Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
AutoHaulersinc said:
I wonder if I gained any aero advantage from mot having the "zero emission" emblems on the side?? ....probably not.
I highly doubt that it makes any noticeable difference. But if you like the way it looks better, then all good!

By 3M tape, are you talking about the clear protective film?
Yes and wow that stuff in isnt exactly cheap

AutoHaulersinc said:
I wonder if I gained any aero advantage from mot having the "zero emission" emblems on the side?? ....probably not.
Not likely, but you gained the advantage that people won't look at you with scorn in their eyes.

ishiyakazuo said:
AutoHaulersinc said:
Not likely, but you gained the advantage that people won't look at you with scorn in their eyes.

And you don't have to argue with the geniuses who want to inform you that "electricity has to come from somewhere". :roll:

I'm interested in flipping the mudflaps around, but have two concerns:

1. I'm leasing my Leaf. Can the mudflaps be attached on the front without doing any damage that would affect the end of lease transfer?

2. Has anyone who has done this, or who simply doesn't have mudflaps on, noticed more stone chips on the lower side of the car (or especially just behind the wheel wells) compared to with mudflaps on?

Thanks!

Fred, can you post some pictures, please?

Wennfred said:
Well guys, guess what... It works! Saw 4.2 from 3.8 wirh just the front on, installed them yesterday and took my normal trip to work last night, GIDs were 203 at start and normally arrive with 128 GIDs, this time I ended with 140 GIDs, average KWh was 4.1, again that's up from 3.8 kWh.

I haven't covered the front Grill next, that will be my Project today when I get home.

Install was easy and fast, didn't have to drill a screw on the side but the Bolt on the bottom and 2 screws into the black plastic wheel well, I will put a nice thin sheet of 3M clear tape over it to prevent any hard wind on the edge of the mud flap, with the bolt underneath its holding pretty tight.

Tires are Nokian eTyres normally at 50 PSI, I'm sure they were lower PSI last night, will check it later and run the test tonight with the Grill covered.

4.2 from 3.8, will post results on the way home later.

Fred

Again:

Drees did a test with the grill covered which would have had more of an effect than re-positioning
the mud flaps and found basically NO benefit!

lorenfb said:
Again:

Drees did a test with the grill covered which would have had more of an effect than re-positioning
the mud flaps and found basically NO benefit!
Yeah, but it wasn't very scientific. I welcome others' experiments and data. Go for it!

If you're looking for something that can be removed, try 3M body tape - usually used to hold on various body molding parts and stuff, but can be removed with dental floss in most cases and then Goo-Gone to remove the residue.

msbriggs said:
I'm interested in flipping the mudflaps around, but have two concerns:

1. I'm leasing my Leaf. Can the mudflaps be attached on the front without doing any damage that would affect the end of lease transfer?

2. Has anyone who has done this, or who simply doesn't have mudflaps on, noticed more stone chips on the lower side of the car (or especially just behind the wheel wells) compared to with mudflaps on?

Thanks!

I don't have mud flaps. No stone chips on lower side, a few on the front hood though.

I have done a fair amount of aeromodding, and there are lots of factors: some mods are very small on their own, but they add up to something more significant in combination with other changes. The smooth flat wheel covers for example, may smooth out the air flow around the wheel openings enough for the deflector (spats or strakes) to have a noticeable effect. Another factor is wind conditions and the air temperature, and how long you test for. If you have a baseline of data, and then you run for a long enough time with the aeromods, you will see a change in the consumption that can negate things like wind and temperature.

And lastly, sometimes the gains come after you learn to change your driving to take full advantage of the changes - lower drag means the car coasts better, but if you are not already coasting at all, then you won't see very much change for a relatively small modification.

Here is the thread on the aeromods I did to my Scion xA: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xa-aero-mods-2969.html

Yes, you can compare my unmodified Leaf (but I ecodrive all the time):

[click on image for link]

Compared to the OP's energy log:

[click on image for link]

Our 90 day averages are 139.7MPGe vs 150.8MPGe. Obviously, we are different drivers in different parts of the country, and he tows a trailer some of the time (which he notes in the comment section). I also correct my odometer (reducing it by 1.7%) because I know the stock 16" tires are slightly smaller and that is the calibration factor I got this spring.

So roughly an 8% improvement on the 90 day average, and very similar improvement on the best charge. These are minimal aero improvements. With rear wheel skirts and a well formed Kamm back, and with side video mirrors, I think it would be at least 25% up to about 30% improvement.

Edit: I have had the dash meter reading 5.5 miles / kWh for several weeks, and yesterday I had to drive into Boston, and it dropped to 5.4. You can compare this to your meters, and maybe aero mods might be more than an 8% improvement.

lkkms2 said:
I don't have mud flaps. No stone chips on lower side, a few on the front hood though.
I also have some chips on the front; not much one can do about other cars kicking up sand and gravel. Even with mud flaps one gets mud on the sides, although it is somewhat reduced from what it would be without them:

14266451210_e47c317735.jpg

Well here are my long term stats with notations.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=8836

The most recent entries are with spats and partial grille block at 75 mph air conditioning blasting (without wheel disc hubcaps) on an 90 f day 200 mile road trip with 3 quick charges battery peaked at 122. Or about 30 f above ambient!

The really low entries are hauling dirt or hay on a one tone trailer.

Nearly 50% over stock at 75 mph bombing down the freeway is pretty nice!

graph8836.gif

thesheriff said:
So can anyone who has tried the mods give an indication of miles gained?
I did this mod 3 months ago, been collecting a lot of data since. Sad to say, nothing in any of the data suggest this is working. Any small percentage of gain is random and never consistent, or as we like to say "no statistical significance". I think the problem is deflecting air slightly around the front is not enough, more research needs to be put into what it would really take to reduce the air resistance of the Leaf (and on the cheap with parts we can actually all get somewhere). :(

This is just for the mud-flap flipping, haven't tried blocking the front vents (well it was summer, I need my AC to work)

Advantage or not the mudflaps just look so stoooopid on these cars. Ive collected real world data that shows the cars look much better lol

Which is a real challenge with these cars.

Back