Another way to get the word out (Woodinville EV party)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproqitman

I was at this event yesterday: Woodinville driveway party shows off electric cars

A fun, low-key way for the curious to see the cars and talk with the owners. My wife and I were there for about an hour, with our red SL. There were a half-dozen LEAFs (including Jim's), several Teslas, and a couple of RAV4 EVs. I talked with 6-8 people, my wife about the same. The questions were polite, for the most part. There is a large group of people out there genuinely interested in EVs and have valid concerns about range, cost, convenience.

Events like these could go a long ways towards bridging the gap with this next group of potential buyers. Chad Schwitters, from Plug In America, is assembling a kit to help others host similar events. I ended up behind Chad (in his Tesla), at a stoplight on the way to the event. He dusted me when the light turned green, but I was a close second and third was a long way back.

Ditto! That was a great grass roots building event that my family and even my TDI brother-in-law was interested in attending. My wife got to drive LEAF owner "Bob's" new car and instantly became a convinced spouse. There were so many people there we were clogging the road milling about gawking at the vehicles. Boy were we happy the low speed "alert" sound works because one of the Black LEAFs left and I did not hear anything behind me but for the pedestrian alert sound. I also got a ride in the host's white LEAF and he commented that the Carwings had received an update in the last 10 days or so and had improved accounting of charging stations available he knew of in the area.

Dang it, I didn't even know this was happening! I would have loved to come out and bring my Ranger.
When is the next one? Where was this posted at that this was happening?

Funny thing is there was an electric Ranger (Yellow) on display.
I think this event was publicized in "Plug-in-America" as well as the Seattle Electric Vehicle owners group. We got an e-mail from our solar PV installers about this get together demo, so perhaps Puget Sound Solar is another place to check with for more info.

I also had a great time at this event. Thanks to Plug-in-America and Jim for hosting it!

My LEAF's now scheduled for July, so I hope it'll be here in time for NW SolarFest on July 16th. They'll have an "Electric Vehicles Only" area again this year, so I want to reserve a spot. I imagine this one will be the biggest contingent of EV's in the 8 year history of NW SolarFest.

TurboFroggy said:
Dang it, I didn't even know this was happening! I would have loved to come out and bring my Ranger.
When is the next one? Where was this posted at that this was happening?
The best source of EVent info in the Puget Sound area is the Seattle Electric Vehicle Association's event list: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjmhWJm5m8NSdDhmTlJRLUNTdXNhajd6VE1uVEdVcnc&hl=en#gid=0

There's also a Facebook group for Seattle-area LEAF owners that covers happenings in the area: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_162244573806988

Thanks, sproqitman.

I was pleased with how the party went. There were about 15 plug-in cars, and close to 300 curious people. A lot of people came with questions, and left with excitement. I really think we sold some Leafs. Thanks for everybody who brought cars! Especially Trevor, Tyler, Bob, Warren and Jim for the Leafs. (My Dad was supposed to bring his Leaf, but forgot!) And a huge thank-you to Jim and Michelle, the hosts.

There are a lot of people that are interested in plug-in vehicles, but have questions both because the cars are new and because there's an active disinformation campaign (check the comments section after any mainstream media article on electric vehicles--iincluding this one). Most people not only have never driven a plug-in vehicle, but they don't even know anybody that owns one. The cars are hard to find on dealer lots, and the salesmen haven't owned one. Most people aren't comfortable making a buying decision until they talk to owners and see the cars. These "electric driveway" parties are a fun way to get the word out.

I put together a virtual information kit for this party that we are refining, which we will have as a free download on our web site. Plug In America also has about 30,000 subscribers to our newsletter, so we can send an email blast inviting people to your party (no, not all 30k, just the local ones!). We can also provide banners, car guides, books and movies--and if you're in the right area, maybe even people to bring cars and answer questions. Let us know at [email protected] if you are interested in hosting one.

By the way, this particular party was advertised:
1. At James Billmaier's book talk at Town Hall about two months ago
2. To James' friends and neighbors
3. On the SEVA event list
4. To local Plug In America news subscribers
5. In the Woodinville local paper
6. On the Seattle Area Nissan Leaf Owners page on Facebook
7. To local Tesla owners
8. To my local FB friends

Thanks,
Chad Schwitters
Vice President, Plug In America
Event Coordinator, Seattle EV Association
2010 Tesla Roadster
2003 Toyota RAV4-EV
2005 Toyota Prius with a Hymotion PHEV conversion

Like a tree that falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, if it doesn't appear on Mynissanleaf, did it really occur?

Bud said:
Like a tree that falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, if it doesn't appear on Mynissanleaf, did it really occur?
While many LEAF buyers frequent Mynissanleaf, not all do. Plug In America is the nation's oldest and most effective EV advocacy org. Joining Plug In America enables us to reach more people and have an impact in all state and federal agencies that deal with EVs.

When Obama was developing his stimulus package after taking office, there was $2.4 billion allocated for plug-in vehicles. A huge improvement over the Bush years, to be sure, but we thought there was room for improvement. Our legislative director, Jay Friedland, teamed with a few others and effectively lobbied Senators and Representatives to increase the funds. Initially, the $7,500 tax credit was for the first 200,000 units industry wide. After Jay and his team were done, the number of cars affected grew to the first 200,000 units "per manufacturer". With additional funds set aside for charging infrastructure, this grew the pot to $14.1 billion.

This is why it's a good idea to support a group like Plug In America. You are all benefitting from PIA's great work.

Back