping folks from using a water cooled under-hood NLG514? I wonder if it'd be a little quieter? I know Victor's used the water-cooled ones on his modification, but that route looks a lot more complicated with the under-floor location.

One final thought: with the excellent work done so far, I'd love to see someone build a portable harness for the Brusa for the times when you need to charge away from level 2 stations, but just need some extra juice quickly. The idea would be to physically disconnect the Brusa from the LEAF's onboard J1772, and then connect the Brusa to a flying lead for war charging from a suitable outlet.

Scenario: you arrive at your mom's place, and she's only got a 240v drier outlet and a 110v outlet. Plug your car into one, and the Brusa into the other.... It wouldn't be 7.2 kW, but it'd be faster than stock 110v or even Phil's 240-modded EVSEs...

Nikki.

The thing about auto mode is that you need a way to command the Brusa to zero amps when disconnecting the j1772 (when unplugging before the charge completes) and should have a way to respect the pilot and all that, but it works well for testing!

The water cooled variant is a bit more expensive, also I'd imagine you'd have to partially drain the cooling system to pipe it in. Would love to see a NLG667 under the hood. Even at single phase it's capable of 16A draw. Dunno what the price tag is on one though, probably not too pretty. :? Also yearn for public 3 phase charging in the US but it looks like single phase or DC only for a while. :|

Hi Nikki,

I talked to Victor about that unit but it's only 50hz and Brusa has no plans unless there is substantial investment ($750,000usd) to make a compatible USA unit that'll put out the power for us here on 60hz. While that might be an option in the future, 2 or 3 513-water cooled units is a more viable option.

As for pluming, it's only at the final stage where the Brusa needs to be hooked/plumed in, so minimal coolant loss happens. A trip down to Nissan for extra is fine.

Jeremy, my solution right now and how Victor had me set it is like this (and I think I explained it in the last page).. but you are right, the Brusa will pull current until unplugged..or...

1.Brusa is programmed for (my vehicle's) 80% voltage..

2. Brusa is also programmed to wait 1 min to start charging, this way the Leaf is ramped up and any timer issue,etc is done. Stage 1 is set for 0 VOLTS- 0 AMPS 1min

3. Brusa then kicks in 1 min later (Leaf is already going).. and starts charging to 80%.. even if the Leaf is set to 80 or 100%.. doesn't matter.. The Brusa is on it's own control.. IF THE LEAF FREAKS OUT AND TELLS THE EVSE TO CHOP OFF.. then EVERYTHING DIES OUT cause the J1772 power is cut..

4. I'm coming up near my 80%.. Brusa says "HEY!! TIME TO STOP".. it goes to stage 3.. 0 volts- 0amps and cuts off..

5. Leaf continues to top off to 80%.. or on its journey to 100%..

I have a profile for the Brusa for 98% also...

NOW!!! To address Jeremy's comment.. he is 100% correct!!

If at ANYTIME I push in the button on the handle (but still hold it in the socket).. the Leaf STOPS PULLING current.. but the Brusa continues- there's no pilot- BUT DO NOT HOOK IT UP!!

I've pulled out a few times now (lol) and I'm sure there's a slight arc. This is only if you stop during mid-charge.

Otherwise, there will be nothing because the Brusa stops before the Leaf does.

I'll make another youtube vid here in awhile at an Eaton station I'm going to test at.. Full power!! 7.2kw

metricmind said:
Hi All, Victor here

I'll split this reply in two, one does not fit in 6000 characters...

I was about to ask Jason to post a reply from me but looks like moderators generously allowed me to speak. So:

There is absolutely no problem to pay $15 or $150 for that matter if that's a donation. I was told by EVDRIVER
that since I am a "commercial vendor" I have to pay $15 to be able to post here since I'm taking advantage of
promoting business here, and all vendors pay, so I should as well. I explained to him that I'm just posting my
project what I did, no different than Jason's project and other great guys here, and nowhere in my posts I tried
to sell anything, offer anything or get exposure to gain business. So just because I happened to be a vendor in
related field, I must pay "donation" no matter what the post - promotional, ad, or personal project or a question.
I told him I can pay just to support the forum, but I don't feel that my posts are any different than anyone else's.
And before I got chance to explain anything again, at next login I got message that I'm banned for "not following
forum rules". Frankly this felt like a slap in the face.

A definition of donation is volunteering to give money or something of a value away. And you donate if YOU feel like
you want to donate. Look it up definition on wiki. If you face a [negative] consequences of not donating, as I did,
that's not donation,it's indeed extortion. Imagine a radio station asking for donations from listeners and shutting down
radio receivers of those who don't. That's essentially what happened here. If you want money but do something to me
if I don't pay, don't call it donation, that's pretty much invoicing. Just call it what it is, then I'd pay because no
surprises, I know what the rules are.

At this point I have no interest supporting forum which treats people like that. Again, it's not a matter of $15 at all.
Thus friends, DO NOT pay for me, I'm perfectly capable of doing it, but I'm NOT posting on this forum unless rules change
and no demands "or else" are made. Replace word "Donation" with "Payment required" and define what qualifies for it.
Do I have to act as vendor (my business will benefit from my activity) or I'm asked to pay for just being a vendor
even though postings got nothing to do with it. What id I'm a vendor for welding equipment, do I have to pay?

If EVDRIVER thinks he "punishes" me, think again who looses by not seeing information I can provide and many terrific people
could benefit from. If you think I get to sell more chargers by posting what I posted, I have a news for you: people like Jason,
Jeremy and others who push the envelope and having fun in the process, indirectly promote Brusa chargers far more than I do
as it is more likely people will upgrade Leafs their way than using extreme solution I used. May be you should ban them too since
my business might benefit from their activity??

{part 2 follows}

HI Victor,

I did not punish you, I did not ban you, you would know this if you simply took a second to contact me even once on PM. The admin was going to do this initially and I told him not to and to give you a opportunity to respond, you just ignored simple requests and made not effort to even understand what was happening, even a PM to someone would have avoided this, likely even without being a supporter, you were banned by the admin because you did not engage anyone. It was also a temporary ban he did. I was only trying to give you the opportunity to respond rather then be banned, etc.

The ADMIN and this forum has a rule that business, sellers, etc, etc need to be classified as vendors and be forum supporters, the forum supporter part (set up by members early on) is a donation and is trivial but changes your status on the forum, it's really a technicality. The reason the forum (not me) instituted this policy was simply to keep people form posting ads here and also to let people know you do have a business and give you great exposure as well, pretty good deal actually. I was just passing the rules on to you, and I informed you about this policy that every other person in some related business has honored you pushed back saying this was all a personal project, etc. etc. Well, I don't doubt it may be nor does it matter to me nor does the admin care about a measly $15. The point is that you never even inquired what was required to be a supporter and you just made excuses and made a trivial matter into something senseless. I'm not sure why you did not PM me or the admin and just ask about it instead of ignore the requests. I'm sure if you took a moment to understand this it would never have been a big deal. I only informed you of the basic rules because every other business here has done this even those selling nothing.

As the exclusive US distributor of Brusa, al these water cooled chargers must be purchased from you of course so please don't imply this is not going to be benefit your business greatly. I support your business to the tune of $20K and may continue to do so but please don't imply this site is not affording you marketing your products and it's all person project, that's lawyer speak. You may not see it that way but the admin runs this site lean and does have costs from which you certainly benefit.:)

PS- It is a donation because some folks give $15 or whatever the min was and some give hundreds. Members do not have to donate and Vendors do , at their level, $15 or more, clearly an extortion level and hard core web scam. (sarcasm)

This is clouding this thread so enough on this topic. You are welcome to post here of course and please send me a PM if needed, it is a better idea.

Yes, this is off topic. So I'll be quick and this is my last reply on this topic.

Members don't have to donate, so it's donations.
Vendors (acting like ones) HAVE to donate or else, so it's invoicing, not a donation.
I'd happily donate if I wouldn't be *required* to "donate" or be banned (and I was).

It's not about $15, I just gave away $300 and have no problems with money,
it's a matter of principle.

Rules are set by someone so they can be changed by the same someone.

Yes, my business exclusively sells BRUSA chargers and not only in the US, I make
no secret of it - it is bluntly said so on my web site. (my business sells to OEMs so
this Leaf forum is very wrong place to promote anything, so I don't and never did.
I'm not posting as a vendor here even though I am one. You keep failing to make this distinction).
This means NO MATTER what I say or post, it may be taken as attention
to me -> to products -> to sales. So I can't say ANYTHING as Victor Tikhonov here
because it might benefit my business and this is WRONG.
I can't talk unless classified as vendor and required to pay (even $0.99) or in general
do something others don't have to. It's just fundamentally wrong.

Let's get back to technical fun stuff. I'm NOT paying unless I act like a vendor.
If you don't like it and unwilling to change your rules, ban me, so be it, forum loses me.
You will sure have sense of accomplishment fulfilling your "small formalities" rules
which is the most important.

Back