Anyone added water to 12v battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I added a little distilled water and cleaned the top of the battery with baking soda solution because I saw evidence of gassing after 3 months in the desert. It is deceptive to check the level looking through the translucent case because (at least on my battery) you cannot see the liquid. The plates are dark colored so it looks way low. When I removed the vent caps, I found that it was not down much, but I added a little to each cell to bring them back up to maximum level.

Even though I am certain the original will last a long time because the temperature under the hood is much lower than an ICE car, I want to reduce the possibility of corrosion in the vicinity of the battery so I am looking for an AGM of the correct physical size and ampere-hour rating.

Gerry

DrillbabyDrill said:
It's NOT a sealed unit? I thought all modern batteries were. wtf?

I'll be swapping the OEM battery out for one of these since my Leaf will have both an APRS transponder unit (24/7) and a dual-band ham radio VHF/UHF rig.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/applications/auto.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found shining a flashlight behind the battery makes it easier to see the water level from the front of the translucent battery case.

CWO4Mann said:
DrillbabyDrill said:
It's NOT a sealed unit? I thought all modern batteries were. wtf?

I'll be swapping the OEM battery out for one of these since my Leaf will have both an APRS transponder unit (24/7) and a dual-band ham radio VHF/UHF rig.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/applications/auto.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would use one of these from Optima, if they will fit?

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/index.php

Speaking of the 12V battery, is it warranted for a Free replacement within three years? I don't recall any maintenance item to check the water level.

LEAFfan said:
Speaking of the 12V battery, is it warranted for a Free replacement within three years? I don't recall any maintenance item to check the water level.
Warranty Booklet, page 26. Full replacement within 2 years, pro-rated from 2 to 7 :eek: years. My guess is they're going to have to cough up a lot of new batteries for folks in AZ and parts of TX.

Ray

planet4ever said:
LEAFfan said:
Warranty Booklet, page 26. Full replacement within 2 years, pro-rated from 2 to 7 :eek: years. My guess is they're going to have to cough up a lot of new batteries for folks in AZ and parts of TX.
Ray

Yeah, been out here 14 years and have gone through 7 batteries with my ICEs. I haven't met anyone with an ICE car that has been able to get 3 years. It will be interesting to see if the lower loads (no starter motor) and the cooler motor bay will extend its life. I'm going to check the battery's fluid later today. This could be the FIRST battery in AZ I've had go 3 years or more.

The LEAF and Prius use the same form factor and there is going to be a high performance replacement made from Optima or Hawker I believe. The terminals are the same so it will work on both cars.

GerryAZ said:
Yes, I added a little distilled water and cleaned the top of the battery with baking soda solution because I saw evidence of gassing after 3 months in the desert. It is deceptive to check the level looking through the translucent case because (at least on my battery) you cannot see the liquid. The plates are dark colored so it looks way low. When I removed the vent caps, I found that it was not down much, but I added a little to each cell to bring them back up to maximum level.
In a hot climate where it is already pushing electrolyte out the top you are better off to run the water level on the low side of normal.

I noticed that Optima has a new AGM battery for the prius. Will this fit in the Leaf??
http://shop.optimabatteries.com/products/productdetail/part_number=DS46B24R/1737.0.1.1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Leaf and Prius reportedly use the same size battery so the answer is likely yes. However, since it is still a lead-acid battery (AGM batteries are just a different style of that, in essence), what would be the point unless yours had died out of warranty...

myleaf said:
I noticed that Optima has a new AGM battery for the prius. Will this fit in the Leaf??
http://shop.optimabatteries.com/products/productdetail/part_number=DS46B24R/1737.0.1.1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVDRIVER said:
The LEAF and Prius use the same form factor and there is going to be a high performance replacement made from Optima or Hawker I believe. The terminals are the same so it will work on both cars.
What would be advantage for the Leaf?

Back