Battery Replacement Race with the Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was in that position, I'd be leaving it parked, plugged in all the time and running down the battery with the heater and/or A/C to pull down the charge. But I'm lucky, there are some fantastic hills around me where I could climb up and regen back down to build up heat and return home to charge up again.

I lost 1AHr and my 9th bar in winter in about 1000 miles of driving it like a taxi. I think with the warmer weather coming up you'll be fine. Lots of users have reported losing a capacity bar as it warms up.

If I were you I'd reduce my miles but not stop driving altogether. Drive it like you stole it, max acceleration, max regen wherever possible. Keep monitoring your stats. If you stop losing or start getting worried then you could park it up. Leave a buffer if necessary, but to me it sounds like you are on track to lose the 9th bar within your warranty period.

Well the fourth bar dropped for me at around 43.42 C. I guess I'll get the replacement done sooner rather than later.

DrillbabyDrill said:
Well the fourth bar dropped for me at around 43.42 C. I guess I'll get the replacement done sooner rather than later.
If I were in your shoes, if the Leaf's range w/4 bars gone is tolerable, I'd wait until close to the end of the 5 years/60K miles to get it replaced, so that you "get your money's worth" from the current pack.

Battery degradation begins from the day it was manufactured. And, the later you do it should mean that the new pack is exposed for less time to summer heat.

cwerdna said:
DrillbabyDrill said:
If I were in your shoes, if the Leaf's range w/4 bars gone is tolerable, I'd wait until close to the end of the 5 years/60K miles to get it replaced, so that you "get your money's worth" from the current pack.

Battery degradation begins from the day it was manufactured. And, the later you do it should mean that the new pack is exposed for less time to summer heat.

Yes, I would give that advice for him too but... for those that were not a class member in the Klee verses Nissan there is a small risk that Nissan may not give a new battery and just repair it. They are currently giving new replacements to all but are not legally required to do so. If they have a change in policy for any reason (example: a lot of replacements) they may change that policy. I wasn't personally willing to take that risk myself. Certainly if I were a class member of that suit, I would have waited for sure, but it was also barely making its required distance for work.

cwerdna said:
DrillbabyDrill said:
Great advice cwerdna, but read the first post, he's there! Whooooooohoooo. Great news. Get that puppy replaced and enjoy you're new battery!

Back