AZ/Phoenix battery temp bars and battery temp bar question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksnogas2112

I did some reading on the wiki and a quick search in the forum and I don't see a concise answer to the following question:

How many battery temp bars did/do Phoenix Leaf's see year round and how many during the worst heat Jun-Sep?

Also, weird situation for me, yesterday I was parked in the sun (as usual). The air temp was about 74* F but the battery temp bars were showing 6. Drove around at lunch and home and bars stayed at 6 even though relatively cool day. They were still at 6 this morning when I left the house with ambient outside temp of 58*F and garage temp of 71* F.

I have been driving almost exclusively in ECO lately since I'm trying to keep or improve my m/kWh at or above 6. <edit> I've also been driving longer (aka 20 min drive instead of 10 min) but at slower speeds for the same reason.

Question, does driving in ECO with that little bit of extra regen when the battery temp bars are 6 or higher add significant (aka worth worrying about) battery degradation?

ksnogas2112 said:
I did some reading on the wiki and a quick search in the forum and I don't see a concise answer to the following question:

How many battery temp bars did/do Phoenix Leaf's see year round and how many during the worst heat Jun-Sep?

Also, weird situation for me, yesterday I was parked in the sun (as usual). The air temp was about 74* F but the battery temp bars were showing 6. Drove around at lunch and home and bars stayed at 6 even though relatively cool day. They were still at 6 this morning when I left the house with ambient outside temp of 58*F and garage temp of 71* F.

I have been driving almost exclusively in ECO lately since I'm trying to keep or improve my m/kWh at or above 6. <edit> I've also been driving longer (aka 20 min drive instead of 10 min) but at slower speeds for the same reason.

Question, does driving in ECO with that little bit of extra regen when the battery temp bars are 6 or higher add significant (aka worth worrying about) battery degradation?

In early Spring, it is always 6 TBs unless I QC which will take it to 7-8. Late Spring like now with OAT in the mid to high 100s, 6 in the early morning, then 7-8 during the day. Yesterday, when it hit 109F, it went to 8 bars just while driving slow.
Absolutely not at all to your last question

If you want to get some good battery temp data, you need the leaf battery app by Turbo3.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ksnogas2112 said:
The six bars you saw in the morning were likely due to charging overnight. It is possible that your battery dropped down to five bars overnight and then reheated to 6 bars while charging.

I had a similar thing on Tuesday this week: It was 58F outside when I left the garage, but I had six battery temperature bars lit. Then after driving around a bit running errands, it dropped back down to five battery temperature bars with an outside temperature of around 64F.

I may have discovered something very interesting with the 2013 BP. A poster on the 'Lost Capacity Bar' thread said that when he hit 8TBs on his 2012, the highest TS was 118F on the LEAF Battery App. But when mine hit 8 TBs yesterday, my highest reading was 101F and the rest were around 99F. When I QCd for 30 min. to 90% a few weeks ago, I was at 7 TBs and it went to 9 with the highest TS at 112F. So I believe that the tweaking Nissan did keeps the BP at a lower temp. I wonder how that may keep it from losing a CB so soon.

LEAFfan said:
I may have discovered something very interesting with the 2013 BP. A poster on the 'Lost Capacity Bar' thread said that when he hit 8TBs on his 2012, the highest TS was 118F on the LEAF Battery App. But when mine hit 8 TBs yesterday, my highest reading was 101F and the rest were around 99F. When I QCd for 30 min. to 90% a few weeks ago, I was at 7 TBs and it went to 9 with the highest TS at 112F. So I believe that the tweaking Nissan did keeps the BP at a lower temp. I wonder how that may keep it from losing a CB so soon.
Perhaps I am not understanding your description, but it sounds to me like they just shifted the range so that you get more temperature bars at the same battery pack temperature.

RegGuheert said:
ksnogas2112 said:
The six bars you saw in the morning were likely due to charging overnight. It is possible that your battery dropped down to five bars overnight and then reheated to 6 bars while charging.
Yep. If the car was in the sun it could have easily warmed up enough that it would not cool down much in the warm garage. The pack needs to have at least one temp sensor under 75F for 5-temp bars (at least on my car). Driving around in 74F temps will heat the pack up to 80F and it simply does not cool down much unless there is a large temperature differential. With a garage temp of 71F, it's not going to get much cooler than 74F unless it started there.

Back