All Blink installs on hold because of LADWP???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
91040 said:
mogur said:
Here is what I heard back from Eddie... Left unsaid is what would happen financially if the install cost was over $2,000, which is almost a certainty in my area with underground utilities. Regardless, I am, of course, still going to politely decline to install a second meter...

Hi Tom,
We will eventually need to come back out & install a 2nd meter that will tie into your existing panel even though your EVSE was installed prior to the current LADWP rebate process. It is not a duel meter adaptor but a new meter can. This will be at no cost to you. As far as the solar questions that should be directed to LADWP. We will need for all LADWP customers to sign the new RPA that has been sent out in order for us {ECOtality} to collect the rebates that we have covered. Thank you for your cooperation on this & please feel free to call me anytime to discuss.

Regards

Eddie Blair
Ecotality North America."

It is hard to imagine why anyone with solar would agree to this.
I am near certain that it is NOT a requirement for those with solar who already have a TOU whole house meter.

It is not a duel meter adaptor but a new meter can. This will be at no cost to you.

Does "no cost to you" mean no $8 per month service charge? I doubt it. That $8 per month charge was a main factor in us not wanting the second meter.

Kataphn said:
It is not a duel meter adaptor but a new meter can. This will be at no cost to you.

Does "no cost to you" mean no $8 per month service charge? I doubt it. That $8 per month charge was a main factor in us not wanting the second meter.

In April, I was told clearly by LADWP rate manager, that if you have solar, and have a TOU meter, and got a second TOU meter, there would be NO second service charge. You could not use the solar to offset the electric usage of the charging the car.

I do not know if DWP would forgo the second service charge ($8) if you have residential service on your house and a TOU meter only on your EVSE. That is not my circumstance, so I did not ask.

thankyouOB said:
91040 said:
mogur said:
Here is what I heard back from Eddie... Left unsaid is what would happen financially if the install cost was over $2,000, which is almost a certainty in my area with underground utilities. Regardless, I am, of course, still going to politely decline to install a second meter...

Hi Tom,
We will eventually need to come back out & install a 2nd meter that will tie into your existing panel even though your EVSE was installed prior to the current LADWP rebate process. It is not a duel meter adaptor but a new meter can. This will be at no cost to you. As far as the solar questions that should be directed to LADWP. We will need for all LADWP customers to sign the new RPA that has been sent out in order for us {ECOtality} to collect the rebates that we have covered. Thank you for your cooperation on this & please feel free to call me anytime to discuss.

Regards

Eddie Blair
Ecotality North America."

It is hard to imagine why anyone with solar would agree to this.
I am near certain that it is NOT a requirement for those with solar who already have a TOU whole house meter.

It may be hard to imagine, but that seems to be the reality. For some reason, Ecotality is now requiring a separated dedicated TOU meter for EV charging. Coincidentally, their updated agreement also requires the LADWP customer to turn over any LADWP rebate they get. Coincidentally, to qualify for the LADWP rebate, you must get the second, dedicated TOU meter.

yoobb said:
It may be hard to imagine, but that seems to be the reality. For some reason, Ecotality is now requiring a separated dedicated TOU meter for EV charging. Coincidentally, their updated agreement also requires the LADWP customer to turn over any LADWP rebate they get. Coincidentally, to qualify for the LADWP rebate, you must get the second, dedicated TOU meter.

It is not the reality.
Both Ecotality and LADWP have told me that with solar and an existing TOU whole house meter, you do not need a second TOU meter. You have to insist on it with Ecotality.
You do NOT qualify for the LADWP rebate but you do get the EV kwh reduction of 2.5 cents for up to 500 kWh per month.

OPTION 2: Residential Time-of-Use with EV Discount

Residential customers who are on the Residential Time-of-Use Rate for their entire household, including the EV charger, can receive the EV discount of 2.5 cents per kWh on up to 500 kWh per month of night and weekend (off-peak) energy use. As described above, the Time-of-Use rates are based on when the electricity is used, unlike the standard rate that varies according to how much energy is used. This option is most suited for customers who already consume most of their energy during off-peak hours—on weeknights or anytime on weekends. Customers who elect this rate option may receive substantial savings if they charge their EV and use most of their household electricity during these off-peak hours.

Click here for the current Residential Time-of-Use Rate (scroll down to “Rate B”).

that is from this page at DWP:
http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp014298.jsp

thankyouOB said:
It is not the reality.
Both Ecotality and LADWP have told me that with solar and an existing TOU whole house meter, you do not need a second TOU meter. You have to insist on it with Ecotality.
You do NOT qualify for the LADWP rebate but you do get the EV kwh reduction of 2.5 cents for up to 500 kWh per month.
This is correct. However, Ecotality is changing the program for those who signed up previous to the LADWP rebate.

Why is Ecotality requiring people with existing installations to sign the new agreement and install a 2nd meter retroactively whether they want it or not?
Why isn't a simple side letter to the original agreement being used for the 2nd meter?
What if you plan to add solar at a later date?
Why isn't the installation credit $3200 ($1200 from original Ecotality agreement; $2000 from the LADWP rebate)?

I requested a waiver from the 2nd meter because I have solar electric. I have not received a reply. There is no assurance that Ecotality will not require me to sign the new agreement and install the 2nd meter. The estimate for the 2nd meter would cost me about $500 over the credit they are allowing. The location is about as easy an install as you could imagine.

I asked EV Project participants from other areas if they were being required to sign a new agreement at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=692&start=550 but little response so far.

Back