Better batteries through biology?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Lithium-air batteries have become a hot research area in recent years: They hold the promise of drastically increasing power per battery weight, which could lead, for example, to electric cars with a much greater driving range. But bringing that promise to reality has faced a number of challenges, including the need to develop better, more durable materials for the batteries’ electrodes and improving the number of charging-discharging cycles the batteries can withstand.

Now, MIT researchers have found that adding genetically modified viruses to the production of nanowires — wires that are about the width of a red blood cell, and which can serve as one of a battery’s electrodes — could help solve some of these problems.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/better-batteries-through-biology-1113.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, great. They use 'guided evolution', meaning they induce mutations in a virus, then collect the ones they like. What could possibly go wrong with that scenario...?

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, great. They use 'guided evolution', meaning they induce mutations in a virus, then collect the ones they like. What could possibly go wrong with that scenario...?

Nothing other then a failed battery! this stuff isn't a movie or voodoo, the programming is broken so it would no longer function as en effective virous in a biological system.

Just like when I heavy customize my computer most viruses crash becuase what they target is no longer there or the same name as what it was origionaly looking for.

So enjoy seranwrapping your house and the tin foil hat, but allas there is no need for either! ;)

The problem with these Metal Air batteries is that they have limited re-charges or no re-charge what's so ever but do hold a punch of energy. Tesla is looking at these as an extended pack for the added range if needed. Possibly for the Model E. After use they will need to be replaced. Some will take 2 or 3 charges and that's it. They will work along side the normal packs.

XeonPony said:
LeftieBiker said:

Nothing other then a failed battery! this stuff isn't a movie or voodoo, the programming is broken so it would no longer function as en effective virous in a biological system.

Just like when I heavy customize my computer most viruses crash becuase what they target is no longer there or the same name as what it was origionaly looking for.

So enjoy seranwrapping your house and the tin foil hat, but allas there is no need for either! ;)

Thanks for the insult, but I was implying that safeguards have a way of failing, later if not sooner. BTW, the word is "virus."

+1. I even managed to locate it. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker said:
XeonPony said:
LeftieBiker said:

Thanks for the insult, but I was implying that safeguards have a way of failing, later if not sooner. BTW, the word is "virus."

Good you grasp spelling but still fail to grasp that they are not even using a human virus, they are using a bacteriphage. So again you fail. I wasn't trying to insult you at first, but now-----.

LeftieBiker said:

We do this. We have mutations with every generation of our offspring (introduce mutations). If we have **** ugly kids, when they grow up they're less likely to have children (or the alternative, in which society collects the ones they like).

I think you misunderstand the way this works and could benefit from some research.

Back