All EV Rally, BC2BC-2013, 1500 miles from Canada to Mexico

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hope those Nissan dealerships can get it together with respect to their DCQC installs. That would make crossing California much more swift: there are dealers in Redding, Chico, Yuba City and throughout the Sacramento area then more down along highway 99.

leec said:
I really hope those Nissan dealerships can get it together with respect to their DCQC installs. That would make crossing California much more swift: there are dealers in Redding, Chico, Yuba City and throughout the Sacramento area then more down along highway 99.
Did you see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=259564#p259564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; re: Redding?

At the south SJ meet w/Tim Gallagher of Nissan there, FalconFour was pleading for charging infrastructure in/around Fresno. I don't recall him getting a satisfactory response from Tim. I wasn't listening closely though as that wasn't something that interests or affects me.

TonyWilliams said:
Here is the "north California" section that will prove challenging for our LEAF competitors. The big fat arrows are suggested locations for generators / chargers.

Both Ashland, Oregon and Calistoga, California have DC CHAdeMO fast chargers:

(elevation profile image redacted)
@Tony: Remember that Yreka has a Tesla Roadster proprietary EVSE at the Comfort Inn. The owner also owns the Motel 6 in Oakland, OR (Rice Hill) with an Aerovironment DCFC. I had transmitted that info to you back in June during my BC2BC return. Might be worth calling the Comfort Inn owner, see where his interest lie. :)

LEAFer said:
TonyWilliams said:
Here is the "north California" section that will prove challenging for our LEAF competitors. The big fat arrows are suggested locations for generators / chargers.

Both Ashland, Oregon and Calistoga, California have DC CHAdeMO fast chargers:

(elevation profile image redacted)
@Tony: Remember that Yreka has a Tesla Roadster proprietary EVSE at the Comfort Inn. The owner also owns the Motel 6 in Oakland, OR (Rice Hill) with an Aerovironment DCFC. I had transmitted that info to you back in June during my BC2BC return. Might be worth calling the Comfort Inn owner, see where his interest lie. :)

I was talking to many of the folks you forwarded to me just yesterday, I've talked directly with Nissan considering support, called and emailed all the government players, etc.

I'll start working on the southern "No Man's Land" from SF Bay to downtown LA.

Contacted media at ZERO motorcycle (CHAdeMO equipped EV bikes) and Mitsubishi.

Maybe I'll try BMW, but certainly I can understand why they would want to get smoked by lowly LEAFs and iMievs.

TonyWilliams said:
Maybe I'll try BMW, but certainly I can understand why they would want to get smoked by lowly LEAFs and iMievs.
Excuse me! I've been contemplating a formal entry, but not able to commit just yet. Would like to collaborate on official BMW support in one way or another. There could be other drivers from the program interested in this. It would be good to set up an event or make an announcement in the FB group and on the BMW-sponsored forum.
bc2bcmnl

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
Excuse me! I've been contemplating a formal entry, but not able to commit just yet. Would like to collaborate on official BMW support in one way or another. There could be other drivers from the program interested in this. It would be good to set up an event or make an announcement in the FB group and on the BMW-sponsored forum.
bc2bcmnl

Good idea. Yes, I'll post something there.

I think we should get a website together for this.

I've registered bc2bc.info and am working on pointing it at a page on Google Sites. Happy to point it elsewhere.

TonyWilliams said:
Here's the next challenge, San Jose (Sunnyvale) to Los Angeles. Note that all except King City have Nissan dealers:

BC2BCsunnyvale2losAngelesElevationProfilecopy_zpsaae769b5.jpg
Tony, any reason you're only going Sunnyvale-Gilroy, and not Sunnyvale-Salinas? Other than there being Tesla superchargers in Gilroy.

GRA said:
Tony, any reason you're only going Sunnyvale-Gilroy, and not Sunnyvale-Salinas? Other than there being Tesla superchargers in Gilroy.

Yes, there is. We can go (in a LEAF or Mitsubishi iMiev) from Salinas to Paso Robles, and certainly not San Luis Obispo, so either there's no particular advantage to Salinas... there still would have to be a King City.

Then, it comes done to whether Gilroy is an advantage or disadvantage, and I do see an advantage as a common collection point for ALL cars, including Model S.

And that's why Gilroy. I'm not opposed to Salinas, as it's only 67 miles away from Sunnyvale, but then it's only 47 miles to King City, and still one Lonnnnnnnnng uphill climb to San Luis Obisbo. If the driver can wisely manage their power for 54 miles until Paso Robles, then the easy 30 mile descent into San Luis Obisbo.

Between SLO and SBA at over 90 miles will likely require some juice somewhere (Solvang?) to complete the trip.

I live just 26 miles from the start point and am very familiar with the area. Although I don't intend to participate, this will be great to watch! Is there anything I can do to help out?

Count me in! Is there a dedicated website for this rally?

I've been plotting possible routes. It looks fairly easy until I get to Red Bluff but to go past there I only see the Thunderhill Raceway as a possible charging location. After a couple of emails I'm not convinced that something can be worked out. They hold events almost every day of the year so the outlets are probably in use.

Luft said:

no, but there is a countdown timer... http://40536085mu.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13814-The-TESLIVE-countdown-timer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and there is this thread you are reading now, and also this thread on the Tesla site : http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8936-All-EV-Rally-BC-2-BC-(Canada-2-Mexico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)-June-2013

palmermd said:
Luft said:

no, but there is a countdown timer... http://40536085mu.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13814-The-TESLIVE-countdown-timer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and there is this thread you are reading now, and also this thread on the Tesla site : http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8936-All-EV-Rally-BC-2-BC-(Canada-2-Mexico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)-June-2013

I was thinking more of a place where we could discuss possible routes through difficult areas. For me at least there are areas in northern California that appear choke points. The area south of Red Bluff seems particularly challenging. I'll be taking my LEAF and I do have a modified EVSE so that I should be able to use RV parks. But after talking to some of the RV park managers I'm not convinced that they should be listed on PlugShare. They don't seem to be very enthusiastic about allowing EVs to charge.

Do we have a finalized list of check points yet? Planning is critical. We should ALL have the exact check points in time to do adequate planning.

="Luft" ...The area south of Red Bluff seems particularly challenging. I'll be taking my LEAF and I do have a modified EVSE so that I should be able to use RV parks. But after talking to some of the RV park managers I'm not convinced that they should be listed on PlugShare. They don't seem to be very enthusiastic about allowing EVs to charge.

I'd suggest you designate a SINGLE representative for any given region, and have them contact the businesses to discuss access, pricing, and charge scheduling for all locations you plan to use.

As I previously posted on another thread, for this region, use recargo for more reliable reports than PlugShare.

Please do not torment the RV park manager by individually phoning them to ask about charging months in advance. You will undoubtedly annoy them, and may poison the well for those of us who depend on them for our necessary travel charging, as well as effectively destroy them as charge sources for your (IMO) rather silly endeavour.

edatoakrun said:
="Luft" ...The area south of Red Bluff seems particularly challenging. I'll be taking my LEAF and I do have a modified EVSE so that I should be able to use RV parks. But after talking to some of the RV park managers I'm not convinced that they should be listed on PlugShare. They don't seem to be very enthusiastic about allowing EVs to charge.

I'd suggest you designate a SINGLE representative for any given region, and have them contact the businesses to discuss access, pricing, and charge scheduling for all locations you plan to use.

As I previously posted on another thread, for this region, use recargo for more reliable reports than PlugShare.

Please do not torment the RV park manager by individually phoning them to ask about charging months in advance. You will undoubtedly annoy them, and may poison the well for those of us who depend on them for our necessary travel charging, as well as effectively destroy them as charge sources for your (IMO) rather silly endeavour.
Right... Requesting pricing information about services that they allegedly offer in advance of showing up at there establishment is “tormenting” them and a “silly endeavor” … My bad.

Anybody who wishes to show up anywhere from beginning to end it absolutely welcome (except for the extremely low numbers of haters).

Yes, there will be a dedicated website. I paid for the hosting a few days ago. I think http://www.BC2BC.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has been reserved, and hopefully we can use it.

The final check points will depend on what many things, but first I want to get specific support from certain entities that I've been working with. I suspect I will know what support will be available in a few weeks and then we will be able to finalize checkpoints.

Certainly, plan, plan, plan. And pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!! :mrgreen:

Thanks Tony! You do good work.
TonyWilliams said:
Anybody who wishes to show up anywhere from beginning to end it absolutely welcome (except for the extremely low numbers of haters).

Yes, there will be a dedicated website. I paid for the hosting a few days ago. I think http://www.BC2BC.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has been reserved, and hopefully we can use it.

The final check points will depend on what many things, but first I want to get specific support from certain entities that I've been working with. I suspect I will know what support will be available in a few weeks and then we will be able to finalize checkpoints.

Certainly, plan, plan, plan. And pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!! :mrgreen:

Back