All of the Sudden, I'm Seeing (Being Seen By) Lots of Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlich18

I am in the West Los Angeles, Santa Monica area.

Until last weekend I had not seen any Leafs on the road except one parked on the street.

Starting this last weekend, I have seen several. Actually found myself stopped at a traffic light next to a Leaf on two separate occasions. We were rolling our windows down and comparing notes. In addition I have spotted Leafs on 3 other occasions in the last week.

It must be the new "Leaf Wave" campaign. :lol:

Laguna beach has been a favorite hunting ground for LEAFs now. I am starting to figure out the general location of a few owners.

Funny thing is someone came up to me last week interested in the car. Says it was the first one he had seen. Was really surprised when I told him we had the car for six months and done 6000 miles of driving.

I saw four last Friday in the Silicon Valley. Usually it's one or two per day. There was a point where I was seeing Volts as often as Leafs, but now Leafs are more and more prevalent.

I had the closest encounter to my home this afternoon, not counting friends who are LEAFers. I passed a red one that I didn't recognize a block from my house. :)

He didn't wave back though. :cry:

Maybe that was because I just gave him the "regular" wave. Apparently, according to Nissan's FB page, the "Live Long and Prosper" wave is leading in the vote count. Are we really that nerdy? And how many of us can do that split finger thing on a moment's notice, without using both hands? :lol:

Boomer23 said:
Maybe that was because I just gave him the "regular" wave. Apparently, according to Nissan's FB page, the "Live Long and Prosper" wave is leading in the vote count. Are we really that nerdy? And how many of us can do that split finger thing on a moment's notice, without using both hands? :lol:
Thankfully Nissan's isn't recommending Colbert's long "tree-hugger" wave ;)

Boomer23 said:
Apparently, according to Nissan's FB page, the "Live Long and Prosper" wave is leading in the vote count. Are we really that nerdy? And how many of us can do that split finger thing on a moment's notice, without using both hands? :lol:
Me! :)

I have never seen another Leaf on the street but someone named Tom followed me home in his Prius to tell me he just picked up his Leaf :)

I can remember back in 2005 when we bought a Prius , there were very few on the road,now they are everywhere..

evnow said:
Boomer23 said:
Thankfully Nissan's isn't recommending Colbert's long "tree-hugger" wave ;)

I tried that wave... then remembered to get back to the task of actually driving.

IMHO, LEAF drivers do not need a gimmick like this. Just let the community do things organically and with real meaning. If a unique wave grows from it then fine.

I live in Shoreline (WA) and there's now a black LEAF on my street, 2 blocks down. Yesterday at a store 5 blocks away the clerk came out to greet me only to say "Oh, it's you." He told me the customer who had just left was also driving (a Blue Ocean) one just like mine and at 1st thought that customer had come back for some reason.

I'm seeing a lot of LEAF's now too, and a simple wave of the hand or thumbs up seems to be just fine with everyone.

Still not seen another LEAF in my neighborhood around Angels Camp, nor on my commute to Rancho Cordova. Just my reflection in the shiny gasoline tanker truck that I see every once in awhile. :D

Yesterday, another Leaf parked behind me in downtown Mountain View, CA. But isn't that redundant--since they seem to have gazillions of EVs in that town? But the best wave I got was a thumbs-up from a trailer-hauling bicyclist in Berkeley. Reminded me I need to be on my bicycle more.

last weekend I was at the parking lot under the Century Theatre in Redwood City and found 2 other (identically colored) Leafs parking in my spot! :lol:

smkettner said:
I have yet to see another LEAF in motion or parked in a general spot.
I have only seen other LEAFs at an event or charging station.
I've seen other LEAFs on the road, but not many in parking lots. When I /did/ see another LEAF parked a couple weeks ago, I had to go out of my way to park next to it. :D

285166_10150236529660044_717875043_7749897_4205010_n.jpg

I'm seeing Leafs all the time.

Today i went with a co-worker to lunch (because he wanted a ride in my Leaf). We went to Roberto's on Carmel Valley Road, just up from Torrey Pines beach. We parked around back, went in and ordered, then grabbed a table in the seating area out front. Parked at the curb right next to us was another blue Leaf!

Going back to work, we passed a silver one.

Yesterday, heading home on the I-5 northbound, there was a red Leaf a few car lengths ahead of me. Couldn't catch up; he stayed in the right lane to get off at Via De La Valle.

Going to Trader Joe's a few days ago, I passed a black one heading the other way on Encinitas blvd. When I got into the parking lot, there was a red one parked in front of Peet's coffee.

Amazing change from the days--not so long ago--when I wondered when I'd see my first one!

Back