Anybody commuting between San Ramon and San Jose in CA?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pswar

Any LEAF owner commuting between San Ramon and San Jose on interstate 680 all the way? I am in the market for a LEAF and wondering what's the range is like between San Ramon and San Jose in California, mainly to plan how i use LEAF. I have read this forum extensively but couldn't find any info related to this area specifically.

Appreciate if you share your info if you are in this area.

Thanks

No, but what part of SJ are you coming from? Will you have charging at your work?

I'm in south SJ and Google Maps for me says it's 49.7 miles, one way. There's NO way I'd drive a Leaf for that commute w/o workplace charging if it involves highway speeds. Even w/o highway speeds and no workplace charging would be dicey.

Have you looked at Tony's range chart at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

It depends what part of San Jose. I drive from Fremont to San Ramon and I use 5 to 6 bars already and that's with minimal traffic. The hills make it hard to drive and save energy. Perhaps no issue to Milpitas and 237 but South San Jose or Santa Clara, you may need to charge. There is a free charging in Target Fremont by Auto Mall which is halfway. 14 months with my Leaf and loving it.

Thanks both for responding.

Yes, we do have charging stations at work. I wouldn't even start thinking about LEAF without it.

My commute is from San Ramon to near downtown area in San Jose. A mile from highway 680/280.

@cwerdna Thanks for the link to Tony's range chart. I am reading it now.

Google map shows my commute as ~39miles one way.

I don't commute, but have driven to Walnut Creek from south San Jose many times. I usually stop at the San Ramon QC on one side or the other depending on my schedule. I usually have 4 bars on the upside at San Ramon or 1-2 bars on the backside there.

Hypermiling techniques are useful on this route.

pswar said:
Yes, we do have charging stations at work. I wouldn't even start thinking about LEAF without it.

My commute is from San Ramon to near downtown area in San Jose. A mile from highway 680/280.
pswar said:
Google map shows my commute as ~39miles one way.
As long as those charging stations are reliable or you can use reliable alternatives, if they're down (and you can charge to 100% at home), I think you're probably fine.

Maybe you can use Google Earth to plot the net elevation change (http://priuschat.com/threads/google-earth-can-give-you-an-elevation-profile-of-a-route-between-2-points.100653/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?

Rent one for a week and see how it performs in the traffic you will actually experience?

I looked for LEAF rental, none available in my area. Only option is SFO and they too only available for one or two days here and there, seems demand is high.

[ quote="planet4ever"]
srl99 said:
Rent one for a week and see how it performs in the traffic you will actually experience?
Funny!! Good luck renting a LEAF anywhere close to San Ramon. Possibly San Francisco, but that's on the other side of the bay and hardly convenient.

Ray[/quote]

It will be hysterical to get the vehicle and find out you can't reliably make the trip. Try different days,times and weather (rain!)

pswar said:
...I am in the market for a LEAF and wondering what's the range is like between San Ramon and San Jose in California...
You have to be certain that you'll never be called home on an emergency within about four hours of arriving at work to allow for charging time to make it home. A 55 mile freeway trip from 100% charge is about my comfortable limit - in my 20-month-old car in the SF bay winter and assuming 65-70mph driving.

@DeaneG
That's a good point. Yes, that is the compromise i have to make with LEAF. You definitely making me think about it.
I guess if that kind of need arises then i would have to barrow a car or take taxi home. I'd have similar situation if i carpool with somebody.

I do understand that there are some real limitations but i have lot of interest in trying this new technology. On top of it, i will only be trying this for 3 years and deals are really nice.

Thanks for responding...it's helpful.

Back