An end to range anxiety?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desertstraw

New energy storage device could recharge electric vehicles in minutes

August 19th, 2011 in Nanotechnology / Nanophysics
New energy storage device could recharge electric vehicles in minutes

Compared with supercapacitors and batteries, SMCs (with three different electrode thicknesses shown) offer both a high power density and high energy density. Image copyright: Jang, et al. ©2011 American Chemical Society

(PhysOrg.com) -- It has all the appearances of a breakthrough in battery technology, except that it’s not a battery. Researchers at Nanotek Instruments, Inc., and its subsidiary Angstron Materials, Inc., in Dayton, Ohio, have developed a new paradigm for designing energy storage devices that is based on rapidly shuttling large numbers of lithium ions between electrodes with massive graphene surfaces. The energy storage device could prove extremely useful for electric vehicles, where it could reduce the recharge time from hours to less than a minute. Other applications could include renewable energy storage (for example, storing solar and wind energy) and smart grids.

This article from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/08/jang-20110811.html

Looks very promising if it works out The application for this high energy batteries is low cost hybrids, think Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes using 4 cylinder engines with no reduction in performance. Perhaps it will be good for BEVs also.

One thing that's always bothered me about being able to recharge quickly is the amount of power that is transferred in a very short time. For example 20 kwh in 10 minutes means power has to be supplied at 120 kw, a 1000 volt charger would have to operate at 120 amps. Way too high for residential wiring, so a commercial recharge facility is necessary, and even so in view of the high power involved, special provisions to protect users.

There is one of these every month, I'll get excited once there is a product release date rather than PR releases which are a dime a dozen. Of the hundreds I have seen in the last seven years I have yet to see a single product release yet. Not exactly real news until it is a reality on the market vs PR and research. It does not take a ton of technology to charge at high rates, only to store it and supply it.

There is very little need for 30 minute charges at home, but I can see a use for a portable L3 charger at 12kw of power.

I think the fast charging mania will eventually go the way of range anxiety.. once you drive the car for a few months it just goes away.

I think in the same way I need no gas station at home, I also can
live without L3 charging at home.

Eventually seeing public L3 charging stations would be nice though...

The problem isn't ability to charge very fast. LiTi already offers that (see SCiB from Toshiba). The problem as we are seeing is fast charging infrastructure.

What we actually need are higher density batteries at lower cost.

Back