Beep beep beep beep

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregH

Does anyone know how to disable the annoying beeps that persist (until the door is closed) if you happen to turn off the car with a door open?

GregH said:
Does anyone know how to disable the annoying beeps that persist (until the door is closed) if you happen to turn off the car with a door open?
Yes. Turn the car off first. It took me about 4 times before I stopped opening the door before I turned it off.

Anyone know what the reasoning for this is?

I mean, they must have SOME logical reason for beeping madly after you turn the car off, right?

You.. opened the door; you turned the car off.. so... ALERT! I'm not clear what action the car is asking for here. An apology?

How to turn the Beep off:
Press the Door-Closed Sensor Button, hold for
a fraction of a second, and release.

The LEAF will think you closed the door, so it will turn off the Beep.
Then, it allows you to "open the door" (again) without the beeping.

I never figured that one out. Maybe I should read the manual but, at a guess, isn't it trying to alert you to make sure you are taking your key with you if you are leaving?

Open door = Driver most likely leaving - Warning ensures that you don't leave in a hurry whilst the key is lying on the seat. Would it even lock in that state though? Hmm. I need to experiment a little I think.

It's a cultural thing. In Japan, the hyper-milers maximize their efficiency by not coming to a full stop until reaching the final destination (thus eliminating ALL friction braking). Therefore, car poolers are forced to learn the tuck-n-roll method of leaving the vehicle. This makes it challenging sometimes to close the door properly. So Nissan added this feature to let you know if any of your passengers failed to properly shut their door while executing their somersault. It is assumed that passengers that stayed for the entire trip will bask in the luxury of having the car stop for them and won't open the door until the car is off.

I'm convinced it's telling you to take your key out of the ignition. There's just too much evidence of the first run of a new technology vehicle like this where they just don't get all the details covered. Probably they were modifying the existing system and told the firmware guy that since there was no ignition switch, to come up with an alternative condition for the beeps. "Door open + key in" became "Door open + power on".

Another lost-to-history thing is that the beeps (four beeps, morse code for "H", right Gary?) was exclusively a Honda (hence the "H") thing. But I'm guessing some fresh-outta-college kids joined the engineering departments, and all they remembered was that "this is what cars do", so now it's spreading to the other brands.

Back