Any regular Pizza or other delivery drivers with Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBlue

I have had my SL since 10/31 and have used it for main work commute plus a Parttime pizza delivery in West Seattle. Very hilly area...

It's worked awesome! I average 20 miles per night delivery and 25 miles r/t commute on same charge. Until tonight where it rained (shocker in seattle i know) hard I get 3.4 miles kwh.

Any other pizza or regular repetitive delivery drivers out there?

My question is there any harm done by 20+ starting / stopping in short amounts of time? Starter faults long term? Other repetitive use issues potential ?

Yeah. You're probably going to have to replace the starter in about a year or so. :roll:

Seriously though, that's like asking if you're going to have more problems swimming in trunks than you had swimming in jeans. Electric cars don't care what you do with them when they're stopped. Stopping at the house of someone who ordered pizza is no different from stopping at a stop sign.

In fact I think Leaf is perfectly suited for this type of local delivery operations. Will save you big bucks in gas, as this type of stop and go slow speed driving will give poor mileage on a ICE, but is great for an EV.

I can only suggest, do not power off your Leaf when you are stopped in front of house for 5 minutes delivering Pizza. It is not that you are going to be burning gas :)

I was just curious if your buisness provided you access to an EVSE. It should still be easy to plug in for you with a QC's everywhere and a DCFC in the center of the city if you hapen to run low.
I also wanted to add that if you do leave leaf in the ready mode and walk away it can still be driven. I have never heard of anyone stealing a leaf but hey you never know if someone needs some free power for there house.

I had to replace a starter, water pump, wiper blades, battery, and boil out the radiator when I delivered pizza in my ICE years ago. I think it cost me more in gas and maintenance than I got in tips and extra pay to do the deliveries. You should save lots.

Thanks for input. Cool filmmaker...hope your movies are better than your analogies.

So leaving it in "ready" vs turn it off and on 20 times a night.... Hmmm...

I will try.

HairyCairy.

I sent my biz the link to consider a charging station. Not just me but patrons too.

QC everywhere? I know of one in upper Queen Ann near downtown. West Seattle only has one L2 at Walgreens near me. Free for now.

I have been fine trickle charging so far.

bryan38401 said:
if you leave leaf in ready mode and walk away with key fob in your pocket IT WILL NOT GO ANY WHERE!!
Oh yes it will. If you leave the LEAF in the ready state (little green car with arrows), in park with the brake on, it most certainly can be driven without the fob. At least in my 2011 with updated software, you can.

There is a warning on the dash that the key is not detected, but you can drive it. Of course, if the car is turned off, it can not be again started without the fob, but if it is taken to a chop shop, not a problem.

Bill

Plugshare says that (and I've seen it in person) that Gold Beach, OR features a GE Wattstation in use by Panthers Den Pizza & Deli. The owners use an I-Miev to deliver pizza.

ebill3 said:
bryan38401 said:
if you leave leaf in ready mode and walk away with key fob in your pocket IT WILL NOT GO ANY WHERE!!
Oh yes it will. If you leave the LEAF in the ready state (little green car with arrows), in park with the brake on, it most certainly can be driven without the fob. At least in my 2011 with updated software, you can.

There is a warning on the dash that the key is not detected, but you can drive it. Of course, if the car is turned off, it can not be again started without the fob, but if it is taken to a chop shop, not a problem.

Bill
Not just your 2011. ALL LEAFS can be driven without the fob, as long as left in READY mode. However, as soon as you turn it off, you are stuck. Unless the thief tows it, it won't be far away :D

mkjayakumar said:
...I can only suggest, do not power off your Leaf when you are stopped in front of house for 5 minutes delivering Pizza. It is not that you are going to be burning gas :)
This is what I do when patrolling my neighborhood roads for noxious weeds: leave the car on. Many stops, usually brief, so cycling the car on and off seems like more wear and tear on the e-systems. And I leave my USB music on while I work.

However, I don't have security concerns with the car being stolen, not going to happen here. If the car can be locked while still on—haven't tried it—that might be safer in a city.

ksnogas2112 said:
If you're concerned, throw the parking brake on. It won't drive with it on and you will eventually see the perp trying to figure it out.

It will drive...going forward or reverse, both the P and E brake will release. Try it!

ksnogas2112 said:
If you're concerned, throw the parking brake on. It won't drive with it on and you will eventually see the perp trying to figure it out.
As long as the driver has the seat belt connected, the parking brake will auto release.

Don't leave the car in the ready mode - just like leaving an ICE idling.

Ebill3. Thanks for input. It seems strange to leave it at ready of idol. Waste of juice in my mind.

Back to original question. Are there any e-brake, starter, or other concerns about repeated or increased full turn on / off (which is not what I do at stop signs)...
:roll:

You can still take the fob with you and lock the car with it in the ready position---At least a thief would have to break a window to get in to take it---Any thief that would go to that trouble with you standing at the door of a home for your delivery would probably take both you and the car anyway.

20 to 30 miles average for the early shift. Small delivery area. The bigger the area the colder the pizza.

I am the only EV in 250 drivers. Only a few hybrids. Lots of ice p.o.s's!

Kara's uses several LEAFs to deliver in the bay area and charges them on an evseupgrade. The LEAFs are fully rapped and look like custom paint. I see them often.

http://www.karascupcakes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back