April Consumer Reports Ten Top Picks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

I just noticed this in my library's free online magazines:

Consumer Reports
10 TOP PICKS
THE LEAF PROVES that not all electric cars command high prices. This swoopy hatchback comes with a 40-kWh battery, an EPA-rated 149-mile range with the standard version, and an attractive sub-$30,000 price, even before incentives. But the Leaf model to fall for is the 60-kWh “Plus” version. The Plus has an EPA-rated 212-mile range and is quicker, shaving a second off the 0 to 60 mph time. With either configuration, the ride is soft and the cabin is quiet. The driving position is a hint higher than you might expect, giving a good view of the road. BSW, LDW, LKA, and rear cross traffic warning (RCTW) are standard. ProPilot Assist is optional.

OVERALL SCORE 70 ELECTRIC CAR $28,040-$36,040 Average RELIABILITY 212 MILES RANGE

house of hazards said:
I just noticed this in my library's free online magazines:

Consumer Reports
10 TOP PICKS
THE LEAF PROVES that not all electric cars command high prices. This swoopy hatchback comes with a 40-kWh battery, an EPA-rated 149-mile range with the standard version, and an attractive sub-$30,000 price, even before incentives. But the Leaf model to fall for is the 60-kWh “Plus” version. The Plus has an EPA-rated 212-mile range and is quicker, shaving a second off the 0 to 60 mph time. With either configuration, the ride is soft and the cabin is quiet. The driving position is a hint higher than you might expect, giving a good view of the road. BSW, LDW, LKA, and rear cross traffic warning (RCTW) are standard. ProPilot Assist is optional.

OVERALL SCORE 70 ELECTRIC CAR $28,040-$36,040 Average RELIABILITY 212 MILES RANGE

These details highlight some of the positive aspects of the Nissan Leaf, particularly in terms of affordability, range, performance, comfort, and safety features. If you are considering an electric car, the Leaf, particularly the 60-kWh "Plus" version, could be worth exploring further based on this review from Consumer Reports.

Yes. The automotive press, in its perpetual competition to both promote Cutting Edge technology and be sufficiently critical, has a strong tendency to favor cars like the Model 3 over cars like the Leaf, despite the former's shortcomings for older and more conservative drivers, and the latter's "user friendliness." If my housemate, for example, had been faced with the choice between driving A Bolt or Tesla and not driving an EV, she would, no question, be driving a Corolla.

I just hope this Consumer Reports article does not jinx my car. Over the years, the best vehicles and other products I have owned were rated low by CR while some of the worst items I have owned were rated highly. Probably because I understand routine maintenance and how to handle electronic stuff, I had great success with items and vehicles they rated low.

My LEAFs have all been reliable cars. I would not be on the third one if the first two had not been great vehicles for my local driving needs. I would likely still have the 2011 if it had not met its untimely demise.

I have yet to see a review of any EV that focuses on the EV-specific features that we all know are decisive, particularly if you live anywhere that gets snow, e.g. the presence of a heat pump, whether the EVSE is included in the purchase price, etc.

I'm not sure if they're just ignorant of the day-to-day factors, or if they're accommodating manufacturers that don't want to invest the money in these features. My guess is likely the latter.

I wouldn't consider any EV without a heat pump, for example, but I never can find any reference to one in a review.

Has anyone else noticed this?

frontrangeleaf said:
I have yet to see a review of any EV that focuses on the EV-specific features that we all know are decisive, particularly if you live anywhere that gets snow, e.g. the presence of a heat pump, whether the EVSE is included in the purchase price, etc.

I'm not sure if they're just ignorant of the day-to-day factors, or if they're accommodating manufacturers that don't want to invest the money in these features. My guess is likely the latter.

I wouldn't consider any EV without a heat pump, for example, but I never can find any reference to one in a review.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Now that you mention it . . . you bring up a good point.

Back